PDA

View Full Version : Bold Not Yet Available, But Bold Accessories Are.

JG in SB
07-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Just on a whim, I decided to see if any charging stands were available (or planned for) the Bold.

I did a search, and to my great surprise, I found one. Not only that, but it is manufactured by RIM specifically for the Bold. And supposedly even in stock.

You can see it here: RIMŽ BlackBerry 9000 Bold Charging Pod, #ASY-14396-003 - eXpansys Inc (http://www.expansys-usa.com/p.aspx?i=169469)

I was able to place an order for one. I will post back when it shows up.

I guess the good news is that if RIM has released Bold accessories to vendors, the Bold itself can not be too far off (not days, but maybe within one or two months).

akosnitzky
07-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

I will wait to see if I can get the device first. Thank you for the link.

btaylor1
07-08-2008, 03:56 PM
interesting you started this thread. i remain interested in getting a comfort plus quality car kit for 9000 bold, if and when at&t can/will ever sell me one to replace my 8820, and i was looking just last night again but didn't see a good option

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9000-series-discussion-bold/130453-car-kit-9000-a.html

alee
07-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Is there actually a charging port on the bottom of the Bold? From the images I've seen, I have only noticed a battery door release button.

btaylor1
07-08-2008, 04:58 PM
interesting. only now (in response to your message) have i looked at side views and (duh...) discovered the bold 9000 apparently will not have charging port(s) on the side like my 8820 does. thanks for alerting me to this issue.

BlackBerry Bold - 360 (http://www.blackberry.com/blackberrybold/360/)

i really want (or at least prefer) charge capability for any car kit for the bold 9000. wonder if it won't be feasible

JSylvia007
07-08-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm not sure what you mean about there being no charging port on the side. I just looked @<hidden> the 360 view and its clearly there... MiniUSB. Just like almost every bberry in existence.

I hope there is a charging port on the bottom though. Ive been waiting to get a dock for this bberry, i held off with my curve.

BryanHarig
07-08-2008, 07:21 PM
He does not mean the standard miniUSB charging port. Since the 8100 blackberries have also had 2 copper contacts somewhere on their side or bottom so they can be slid into a cradle charger without plugging anything in. Like an electric razor or toothbrush

austink
07-08-2008, 08:17 PM
He does not mean the standard miniUSB charging port. Since the 8100 blackberries have also had 2 copper contacts somewhere on their side or bottom so they can be slid into a cradle charger without plugging anything in. Like an electric razor or toothbrush

The charging ports are on the sides near the bottom. They are those little ovals below the convenience keys.

MBW
07-08-2008, 09:46 PM
interesting. only now (in response to your message) have i looked at side views and (duh...) discovered the bold 9000 apparently will not have charging port(s) on the side like my 8820 does. thanks for alerting me to this issue.

BlackBerry Bold - 360 (http://www.blackberry.com/blackberrybold/360/)

i really want (or at least prefer) charge capability for any car kit for the bold 9000. wonder if it won't be feasible

I've been spending a lot of squinty hours researching car kits, getting them in for review, putting them through their paces, etc.

I have yet to find one that doesn't disappoint me - some even anger me.

Hogging the lighter plug (for the ones that aren't hard-wired) is an almost universal phenomenon.

I think the large populations now required to drive hands-free will soon compel some smarter solutions, but for the most part, we're probably talking January.

J
07-09-2008, 08:58 AM
That's a hefty charger! I love it though...

I have the charging pod for my 8300. It's awesome.

I think I'll wait a bit longer before I go ordering a charger for the bold, I'd like to hear a release date first!

JG in SB
07-09-2008, 01:36 PM
That's a hefty charger! I love it though...

I have the charging pod for my 8300. It's awesome.

I think I'll wait a bit longer before I go ordering a charger for the bold, I'd like to hear a release date first!

I have never seen a "charging pod" before. I use a practical, but not very stylish, USB based charging cradle for my current 8800.

Just to confirm, I was actually able to order the BB9000 charging pod yesterday. Since there was a glitch with the website, I ended up talking to a rep from Expansys on the phone. He confirmed that: a) the charging pod is a genuine RIM part, and b) that their system shows the product will be in their warehouse and available to ship this week.

My purpose in starting this thread was not to encourage everyone to rush out and buy accessories before the actual handset is available :razz: My point is this: if RIM is actually releasing accessories to vendors right now, the the handset can't be too far off. I am optimistic we'll see it in August. And mine will have a nice RIM charger pod ready and waiting for it to go into :smile:

J
07-09-2008, 01:56 PM
I'm sorry JB, I by no means meant to imply that informing us via this thread that 9000 acessories was silly or trivival (I'm excited beyond comprehension!!!)

I was just saying that I want the release date to feel a bit more real for me! It will be HARD AS HELL for me to have the pod but no bold! LOL I cannot subject myself t such torture! I don't have the composure for it! ha!

I wish I saw more accessories readily avail for the bold! I'm so happy to see that pod, really, so thanks for sharing.

btaylor1
07-09-2008, 01:58 PM
echo thx JB

Joshiyama
07-11-2008, 04:48 PM
The charging ports are on the sides near the bottom. They are those little ovals below the convenience keys.

I always wondered what those are for? I always thought they were to catch dirt and crud. Thanks for the info. (y)

The BlackBerry Kid
07-11-2008, 06:00 PM
i saw them, kinda wierd

J
07-12-2008, 08:08 AM
Anyone in NY/NJ happen to know where you can buy a pod for the bold and other BB's, in a store, in person somewhere? Trying to make a deadline Bday gift! Ugh.

Cory Scheuer
07-12-2008, 11:14 AM
well you wont find a Bold accessory anywhere in store yet...

J
07-12-2008, 03:17 PM
sorry, really was being lazy and seeing if anyone knew where to buy pods in person for the pearl. I'm out of luck on bday date, I'm sure I won't find them anywhere, I know I should throw myself to the pearl forum. ::tisk tisk J:::

aloha all.

J
07-16-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm just thinking, if they make a CLIP for the bold like they have for the curve- I'll be a bit hesitant to use it seeing what my clip did to my curve after prolonged use.

Sorry just thinking out loud and dreaming of the curve before I leave my desk!

btaylor1
07-18-2008, 03:36 PM
apologies if this has been posted before but today i saw this youtube video of a bold. it showed the bottom of the device but i'm still a little confused where the charging contacts would be for any car kit later

YouTube - BlackBerry Bold (http://youtube.com/watch?v=SZ-kHMXGbDc&feature=related)

JG in SB
07-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Just a quick update....my order of the charging pod is MIA. I am beginning to think they did not get these accessories in stock. I'll update when more info is available.

NCBuckeye
07-21-2008, 01:56 PM
That doesn't suprise me, I was suprised when they said they had them in stock.

JG in SB
09-09-2008, 12:44 PM
I was surprised to find a notification in my inbox this morning that the charging cradle I ordered back in July has SHIPPED.

Why is this of any interest you ask?

I had asked Expansys why they were not shipping sooner and they said that RIM had been miffed at them for releasing these accessories for sale in advance of the US release date for the handset. If RIM has authorized them to sell these cradles, then the Bold itself may not be too far behind.

Let's hope...