PDA

View Full Version : I need help with streaming radio

French
07-10-2008, 06:36 AM
I've searched and read many threads here, but I'm just not getting it. I'm looking for some "Streaming 101" help here.

I have a Curve 8330 w Verizon.

For some reason Moodio does not work for me.

I have BerryTunes 2.5 and while it does play the built in stations, I'm not overly impressed with what I've found on there so far.

I found a local station that I love using thestreamcenter/pda, and I was able to play it on my Treo 755P, but can't on my Blackberry. It says it's in wmp.

What exactly are the criteria for a streaming station to play on the Curve? And how come I can find all my local stations that have online playing capability, but my BB can't play them? I've tried going to their site on the BB and selecting play just like I would on the computer and it doesn't do anything. Not even an error message.

How does one find good stations without the use of third party software? Is there a way to bookmark them with original BB software?

What "types" of streams play on the Curve, and what don't? I've read things about .pls links, and I'm not even sure how to find them.

I appreciate any and all help. This is the last thing I haven't been able to get my BB to do as well or better than my old Treo, and I would love to get it working to my satisfaction. I would feel complete. :)

bsachais
07-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones who got Moodio to stream. I really simply just followed the instructions to set up my account. Then I chose stations from the lists at the Moodio site.

Barry

French
07-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones who got Moodio to stream. I really simply just followed the instructions to set up my account. Then I chose stations from the lists at the Moodio site.

Barry

I would love to know why yours does and mine doesn't. It opens the BB player, and the arrows indicate something is happening, but then I get nothing. In fact, now my BB is frozen.

Shaun
07-10-2008, 01:23 PM
moodio.fm is a solid web app. Please keep in mind it is at the mercy of compatible streams, and more so, accurate stream URLs provided by the users.

I would estimate 5-10% of the streams posted to moodio work when you attempt to stream. Your best bet is to talk to someone with the same OS, and device, that has a stream that they can confirm working, within the last several hours.

Streaming does work (as does moodio), but you have to search (trial and error) to get streams that work.

bsachais
07-10-2008, 07:13 PM
French, you and I have the same provider and the same BB, the 8330. Try using the stream from KPLU. It's under the jazz listings. As I typed this post I was streaming that station so I am 100% certain it works.

Barry

Shaun
07-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Here is a good place to start:

US Radio Stations - The Stream Center - Searchable list of America's streaming radio stations. (http://www.thestreamcenter.com/)

This will give you a solid list to work from when it comes to getting stream URLs. If a link gives you a PLS, then copy and paste the "File" from the PLS text and that is your URL. If it launches directly into a player onClick, then copy the link location, and finally if it launches into an SWF (Flash File), then I would suggest you move on.

French
07-11-2008, 06:53 AM
I think my issues are due to being BES and firewall is on. I can't turn it off so I think I'm stuck.

akosnitzky
07-11-2008, 09:28 AM
How is it doing with 4.5 users? I had no luck when I was on 4.2

Shaun
07-11-2008, 10:20 AM
How is it doing with 4.5 users? I had no luck when I was on 4.2

I had very little success on 4.2, but RIM has clearly made big strides in getting streaming to work. I have been having good results with 4.5 + moodio.fm.