PDA

View Full Version : Creating a site for OTA theme downloads

BCollins521
07-23-2008, 08:02 AM
So I was kicking around the idea for making me a site for OTA downloads for the themes I create and as well as things for myself..I was going to use one of the free website hosting sites so I don't have to pay for it. Is that possible? I know I can export the theme as a jad, and I would imagine that I would need all the files that are exported when I do that on the server/site and just link the theme to that jad file.

Am I going the right direction?
Thanks
Brian

JSanders
07-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Shoot, if I were you I would hook up with one of the current theme sites, like themes4bb.com or themeberry.com or others.

MrKyoo
07-23-2008, 08:09 AM
^ I agree.

BCollins521
07-23-2008, 08:11 AM
I would but there are some things that I would like to put up there for myself and only myself so I can download it ota or have friends download it ota. Good idea and easier to do but just something I would rather have for myself as part of a portfolio for myself if I ever needed to show business or something like that

slmoney
07-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Speaking from experience...

MOST of the free web hosting out there does not support Apache, which is needed for the .htaccess file.

There are a few good, low cost sites, like 3ix.org. I used to use 3IX when I started Themes4BB, but outgrew it...it would be great for just hosting OTA or personal files.

Steve

BCollins521
07-23-2008, 08:16 AM
So apache IS needed for the ota files then...hmm...

BCollins521
07-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the info Steve, I just got off the chat with 3ix and looks like that is a pretty cheap thing for what I'm going to be using it for

Perfect Storm
07-23-2008, 09:01 AM
I'd recommend HostMonster. Very cheap, and plenty of room to grow.
Also, Apache is not are requirement. IIS will work fine if properly configured.

BCollins521
07-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Wirelessly posted (All the cool kids are doing it)

Thanks Storm I'll have to check them out too, 3ix is only 3 a month so that should fit my needs but I definatly want to check out all my options

Brian

wu-wei
07-23-2008, 09:28 AM
If you only want it for yourself, export the JAD package to your SD card and navigate to it using the Media > Explorer utility. It operates just like a local download. That's what I do for all my themes - saves me the hassle of firing up DM every time I tweak something.

BCollins521
07-23-2008, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the recomendation, this isn't just going to be for me. Plus I have tried that method and for some reason doesn't work on my Curve. Worked when I had my Pearl though

pipskicks
07-23-2008, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the recomendation, this isn't just going to be for me. Plus I have tried that method and for some reason doesn't work on my Curve. Worked when I had my Pearl though

Hmm I wonder why that doesn't work, in fact, I wonder why I never heard of it!

This seems like a great feature to have 3rd party software and themes that won't take up space, yet you can install and use them on the fly...

I'll have to look into this...8-)

slmoney
07-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Themes will still have to "take up space" on your resident memory. They need to be physically installed onto the device. Themes will not work by just being stored on a media card.

NickfromIL
07-23-2008, 04:32 PM
WorldDeveloper.org (http://worlddeveloper.org/) is FREE and has the correct set up for OTA downloads

BCollins521
07-23-2008, 05:55 PM

I'll have to check world developer, doesn't look like anything on the BB but will have to check what it looks like on the computer.

BCollins521
07-23-2008, 06:33 PM

Anyone know if a server that is running tinyhttp would work? My brother has a server that he is running at his house and says that he is running that

cody
07-25-2008, 06:00 AM
WorldDeveloper.org (http://worlddeveloper.org/) is FREE and has the correct set up for OTA downloads

ok, i setup a worlddeveloper.org account. uploaded my files, and now cant figure out what address to link it all to.

hey, nickfromIL, can you give me an address to one of your files that i can use as an example?

either that or link me to some answers on there site. i saw a forum, but it looked dead. nothing could i find on there site myself.

i do like free though and want to get this going.

thanks, cody

wu-wei
07-25-2008, 08:41 AM
ok, i setup a worlddeveloper.org account. uploaded my files, and now cant figure out what address to link it all to.

hey, nickfromIL, can you give me an address to one of your files that i can use as an example?

either that or link me to some answers on there site. i saw a forum, but it looked dead. nothing could i find on there site myself.

i do like free though and want to get this going.

thanks, cody

I'm in the same boat. Cody, I sent you a note asking about it on worlddeveloper.

Anyone figured this things out? If I go into the gallery I can find my files, but it looks like they're all stored in different directories, which obviously won't work for loading the jad and cod files.

And yes, I realize that these questions don't really have much to do with the Media Center forum here on BBF....

wowthatisrandom
07-25-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm in the same boat. Cody, I sent you a note asking about it on worlddeveloper.

Anyone figured this things out? If I go into the gallery I can find my files, but it looks like they're all stored in different directories, which obviously won't work for loading the jad and cod files.

And yes, I realize that these questions don't really have much to do with the Media Center forum here on BBF....

all you have to do is upload the files to worlddeveloper in 1 folder...

login...

on the right click view my files

create a new folder

upload the 4-10 cods and the jad file... make them all public...

click on the jad... and u will see the download button at the top

right click the download icon and IE- copy shortcut firefox - copy link location

cant post a pic yet or link or id show u

NickfromIL
07-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Ok, I have had the problem where it put them all into different directories, and this is my workaround.

download this via PC: http://www.worlddeveloper.org/files/10845/com_plazmic_theme_SunsetCurve.jad

open it with notepad. Notice how I have gone in and entered the exact URL of each file.
what you need to do is upload each cod, change the option to PUBLIC, once they are all uploaded, look at each file and copy the shortcut for the download link and paste it into the jad. then upload the jad, and set it to public.

Yes, it's a PITA, but it's free. Since then I now have my own web server so I no longer use this.