PDA

View Full Version : How to reject a call without voice mail?

hyedipin
08-04-2008, 03:50 PM
How can I just reject a call without it from going to VoiceMail.
Do I have to turn off the forwarding everytime I want to use that function.
Do you remember there were phones before, I think Ericsson, they allowed you to respond with Busy Signal, Answer or Voice Mail when the phone was ringing.

Sometimes I don't even want to hear any voice message from someone.. Like those damn telemarketers (how they hell did they get my cell no.) so I want to just respond with BUSY instead..

RIM should have thought of this..

CO_BBTechie
08-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Try youmail.com. It's free. You can set up different greetings for different callers, and opt to disallow a particular caller or group of callers from leaving a message if you wish.

Natively, I don't believe what you want to do is possible with the BB.

barbwyr
08-04-2008, 06:34 PM
I would personally just hit answer then end the call. Yeah it cost's you a minute but it may cost 2 or 3 to get the voicemail so...

hyedipin
08-04-2008, 08:54 PM
BBtechie, thanks for the suggestion. How does that service work? By forwarding calls? I cannot get info on their website, it seems to be down or just my browser doesnt want to connect.

barbwyr, If I hit answer than end the call, the other end might realize I simply hung up on them. I really wish there was a way to just end the incoming call without forwarding it anywhere else.

NickfromIL
08-04-2008, 09:00 PM
I think I heard that there is a new version of Blacklist/Whitelist that will allow you to simply disconnect someone, rather than sending them no VM.

hyedipin
08-04-2008, 09:17 PM
You mean v. 4.6 ?

coldconfession13
08-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Wirelessly posted

Well you can sign your cell up on the do not call list now

CO_BBTechie
08-05-2008, 11:39 AM
BBtechie, thanks for the suggestion. How does that service work? By forwarding calls? I cannot get info on their website, it seems to be down or just my browser doesnt want to connect.

barbwyr, If I hit answer than end the call, the other end might realize I simply hung up on them. I really wish there was a way to just end the incoming call without forwarding it anywhere else.

As part of the enrollment process, you change the voice mail number in your device. This sends callers to youmail instead of your own carrier's voice mail. It appears to be working well now anyway (the web site.)

hyedipin
08-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Techie, Maybe I can try that, that's interesting.
coldconfession13 , yeah but sometimes there are people I just don't want to hear from.. :)

CO_BBTechie
08-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Yeah youmail is pretty cool. It lets you establish default messages for incoming callers that are unknown, blocked, or private. I have mine set to hang up on blocked numbers after playing a wisenheimer greeting about not accepting blocked calls.

squeff
08-05-2008, 02:14 PM
In general, it's not possible for you on a call-by-call basis to decide if you want to give a busy signal or not. Think about it: when someone calls, they'll get a ringing signal until you make a decision whether to answer (or send to v-mail) or give the busy signal. What would someone think if they got ring... ring... busy?

It is theoretically possible to predefine numbers that would always get a busy signal (or to give a busy signal to everyone not on a pre-approved list). If this was implemented only on the phone, it's actually possible for someone (who's supposed to get a busy signal) to get a ring or two or end up in voicemail due the way that cell phone work. The only way to guarantee an immediate busy signal is to have the phone company/carrier provide this service on their end. While the chances are lowered, even an "always forward" runs the risk of the caller getting a ring.

I use the "answer" and then immediately hang up option. This lets the person (telemarketer) know that you don't want to talk.

Or, you can simply make a voicemail message that says that you do not accept telemarketing calls and that they are, under circumstance, to leave you any messages.

Or, you can make your outgoing v-mail message sound like a busy signal. Tell your friends to just wait 30 seconds to see if it's a real busy signal or not. Even better, use the phone company's "this line has been disconnected" because some telemarketers computers will remove you from their lists if they think you have a disconnected phone. Doesn't always work, but...

The idea is to let them people know to buzz off, right? So, whatever you can do to let them know that you're not talking to them is the way to go.

