PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a Treo Switcher?

genearch
08-25-2005, 09:09 AM
I've pretty much had it with my Treo 650. I am really tired of the constant reboots. I am on my second unit, they sent me a brand new one last week. I really love the feature set, but am tired of the instability. I setup a completely different e-mail client last night in hopes that it solves the problem, unfortunately the unit just rebooted when I started the new client this am. (was using Chatttermail, now trying SnapperMail)

So.. with all of that said, one, just ONE more reboot today and it's out of here. I'll call Verizon and get a 7250. I've asked around in a few Treo forums and other forums where they are discussing the Treo and apparently I'm the only one having this problem :shock: (yeah right) I've even gone so far as to remove ALL apps except the 3rd party mail clients and it still happens.

The major downside of the switch is that I have a new BMW on order and the Treo seems to work with it reasonably well. From what I gather the BB will be able to make calls, but will not send any phonebook info. (can I manually add a handful of phone #'s to the BMW manually and have it dial thought the BB handsfree?)

Here's what I'm using on my Treo, maybe you can point me in the direction of Blackberry "versions" of the same?

SplashID (Wallet with desktop client)
SplashShopper (Shopping list with desktop client)
Causerie (Y! IM Client)
2Day (daily agenda view)

I just want it to "work" I don't want to fuss with a device like I am with the Treo.

Thanks folks!

fuzzynumpkin
08-26-2005, 06:39 PM
Im sort of a noobie but I had a treo before this as well, and I will tell you you have switched from a kia spectra with heated seats and navigation to a baseline H1 Hummer. The BB will not fail you in the heat of battle. To answer your question , the only app. I know of that is close to the treo's 2day is the task list(default) and the default calender. as far as the bimmer you probably should contact the tech dept of who supplied the radio in the bmw.(Its definitly some 3rd party company) Welcome and good luck!!!

huckster
08-27-2005, 11:24 AM
I went through 3 treo 600s and 2 650s before finally complaining so much to Verizon they sent me a 7250 this past week. I am completely amazed that the 7250 works and does not reboot( treos rebooted every hour on the hour w/ no loaded apps on it) that I would never go back to Palm. The 7250 is the real deal. It does not have all the extra apps but I can talk on it and I can check email better than snappermail, versamail, etc....

ajg
08-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Well, I'm fairly new to Blackberry as well, but I pick this stuff up really quickly. Anyway, as a former Palm OS user, I can say that there aren't as many bells and whistle on the BB but it is SO much better. Stable, powerful, multitasking. But to answer your questions:

SplashID (Wallet with desktop client) = Mobile Checkbook 3.0
SplashShopper (Shopping list with desktop client) = ShopMagic
Causerie (Y! IM Client) = VeriChat (I think it does Yahoo but I would double check)
2Day (daily agenda view) = BBToday (free!)

I have yet to try out Mobile Checkbook, but it has Quicken support and for me that's important. All this software can be found at Handango.com . As for the chat software, there is a lot of it out there. A lot of people seem to really like VeriChat. Anyway, hope this helps... from bewbie to newbie. I've only have my BB for about two weeks, but I can tell you I understand why people love them. You just don't know until you own one. 8-)

weath
08-28-2005, 10:34 PM
Hi, my name is Steve, and I am a former treo user. Sounds like AA :-)

SplashID is not the same as Mobile Checkbook 3. A similar program on BB that I use is MiniSafe. It also comes with a desktop client (Windows only) and an Intellisync plug-in to allow for full syncs (think Palm conduit). It allows you to import from SplashID csv exported files, but it will require you to go thru and make some minor adjustments in the desktop version to ensure all your data is in the right slot. Sure beats re-typing though.

An alternative is CryptMagic.

Mobile Checkbook and WiseSpent are similar to Pocket Quicken. WiseSpent is working on a new updated version to be released soon.

JDBorges187
09-11-2005, 01:42 PM
hey what company is ur treo?