PDA

View Full Version : Cingular Plan 4 meg plan or unlimited?

schlepers
08-25-2005, 11:39 AM
How many megs do most people use? Cingular has the 4meg plan and the unlimited. Do most of you go over 4megs?

jeff--

CodyMac
08-25-2005, 05:37 PM
To be able to get Internet, 3rd party IM clients, and email to work, you have to get Cingular's BB unlimited plan.

penguin3107
08-25-2005, 08:20 PM
To be able to get Internet, 3rd party IM clients, and email to work, you have to get Cingular's BB unlimited plan.

Not true at all. You just need Blackberry Data plan... not necessarily the unlimited plan. A 4MB Blackberry Data Plan, which Cingular does offer, will work just fine.

With that said... go with the unlimited plan anyway, since the difference in price is not that much, and you'll not have to worry about how much web browsing you do or how much e-mail you transfer.

dulcamara
08-25-2005, 08:22 PM
You can eat 4MB in a few hours. Unlimited will save you money.

I have the Cingular unlimited international plan ($65/mo) and I'm saving $100's / year.

Talldog
08-26-2005, 05:47 AM
No question, if you get a lot of email, it will eat up 4Mb in no time. Last year, one of the bean counters at my company thought we could save money by doing that. The overage charges for one month were enough to pay for unlimited for all of our users for the whole year. We learned that lesson pretty fast, and now the unlimited plan is required.

jasonb
08-26-2005, 09:03 AM
I would definately plan on the unlimited if you are planning on a lot of email and if you are planning on downloading and ringtones or sounds. You will eat up that 4mb pretty quickly.. Just my opinion....

Texas_Traveler
08-26-2005, 10:09 AM
I would definately plan on the unlimited if you are planning on a lot of email and if you are planning on downloading and ringtones or sounds. You will eat up that 4mb pretty quickly.. Just my opinion....

I've got the 4MB BlackBerry plan with Cingular. I get what I think is an average volume of emails and I've had plenty of KB left at the end of the each month so far. I only download attachments when necessary.

I use the browser some, but mainly WAP sites anyways. And I've turned images off (that makes it faster also).

The only downside for me is that I have to watch it by checking the data users on the Cingular website periodically.

Blackberry1.8T
08-29-2005, 12:04 AM
I originally started out with the 4mb plan as well and I send/receive about 10-15 e-mails a day and hardly any internet access and I ended up with more than 10$ worthe of overages.

The amount of MEG's all depends solely on the user. If you're not like me and must have e-mail access all the time and spend 80% of my days out of the office then you don't need the unlimited package. How if you're a casual user then you will not need the unlimited data plan.

The average of all the users on this thread is more than 4 or 5mb's. There is a huge difference between unlimited and 4mb's. From experience, 75% of all the users who use a bb does nothing but check e-mails and surf online. Since there is such a big difference, I would recommend you start with the unlimited and go from there. It's better to pay a higher monthly fee and have no overages than have a lower monthly fee and get charged out the wazoo.

Why do you think CW only offeres one or the other? They want inexperienced users to start with a 4mb plan and go over so they can be charge for the overage. BB's are known for the immediate delivery of e-mails to your handheld. Even when you're not on the web or writing e-mails, your phone still check for e-mails every 10secs and that will use MB's even though you're not initiating something or sending/receiving e-mails.

In closing, everyone uses their device differently, so only you would know which one you need. But for $10 more to get the unlimited I would go for that.

penguin3107
08-29-2005, 06:31 AM
Even when you're not on the web or writing e-mails, your phone still check for e-mails every 10secs and that will use MB's even though you're not initiating something or sending/receiving e-mails.

No... this is not true. The Blackberry does not check for e-mail every 10 seconds. The Blackberry NEVER checks for email... this is the essence of PUSH technology. The server... whether it is BWC/BIS or BES, pushes e-mail to the handheld whenever there is something to push.