UncleMike
08-05-2008, 05:41 PM
With Call Waiting being a standard feature on most (if not all) plans, it's virtually unheard of to get a busy signal when calling a cell phone. So getting a busy signal on a phone number that's known to be a cell phone would be rather suspicious.

Verizon offers somthing called Ringback Tones (music that the caller hears, instead of the ringing sound). Other carriers offer a similar feature under other names. Perhaps this can be of some use here?

tpoon
08-05-2008, 07:13 PM
I've heard of v4.6 being able to do this, but I thought it was not available for the curve?

takeshi
08-06-2008, 10:05 AM
I'd also recommend checking out Youmail for this.

hyedipin
08-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Squeff, good info.
Sometimes it is just much better to have busy tone, when someone calls you from their cellphone like unwanted person, you dont even want to hear from.. if you answer and hang up immediately they will see that it is connected then disconnected on their cellphone.

UncleMike, T-Mo has this feature as well, and I think AT&T might as well. Instead of regular ringing tone, callers hear weird music, effects, etc. One very cool one would be to have busy tone as ringing tone. :)

Regaring telemarketers, most of them don't even listen to messages or check, they are automated, as soon as you pick up the phone, they will have some kind of light or message on their machine, stating the other end picked up, otherwise they dont even listen to the phone ringing, and rest of the time is automated message..

CO_BBTechie
08-06-2008, 10:58 AM
FYI - Youmail also has those "special messages" that contain tones and "message ID's." This will often cause automated systems to disconnect. You can also play a "busy tone" greeting and disallow then from leaving a message. It's very versatile and probably perfect for what you want to do.

With all the variables, the BlackBerry simply cannot do what you'd like it to do by itself.... yet anyway.

avelasqu
08-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Try youmail.com. It's free. You can set up different greetings for different callers, and opt to disallow a particular caller or group of callers from leaving a message if you wish.

Do you know if youmail.com will let you direct "Unknown Numbers" either directly to Voicemail or to a busy tone?

CO_BBTechie
08-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Do you know if youmail.com will let you direct "Unknown Numbers" either directly to Voicemail or to a busy tone?

You can setup defaults for blocked, private and unknown callers.

You can have as many "groups" of callers you want and assign each group its own greeting (how dare you, busy signal, out of service... whatever you want.) You can also selectively allow (within each group) whether or not you want that particular caller or group of callers to be able to leave a message.

avelasqu
08-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Nice.

Wow, this program is cooler than I thought.

danedel
08-06-2008, 06:09 PM

whoo this is sweet! and its free!

squeff
08-06-2008, 07:47 PM
whoo this is sweet! and its free!

Always makes me wonder... if it's free, where do they get the funding? I read their terms and it seems like they'll offer premium services, but if that's all, I can't see them being around in a year unless they start adding ads or something to raise money.

Of course, I'm on Sprint, which charges 20 cents per minute for call forward, since this means that every time I miss a call, I'm paying 20 cents to get it sent to YouMail. No thanks. If you're on a carrier that doesn't charge for forward-on-no-answer, this does look nice.

jwh463
08-06-2008, 08:17 PM
YOUMAIL is great, Black & White List is also

Cammer
08-06-2008, 08:55 PM
With Call Waiting being a standard feature on most (if not all) plans, it's virtually unheard of to get a busy signal when calling a cell phone. So getting a busy signal on a phone number that's known to be a cell phone would be rather suspicious.

Verizon offers somthing called Ringback Tones (music that the caller hears, instead of the ringing sound). Other carriers offer a similar feature under other names. Perhaps this can be of some use here?

Maybe they offer a ringback tone that sounds like a busy signal? 8-)

danedel
08-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Twenty cents a VM, that will teach you to answer your phone!

O'dell
08-07-2008, 11:02 AM
If only the carriers would release all the same features that GrandCentral lets you have. I love GrandCentral, but I do hate having to give a different number to people who I text with.

Klotar
08-07-2008, 12:03 PM
I am happy with i,Call Manager Light (nee Black & Whitelist).