PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Manager 4.7

WorldIRC
07-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Just installed it. At this point, it's nothing special. Media Manager installation is obviously integrated into it. I haven't played with it yet. The DM part though looks almost identical to 4.5. I haven't seen any tweaks or mods yet. When I get home late tonight I'll take a deeper look.

Sith_Apprentice
07-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Switch Device doesnt work on the version i have seen. :sad:

WorldIRC
07-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Weird. I don't really use that feature anyways. When I upgraded my OS I just backup and restore..then BES does the rest for me.

However, switch device is a little different than for my needs so I can't comment on it!

sgt-d
07-09-2008, 09:52 PM
any place i can look for this?

sgt-d
07-09-2008, 09:52 PM
or a site for more information?

WorldIRC
07-09-2008, 10:37 PM
No, not really.

palletta
08-21-2008, 03:46 AM
Just installed it. At this point, it's nothing special. Media Manager installation is obviously integrated into it. I haven't played with it yet. The DM part though looks almost identical to 4.5. I haven't seen any tweaks or mods yet. When I get home late tonight I'll take a deeper look.

I've installed 4.6 but ther's a problem with the outlook syncronization.
Maybe it has been resolved in 4.7

shivers316
08-21-2008, 05:04 AM
Someone needs to read the rules.

jsshapiro
08-21-2008, 10:47 AM
I think I see the "BAN" BUS DRIVER coming...

sheldonbk
08-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Still using 4.6 when it was released. Slow but otherwise, ok.
I assume 4.7 isn't an official release. I'll wait for the next official release and hopefully have the option not to install Roxio.

palletta
08-25-2008, 05:38 AM
I've tried to install 4.6 but I've got problem with Outlook synchronization(system file error?). Maybe this version resolve it..Is it there anybody that can give the download link?

sheldonbk
08-27-2008, 02:24 PM
It seems I'm having the same problem as others with 4.6 (don't know if it's a 4.6 bug for all or if it's something on my system) - can't backup my BB. (Can backup applications with the Switch Application backup trick that John posted.)

Is this still a problem with DM 4.7

ChestR_MolestR
08-27-2008, 02:43 PM
looks all the same 2 me

NJBlackBerry
08-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Can't backup my BB using DM 4.7 either.

stealthx32
08-27-2008, 04:37 PM
What's the last good known DM that will backup properly? 4.3?

sheldonbk
08-27-2008, 07:30 PM
What's the last good known DM that will backup properly? 4.3?

I thought 4.5 was ok but it seemed much slower than 4.6 (if that's possible). I'm not running 4.5 though so I can't say for sure.

Can we go back to DM 4.3 if we're running OS 4.5 though?

aapierre
09-08-2008, 04:49 PM
I've just installed 4.6 but now i can't get DM to connect to it at all.

Odd though, cos my pc is busy moving files off my 2gb media card via a usb connector onto my 8gb card which is in my phone.

anyone got any advice how my pc will see the mass media storage side but DM will not connect to the curve?

voltone
09-09-2008, 02:55 AM
you have to turn off mass media storage. you cant connect to DM if mass emdia storage is turned on.

Options>Media Card [uncheck Mass Media Storage]

aapierre
09-09-2008, 03:31 AM
does that mean you then are tied to using the roxio media manager for loading the media card?

voltone
09-09-2008, 03:46 AM
I dont understand. If you use media card, you can just access the card through My Computer > Media Card. If MMS is turned off, you have to go through Roxio.

aapierre
09-09-2008, 04:15 AM
@<hidden> voltone

thanks, i think i am not explaining myself very well.

I like to load my music and pictures onto my media card by using the media card like a memory stick.
Thus when i connect my curve to my pc it flashes up as a temporary drive and i can just drag and drop onto it from there.

If i disable the mass media storage option then surely this process will disappear and i then have to use Roxio to load the card which is what i am trying to avoid.

Hope that explains my process better.

