PDA

View Full Version : Help! Bricked my 8830, can't reload OS...

csherg
08-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Hopefully someone out there can help me, have searched fruitlessly and have not found a solution to my problem.

It all started when I wanted to tether my 8830 World Edition to use as a modem through Verizon (yes I'm paying the $15 tethering fee). It would recognize the "Standard Modem" but couldn't connect. I figured this was due to the IT Policy on my phone (yeah, got it on eBay), and it needed an OS reload.

However, I couldn't reload the latest OS (4.2.2.296 I think). It went through the steps fine until the final Summary message about the software being updated. I clicked Finish, but then it would hang at the "Connecting to boot ROM" message, and eventually error out with a "Fatal Error".

I did some more research and read about doing a clean wipe with JL_CMDER. I downladed it, and did the wipe successfully (though quite unfortunately, it seems). I now see the 507 error indicating there is no OS on the phone.

But... yeah, you guessed it, the OS reload still does not work. Same error as before. It connects successfully, selects the software to be loaded, but then as soon as it tries to start the upload at "Connecting to boot ROM", it hangs and I get "A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again."

I am using Desktop Manager 4.5. I also tried with 4.3 and got the same result, though the error was slightly different (also uninformative). I have deleted the vendor.xml file as described in several posts here. I have also tried the instructions on the page called "What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ". I can't get this to work either, as I never see the "USB:UNKNOWN" (or anything) appear in the dropdown menu after removing and replacing the battery. Nada. The phone just sits there with the 507 error, mocking me.

After doing more research it sounds like the IT Policy actually lives in the ROM, thus, wasn't wiped when I ran JL_CMDER. I found some instructions involving a policy.bin file and a registry change for Desktop Manager. Tried this, and again, no dice. It seems like a catch 22 - I need to reload the OS to remove the IT Policy, but the IT Policy seems to be stopping me from reloading the OS.

Please, can anyone shed any light on this? I really, REALLY need to get this fixed in the next 36 hours, as I'm leaving for vacation Sunday morning and absolutely need the tethered internet access working by then... though at this point I'll settle for a working phone! Help!

Horizon Wireless
08-01-2008, 11:11 PM
If you can find 4.5 online, dont ask me where i dont know, you can do reset to factory using JL and you can remove the IT policy

csherg
08-02-2008, 01:04 PM
I found the 4.5 beta and installed it, but, it still won't load. Exact same problem as with 4.2, it hangs on "Connecting to boot ROM" and then errors out, and the USB device disappears.

I also tried doing a ressettofactory in JavaLoader, but I get "Error: unknown request". Presumably this is because the device still has the old firmware on it.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Is it possible to just brute-force wipe the ROM and start from scratch? I don't mind opening up the device if need be, I just need to get this figured out today, or I'm screwed in seven different directions. Anybody?

JSanders
08-02-2008, 01:19 PM
My best and only advice is to keep trying it. Reboot your PC and try again.

I have seen/heard on the forum here it finally working on the 10th try, 20th try, etc., and if you persist, you might get lucky.

JL_cmder can save 99% of the BBs, UNLESS there is some overriding hardware issue, and yours doesn't seem to be such.