PDA

View Full Version : jad to cod conversion issues

mike6432
07-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi, I'm having trouble getting a game installed on my blackberry. I do NOT have the blackberry data plan so I can't take OTA jad files. So I need to transfer files via USB.

I have scoured the forums for hours on how to convert a .jad file to cod and nothing has worked. I downloaded the Blackberry JDE 4.5.0 and java SDK (1.4) and I tried using the rapc command a billion times in a ton of combinations but I continually received the error message, error: no files to process...what's it talking about, I'm pointing to the correct filename in the right directory...that file IS there...

I copied the file into my bin dir, and I'm running rapc from that dir. I'm typing in... rapc import="c:\program files\reasearch in motion\blackberry jde 4.5.0\lib\net_rim_api.jar" codename=game -midlet jad=game.jad I also tried the JDE through windows, I opened the file, then clicked build, the log screen says file was built....then where is it? I don't think it worked. Please help. Thanks.

Shao128
07-28-2008, 01:30 PM
You might give this application a shot: brandon.berryreview (dot) com/j2a.html it can be a little buggy, but it generally works. Alternatively if you have an SD card in your BB you can copy the jar file to the card and install it from there.

Also keep in mind not all j2me applications will work on the BB, I have tried numerous games that would not work.

Moonshadow
07-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (8100 Pearl)

You might give this application a shot: brandon.berryreview (dot) com/j2a.html it can be a little buggy, but it generally works. Alternatively if you have an SD card in your BB you can copy the jar file to the card and install it from there.

Also keep in mind not all j2me applications will work on the BB, I have tried numerous games that would not work.

Nice tip

How do you actually access the jad file on your SD card from the BB in order to install it?

NickfromIL
07-28-2008, 03:30 PM
media player>menu>explore and launch from there

Your original problem is that the jad file only contains directions on where the cod files are located, not the actual data itself.

Moonshadow
07-29-2008, 07:04 AM

The jad file install from the media card worked great.

Can you do this with alx and cod files?

mike6432
07-31-2008, 07:11 AM
I don't have a media card/SD card, etc on my blackberry. I did however use roxio media mgr to put the jad file into the device memory folder, I tried to open it...I clicked download and it gave me an error.

Moonshadow
07-31-2008, 07:49 AM

It sounds to me that the media card is the key. Either that by loading the file into device memory and then trying tho install it takes up too much memory.

Moonshadow
07-31-2008, 07:50 AM

It sounds to me that the media card is the key. Either that by loading the file into device memory and then trying tho install it takes up too much memory.

Edit. You need to use both jar and jad files. One contains the directions for the install and the other contains the data itself. The jad is the smaller file and the jar is the data. You will need to load them both and then click on the jad file to install.

Edit2. Sorry about the double post. I got a communication error as it was being submitted and had to refresh. I guess in doing so it posted a second time.

mike6432
07-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Hey, well, maybe if I trace back further this may help.

I bought a game off handmark and they sent me the text to download the game, but no blackberry plan so that won't work. I have generic data, but no BB plan.

I did receive an email that said I can download the game though, so I did, and it's a jad file only...no jar file.

So then I tried all the things above, media mgr, rapc...I just hope I'm doing something wrong. Why would they offer the game as a computer download if it can only be delivered as OTA...?

any help, thanks!