PDA

View Full Version : cellular contract lawsuit? no more termination fees?

domerdel
08-03-2008, 03:11 PM
I heard from someone that they can no longer charge you early termination fees when you do something like a 2 year renewal upon a new phone purchase (i.e. verizon pearl). Can someone confirm? thinking about switching to AT&T but want to keep my number.

JSanders
08-03-2008, 03:13 PM
In California. Where are you?

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/142987-termination-fees-ruled-illegal-cali.html?highlight=early+termination

cmjanus
08-03-2008, 04:07 PM
I do not think they are illeagal yet. I am trying to getout of my Verizon contract as well. They suck!!!! The only thing I could find to break the contract was, if they altered the terms or raised fees. They did in May. They raised their adm fee by $0.15 a month. According to the contract they will let you terminate without a fee. However after 60 days they will not let you. I called and tried to terminate and they said it was after 60 days but they would have let out before the 60 days over. I am watching my bill very closely next month. I suugest you do the same. Hope this helps.

lacroixn
08-03-2008, 04:12 PM
"A judge in California has ruled that Sprint Nextel's early termination fees are illegal and said the wireless operator should pay back $18.2 million in collected fees to consumers, a decision that could help sway decisions on similar cases throughout the country."

Just one court, just one state so far. Wait for appeal if upheld then will spread to other states. Dont leave your carrier just yet!

ArgonNJ
08-03-2008, 04:29 PM
At first I could see the logic of ETFs. The carrier subsidized the handset, so they wanted a few years of service out of you for their trouble. Then carriers began making you re-up your contract when you wanted to make a change on your calling plan, even though you may not have gotten a subsidized phone for a year or more ago. So now ETFs are nothing more then money makers for carriers without any real justification for their use. Good riddance.

NickfromIL
08-03-2008, 04:31 PM
At first I could see the logic of ETFs. The carrier subsidized the handset, so they wanted a few years of service out of you for their trouble. Then carriers began making you re-up your contract when you wanted to make a change on your calling plan, even though you may not have gotten a subsidized phone for a year or more ago. So now ETFs are nothing more then money makers for carriers without any real justification for their use. Good riddance.

That is carrier dependent. I can change my plan without contract extensions.

domerdel
08-03-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm in California. I called verizon, they said they would still charge me $145 for an early termination fee. I've been a customer for them for 5 yrs, i got a black berry pearl (plagued with problems) about 6 months ago, so technically i have 18 months left on my 2 yr renewal contract agreement.