PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! Stuck on "Connecting to Device"

KAMP
07-22-2008, 02:42 PM
I am trying to install the .52 OS from the RIM site on my 8700c and the installation gets hung up on "connecting to device" for over an hour. Ultimately, the installation times out with an error message that says something about possibly needing a password (but the one time I was prompted for a password, at the beginning of the process, I entered it). I have tried several USB ports on the computer. This does not seem to prevent a reinstall of the 4.2 system, though. Weird.

After the failed install (which has happened several times), I am left with a blank screen and red light, and need to start from scratch.

(I apologize if you are seeing this twice - I posted a similar issue in reply to another thread a few weeks ago, but decided that it would be more appropriate in its own thread.)

I thought maybe it was an ATT issue, but I see that others with ATT have succesfully installed. :(

Any suggestions? Thanks!

KAMP
07-22-2008, 09:16 PM
OK - I managed to go through Application Loader (without the Desktop Manager running) and install the 4.5.0.52 software to the point that the Application Loader informs me: "the loading operation was successful"/"Your device's software has been updated successfully". (I went through the Application Loader after my last attempt to install through DM timed out as described above, and I was left with a red-blinking brick. Then nothing. Black screen. The handset did not attempt to reset. No hourglass. Not even the infamous red light.

Anyone? Please???

NickfromIL
07-22-2008, 09:18 PM
have you tried using JL_Cmder?

KAMP
07-22-2008, 09:48 PM
I tried that - it would not recognize the device, so I went into the app loader in DOS

NickfromIL
07-22-2008, 09:53 PM
How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_wipe_the_BlackBerry_using_Jl_Cmder%3F)

What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_to_do_next_if_Jl_Cmder_will_not_connect_and_wipe)

This can be a very long process timing it, getting it to connect without the battery first, but it almost always works eventually.

KAMP
07-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks. Unfortunately, I followed both posts with no luck. When jl_cmder failed to recognize the device, I followed the steps outlined in the second post you linked above. I was able to get through while USB:UNKNOWN still appeared, I reinserted the battery, and the loading process took it all the way to the message that "the loading operation was successful", but then nothing.

Does it make a difference that I am trying to install 4.5 when the last successful install (that actually worked - not just that said gave me the "operation was successful") was 4.2? Also - I have tried this on 2 computers now - my work laptop (probably should not be surprised that it did not work there) and my home computer.

When this happened previously, I was able to go through the steps in your post above and downgrade back to 4.2. Perhaps I can put 4.2 back on again, but I do not have the patience to reload the 4.2 software tonight. In any event, I know that others with my device and my carrier have been able to install the OS - wish I could figure out what my problem is.

Thanks again!

KAMP
07-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Is it possible to get the message that ""the loading operation was successful" if I got the timing wrong with the USB:UNKNOWN/battery pull/reinserting the battery thing? I guess I assumed that I got the timing right because of the message that things were successful, but now I am wondering if I should try it again...