PDA

View Full Version : Help! Can I get a data plan as a gift for someone else's blackberry?

hypoxia1
07-19-2008, 10:01 AM
I am wondering if it is possible to buy someone a data plan for their blackberry. I want it to be a gift so I want to pay for it and take care of everything. I don't want them to be hassled in any way by it so it would be great if they didn't have to do anything and I could take care of everything. Also it would be awsesome if it was a surprise and they don't know I bought them the plan until i tell them. Does anyone know if this is possible?

dasunst3r
07-19-2008, 10:30 AM
I think you and your friend should sit down next to the phone, call up his/her customer service, and see what they can work out. I think it's likely you'll just have to fork over the cash once every month to your friend.

stevetaz
07-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Have you called their carrier to inquire? I assume they already have the BB and an account. I suppose you don't want to get them a Gift Card that would cover the cost for a year or two? Maybe they would have a Gift Program for exactly that reason?

Not sure that you would be permitted access to the OPs account information to be able to make payments for them. And if you only want to pay for the data part, the OP has to remain as the account owner.

Interesting idea, but the carrier is probably to one to ask....I am sure others with more experience will have better thoughts.

In my case as a surprise gift, I bought the phone for my daughter and pay for the entire cost for the contract so the phone and account is in my name.

SteveTaz

JSanders
07-19-2008, 10:50 AM
The carrier is not going to let an unconnected party to the account ADD expenses to the account with approval of the account owner.

And, I just highly doubt they're going to add it to a person's account yet bill a third party for a portion of the expense. IMO.

stevetaz
07-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Well, she did her part by having her best semester in college this spring so I thought it was her time.

Besides, now I can find her more often!!! And I will tell you, getting her the Curve and unlimited texting.....I am still on her "good" list months later. And if you have a 20-year-old, you know that is HUGE!!! ;-)

SteveTaz

Good man, Steve! (y) It's nice to have parents out there who give their kids awesome surprise gifts like phones.

KimMazz
07-19-2008, 12:28 PM
I am still on her "good" list months later. And if you have a 20-year-old, you know that is HUGE!!! ;-)

That is nothing short of a miracle!!!! i I know I have a 19 yr old and a 17 yr old!!