PDA

View Full Version : Formatted media card and password encrypted photos not viewable

monkeypaw
07-24-2008, 05:41 PM
This was a crisis until I found a fix. Now it's more like a rant.

I upgraded to OS 4.5 and although its worked well for a few weeks, I decided to format the media card. So I copied the entire card to my PC, formatted the card and move the files back. I did not copy the .dat files so the BB would make new ones.

I do not have encrypted media enabled now, but have some old pictures that are encrypted using the password only. After copying all back, the pictures would not open and there was no thumbnail. I could not even move or copy the file. It gave some "File ___" error.

So I turned security on and off, set to device instead of password, etc. and nothing worked.

Then as a last resort I was going to copy the .dat files onto the card. Instead I decided to copy the "info.mkf (h)" that is in the "system" folder. The BB had created a new one, but I overwrote that and I can now view the files again. Luckily I saved that file rather than just the media files.

I haven't changed the password so I don't understand why it would not be able to read them without this file getting back on there. And why wouldn't it create a "info.mkf" file that would allow me to look at the old photos. Also why can't they make something to decrypt the files with the password on the PC? If you wanted higher levels of security so that they aren't viewable you'd use the device encryption or password and device.