PDA

View Full Version : Rogers Canada Promo: 6GB for $30/mo available on BlackBerry Bold!

Mark Rejhon
07-09-2008, 11:14 AM
I heard that 6GB for $30 promotion is also available on BlackBerry or any SmartPhone, available until August 31st, 2008.

If true, this is an amazing rate I'd be happy to sign a 3-year contract with for BlackBerry Bold, even though I'm month-by-month currently (so I believe, anyway).

Apparently from Rogers's spokeswoman's mouth, Elizabeth Hamilton, according to this article, if true:
Electronista | Rogers to offer $30 6GB iPhone 3G plan (http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/07/09/rogers.6gb.iphone.3g/)
"...the 6GB plan isn't limited to the iPhone 3G and will apply to any 3G-capable smartphone sold by Rogers or Fido during the timespan, including the BlackBerry Bold..."
The negative news about Rogers' high iPhone rates have probably caused them to cave in.

Only two months ago, we had to pay $60 for 25MB.

Yay! :smile:

mobile_pheen
07-09-2008, 03:42 PM
direct link to news release:
Rogers.com (http://micro.newswire.ca/release.cgi?rkey=1607093105&view=5804-0&Start=0)

noelstrom
07-09-2008, 09:49 PM
I wonder if non 3G phones can also get it - I'd love the freedom of 6 gigs of data on my Pearl

roofus
07-10-2008, 07:01 AM
So Telus and Bell what is your response . . . . . . . ?

Sith_Apprentice
07-10-2008, 07:40 AM
So Telus and Bell what is your response . . . . . . . ?

Charging for incoming text messages :razz:

roofus
07-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Charging for incoming text messages :razz:

They may regret that decision because they have attracted the interest of the industry minister. Traditionally the Canadian carriers have been left alone to exploit their customers to the fullest:

Industry minister calls on Bell, Telus to explain new text charges (http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2008/07/09/ndp-messaging.html)

Mark Rejhon
07-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Telephoned Rogers, they say the plan is available beginning tomorrow.

Also, some more info from the popular 20,000-view thread in the Rogers forum of HowardForums, many confirmations that this plan actually exists upon Bold launch (or even July 11, existing BlackBerry subs can call in and change their BlackBerry plan)

Just got confirmed info:

$30/6GB

DSP - DAT6GBX3 *3 year term only
BB - BB6GBIS3 *3 year term only -Tip: take this one whether you need it or not, because if you need BIS later and you can't get it you are gonna kick yourself.

Standard DECF applies

Data only customers are not elligible. Must be added to Any voice plan.

2G phones or grey market phones are elligible for this offer if requested.

Tethering is allowed, it just can't be activated on an aircard.

FOR ROGERS:
THis is what the agents have.

Eligible
New and existing BlackBerry users (BIS only)
New and existing PDA/Windows Mobile users.
2G phones or non Rogers phones are eligible for this offer if requested.

Non-eligible
Data only customers.
PC Cards not eligible

Requirements A voice plan on the account when adding the new promotional option is required
Existing customers must renew their service agreement on 3 year term

Term Length 3 year term
Data ECF applies
Available to all Rogers subscribers July 11 (tomorrow!)

This is a great day for Canada. From 25 megabytes for $60/month :shock: to 6 gigabytes for just $30/month in less than 2 months! Data rates finally similiar to U.S. mobile companies! Thank you, iPhone and consumer pressure!
:smile:

We still have a problem with other costs, such as text messaging (charged for incoming messages on Bell and Telus), and caller ID costs $7. But finally, Canadian data rates are slowly becoming a lot more sensible than before!

KeyLoveMobile
07-13-2008, 10:20 PM
We still have a problem with other costs, such as text messaging (charged for incoming messages on Bell and Telus), and caller ID costs $7.
And also BES users: $10 more for 5,993 fewer MB.

Any word if Rogers is going to change enterprise prices?

Jagga
07-15-2008, 04:50 PM
And also BES users: $10 more for 5,993 fewer MB.

Any word if Rogers is going to change enterprise prices?

Nothing as of yet.

Mark Rejhon
07-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Nothing as of yet.I got word that Rogers are going to do something about it -- fuming mad BES admins at corporations trying to tighten things, have been asking their Rogers rep and something seems up.

At least data bucket equalization, but still higher prices relative to the non-promo prices. I'd imagine $45 or $60 for 300megs and $125 for 6gigs -- but at least relief is coming.

Let's see what happens when Rogers launches the BlackBerry Bold on July 25th (rumored date).

Here's a FAQ posted on HowardForums for you Rogers subscribers:
FAQ: New Rogers Data Plans 6GB/$30 for All Smartphones Including BlackBerry (http://www.howardforums.com/showpost.php?p=11375527&postcount=755)