PDA

View Full Version : Any work around for IT disabled SMS and PIN

skygirl65
07-13-2008, 04:34 PM
My company has disabled the PIN and SMS on all our blackberries. We all get text's from our family and friends, but we can't reply. Are there any work arounds for this? Some of my team carry a second cell phone just so they can text (especially if they have kids). This is crazy. I tried google talk, but (of course) IT had disabled that too.

stevetaz
07-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Why would you want to bypass the company's wishes? Wouldn't that be grounds for termination?

This is probably one of the reasons your company went with the BB platform...To maintain control of their network, devices and bandwith.

I am afraid you will have to get a personal phone to send texts if that is what the company wants....

SteveTaz

jlink38
07-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Why don't you just ask them? You will get fired from your job for doing that. That would be defacing company property.

takeshi
07-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Are there any work arounds for this?
1. Ask IT to grant you an exception from the IT policies.
2. Keep your BB off their BES.

That's it.

juwaack68
07-14-2008, 08:49 AM
There seems to be a rash of 'how do I get around company policy' threads lately.

No, there is no way around the security that is enforced on a BlackBerry connected to a company BES.

As others stated, you can try talking to your IT Dept/BES Admin, but they probably have good reasons for disabling it. One reason I can think of is if the company is paying for the device and the plan, and you're using text messaging for personal use, the device's plan may not include SMS - and is therefore an added expense. Given that you're using it for personal use, they disable it.

jlink38
07-14-2008, 10:13 AM
There seems to be a rash of 'how do I get around company policy' threads lately.

No, there is no way around the security that is enforced on a BlackBerry connected to a company BES.

As others stated, you can try talking to your IT Dept/BES Admin, but they probably have good reasons for disabling it. One reason I can think of is if the company is paying for the device and the plan, and you're using text messaging for personal use, the device's plan may not include SMS - and is therefore an added expense. Given that you're using it for personal use, they disable it.

Right. SMS is not part of any plan on any carrier lately, so many companies choose not to use it, especially if PIN messaging and e-mail are included in the BES package.

Sith_Apprentice
07-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Not entirely certain why they disabled PIN messaging though. Would have been just as easy to let you PIN inside the organization for communication, but once its a policy you cant bypass it, only ask it to be changed.