PDA

View Full Version : FYI - Rogers Canada down

goldenboy
08-26-2004, 10:03 AM
In case anyone cares, Rogers in Canada, had problems with their GPRS services for the Blackberry.
Pin to Pin works only periodically.

ScOObydoo
08-26-2004, 10:48 AM
Maybe RIM is doing some work, T-mo was down earlier today...

finch
08-26-2004, 12:51 PM
Gee there's a shock a problem with the Rogers network. Still month to month we keep giving to the Teddy fund...

Mark Rejhon
08-27-2004, 10:39 AM
I noticed abnormal delays on my BWC email but no problems with BES/MDS email yet. I may have missed any general GPRS outages though.

finch
08-27-2004, 11:04 AM
I started forwarding a copy of my email right from the domain to my direct BB address (user@<hidden>) to wave the delay times.

JE$U$
08-27-2004, 03:48 PM
BWC polling is garbage - a 15-20 minute delay kind of reduces the benefit of 'instant push' email....

I'm set up to forward direct to my @<hidden> address now.

ScOObydoo
08-27-2004, 04:10 PM
BWC polling is garbage - a 15-20 minute delay kind of reduces the benefit of 'instant push' email....

I'm set up to forward direct to my @<hidden> address now.

I've done this since day one, I used to wait on my Sidekick every 10-20 minutes untill i setup the instant forwarding, email now usually arrives on my Berry before it even hits Outlook...

JE$U$
08-27-2004, 08:13 PM
Why can't they set BWC to poll the email account like every minute or something? I realize that the ISP's wouldn't really like their POP's hit so often, but is it that big a deal?

What do you think of the Sidekick? How exactly does their email handling system work?

bb_tech
08-27-2004, 09:34 PM
Why can't they set BWC to poll the email account like every minute or something? I realize that the ISP's wouldn't really like their POP's hit so often, but is it that big a deal?

What do you think of the Sidekick? How exactly does their email handling system work?

The reason it is 15 minutes is because ISP were denying access to RIM's BWC polling engines because they were overloading the mail servers. 15min is the least amount of time they can poll without being blocked by ISPs.

kirson
08-28-2004, 12:32 AM
Is there ANY disadvantage to forwarding ISP email to BWC, rather than having BWC poll POP3 accounts? I have always used forwarding - I even use it with my current Mailstreet exchange account. Why settle for ANY delay using polling, when forwarding is essentially instant?

Or am I missing something here? And isn't it more secure to forward from ISP rather than having to set up ANOTHER location with access to my POP3 account? Just curious...

Mark Rejhon
08-28-2004, 10:07 PM
Forwarding to BWC works excellently. Some people want a realtime synchronized mailbox though (messages that gets deleted on one device gets deleted from all, including desktop), while others want to be able to use their existing webmail systems.

However, I do forwarding to my BWC email address all the time for my spam-free email addresse (I have never gotten spam on my Blackberry, thanks to my careful email address management, and I don't even have a spam filter)

JE$U$
08-29-2004, 02:24 PM
Only problem I have with forwarding to BWC is that if somebody sends me a large attachment, the BWC sends an auto reply saying that the message couldn't be delivered even though it was delivered to my Exchange account (just not to the BB). I get calls every once in a while from people complaining that they can't send me emails because my mailbox is full....small annoyance to deal with for instant mobile email though!

headtailgrep
09-12-2004, 07:41 PM
Regarding forwarding:

If you forward to a BWC account, call your provider and ask them for 'extra storage' -- they can increase your quota to 50 megs.. at least on Rogers this is possible and it's for a minimal fee. This alleviated the bounced message problem.

Unfortunately this only works for java blackberries, as the mobitex units on Rogers are still only 10 megs..

Secondly, forwarding to the blackberry is great. If you have a 957/857 you can use Sparrow e-mail client and seperate all your email accounts..

forwarding kicks ass and this is the only way i'd ever do it.. polling on BWC just blows..