Of course if there is a better [quicker] way to load music onto the card then i'd be glad to hear that route.

voltone
09-09-2008, 06:19 AM
You could always buy a card reader and put the micro SD card in there.

aapierre
09-09-2008, 06:23 AM
or do as i did this morning and ditch 4.6 and go back to 4.5

why on earth would RIM develop a bit of software that requires you to be tied in to one solution to loading music or take the phone apart to get the media card out?

daft, just daft to make their software take a step backwards instead of increasing operability.

sheldonbk
09-09-2008, 06:49 AM
or do as i did this morning and ditch 4.6 and go back to 4.5

why on earth would RIM develop a bit of software that requires you to be tied in to one solution to loading music or take the phone apart to get the media card out?

daft, just daft to make their software take a step backwards instead of increasing operability.

Two things... (i) I just use explorer to move media files to and from my BB. It's much faster and doesn't require loading software that conflicts with my Nero media suite.

(ii) Some questions... Are you able to backup in 4.5? What was the last version without this bug? Do you have to do anything special to go back to an earlier version or do you just reinstall it?

aapierre
09-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Two things... (i) I just use explorer to move media files to and from my BB. It's much faster and doesn't require loading software that conflicts with my Nero media suite.

(ii) Some questions... Are you able to backup in 4.5? What was the last version without this bug? Do you have to do anything special to go back to an earlier version or do you just reinstall it?

i - i thought the whole point of swithcing off mass media mode was that you then couldn't use windows explorer to surf your media card.

ii - i still had the install file in my downloads folder so it was a simple case of removing 4.6 and then installing 4.5. Backup this am worked a treat.

sheldonbk
09-09-2008, 04:02 PM
i - i thought the whole point of swithcing off mass media mode was that you then couldn't use windows explorer to surf your media card.

ii - i still had the install file in my downloads folder so it was a simple case of removing 4.6 and then installing 4.5. Backup this am worked a treat.

Removed DS 4.6. Reinstalled DS 4.5. Still have backup problems - switched to manual backup & found still backup browser data cache or profiles.

I don't know about switching off mass media mode. What I don't install is the Roxiio component of DS & I do media management with windows explorer.

voltone
09-10-2008, 02:37 AM
i think that DM 4.5 also had the software that amde you choose MMS or Roxio.

Cyberblade
09-10-2008, 05:54 AM
Also hab problems with backups on 4.6 b008 than removed it, deleted all files from programs folder and also removed registry keys and common files! Then reinstalled 4.6 b015 and everything works fine now!

Cyberblade
09-10-2008, 06:02 AM
Sorry 4 my bad englisch ;-)

HaTaX
09-11-2008, 01:59 AM
Why not just set "Auto enable mass storage mode when connected" to prompt? If you want to use DM, just ignore the prompt or answer no, and if you want to copy files to and from the microSD card, answer yes.

I have a password on my device, so no matter what I need to enter my PW to enable mass storage mode if I want to read the memory card. Otherwise I just ignore it and do what I need to with DM.

sheldonbk
09-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Why not just set "Auto enable mass storage mode when connected" to prompt? If you want to use DM, just ignore the prompt or answer no, and if you want to copy files to and from the microSD card, answer yes.

I have a password on my device, so no matter what I need to enter my PW to enable mass storage mode if I want to read the memory card. Otherwise I just ignore it and do what I need to with DM.

Thx!!
I didn't know that "auto enable mass storage" to prompt was an option.
I'd rather have my pswd protection, but right now support for BBSmart's alarms program together with AutoStandby is more important. It works when locked but takes too long for me to turn off the alarm and I don't want my wife waking up in a bad mood. (I guess I could use my old fashioned - IPOD - Alarm clock and have the best of both worlds.) LOL

stealthx32
10-12-2008, 03:09 AM
I thought 4.5 was ok but it seemed much slower than 4.6 (if that's possible). I'm not running 4.5 though so I can't say for sure.

Can we go back to DM 4.3 if we're running OS 4.5 though?

I just went back to DM 4.3 to install 4.5.0.81 because 4.6 nor 4.7 would do it. Smoothest install experience I've had in a while...