PDA

View Full Version : SMS Text

tlmac
07-14-2008, 12:36 PM
I know this question is quite possibly and probably is in here already but I couldn't find it. I just got a blackberry but I can't send texts. There are no errors, it just shows a little red "x"when I try to send something. I came across something that said I had to configure something. I dont have a clue what its talking about. Do I need to call my company and set something up before I can use it, or am I just missing the obvious?

BCollins521
07-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Call Rogers and make sure they have sent all the service books to your BB...is it a Roger's BB? You might also need to put in the SMS service number, I don't know that off hand since I use T-Mobile

tlmac
07-14-2008, 01:21 PM
I found out everything is set up, its that I'm not able to send texts when I'm using a number from my contacts/address book. It works when I type the same number in though. I called the BB tech support and he said that I'd just have to type the number in manually when I wanted to text. I don't remember every number, thus why they're in my contact list. I'm thinking that would kind of make the address book useless so there HAS to be a way around this. Does anybody know? Maybe I'm entering my numbers in my address book wrong or something(yes they're entered as 10 digits).

JSanders
07-14-2008, 01:30 PM
**threads merged, nice to keep it all in one place**

Go to your Phone dial screen > Menu > Options > Smart Dialing. Set your information required there.

Reboot the device by pulling the battery and replacing it.

tlmac
07-14-2008, 01:34 PM
I dont have a smart dialing option.

JSanders
07-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Yes you do. Look again where I stated.

Press the GREEN dial key, then menu, options...

tlmac
07-14-2008, 01:40 PM
My mistake. I'm too new with this phone. I found it but I don't see what I'm supposed to change. Everything looks fine.

JSanders
07-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Your area code, national number length, etc.? all correct?

Then you should be set to go.

Are you on a corporate BES system?

tlmac
07-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Yea, its all correct, +1, the area code is empty becuase we have 2 area codes here, and 10 digit national number length. Am I maybe somehow entering these numbers into my address book wrong?

JSanders
07-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Enter your area code. And enter ALL your area codes + number in your Address Book.

That is your problem.

tlmac
07-14-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm not sure what the BES thing is you're talking about, but its a personal phone. I bought it for myself. Could it still be BES?

tlmac
07-14-2008, 01:49 PM
I do enterthe area code. In my address book and in my texts. Thats why I'm lost with this. The number in the contact list and the number I'm entering are all the same. 10 digit numbers. In the smart dialing options is where the area code is empty. Unless I can somehow put 2 or 3 different area codes. Cause in BC we use 778,604, and 250

JSanders
07-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Did you buy it used? It "could" have a BES IT Policy which excludes SMS, but I don't think that is the case here... I think you need to enter the area code for your phone.

tlmac
07-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Awesome. I think that worked. I saved my coworker as a contact and sent one to him and it worked fine. So I'm hoping the rest will work. If so..thanks sooo much!!

takeshi
07-15-2008, 09:59 AM
I do enterthe area code. In my address book and in my texts. Thats why I'm lost with this. The number in the contact list and the number I'm entering are all the same. 10 digit numbers. In the smart dialing options is where the area code is empty. Unless I can somehow put 2 or 3 different area codes. Cause in BC we use 778,604, and 250
You need to enter your area code. We use 3 area codes here as well in Houston. It doesn't need all 3. It just needs to know the area code for your number.

Still, I suspect that your issue is on the carrier side. It's extremely rare that SMS issues on the BB are due to settings on the BB. Most SMS issues seem to be provisioning issues.

tlmac
07-15-2008, 10:45 AM
It works now!! You guys were rights..I just needed to enter my area code and so far..no problems!! Thanks a much everyone!!!

biguns
07-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the help Mr. Sanders. For some reason I had to do this to my My Faves contacts after I upgraded to OS 4.5.

JSanders
07-18-2008, 02:59 PM
(y) thanks for reporting back! It helps others confirm they can fix their issue via the same method.