PDA

View Full Version : How long will battery last with phone OFF?

FF2
08-06-2008, 10:15 AM
8830 BB from Verizon

Will a fully charged battery last a week or two or three if NOT USED AT ALL?

If I fully charge a battery and remove it from the phone, does anyone know how long the battery will retain enough power to make a call?

Does this change if the the battery is left in the phone but the phone is powered off?

Thanks in advance

sloopercat
08-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Good question, I came across an extra 8830 from an employee who left. Was going to post the same question. Battery charged now, I guess I can run the experiment.

NickfromIL
08-06-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm sure it is far longer if actually removed from the device, as when you "power off" the blackberry, it is really just kind of in a sleep mode. Notice how quickly it turns back on from "off" vs from battery removed.

O'dell
08-06-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm sure it is far longer if actually removed from the device, as when you "power off" the blackberry, it is really just kind of in a sleep mode. Notice how quickly it turns back on from "off" vs from battery removed.

He's right. I've seen Blackberry's turned off but go dead in a matter of a few days with the battery still in. If you actually remove the battery, it will last much longer (as in weeks).

Sith_Apprentice
08-06-2008, 11:50 AM
8830s can last up to 2 weeks with a charge with the battery in, and MONTHS with the battery not connected.

FF2
08-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks. I figured the battery out was a better option. Two separate ziplocks will be used on a longer hiking trip. BB along only for emergency and because I would not want to leave it in the unattended vehicle.

dtdt
08-06-2008, 06:06 PM
I just took mine camping at a Lake, and the only cell signal to be found was at the main entrance to the park....so every other day I would venture to the gate for about 5 minutes to get my messages.

FF2
08-07-2008, 12:00 AM
I just took mine camping at a Lake, and the only cell signal to be found was at the main entrance to the park....so every other day I would venture to the gate for about 5 minutes to get my messages.

I know that if I wander out of range, that searching for a signal will use up lots of power which is why I will turn it off or remove the battery to preserve the charge while remote.