PDA

View Full Version : Tethering "kills" the BB

Hyperspectralman
08-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Hi,
I try to tether my Curve 8310 (ATT service) using my Windows XP Pro laptop. The have the latest ATT Communication Manager. When I connect the BB, and hit "Connect" button, after searching/authentications, etc., it says Connected. The BB itself shows EDGE connection, but I'm really not able to connect to the Internet.

Ipconfig /all from the command prompt shows the correct IP address and nfo, but if I try to "ping" any site, I get no response (not a time out but literally no response). The browser also isn't able to connect to anything.

Next, I disconnect the BB from the laptop and it can not send or receive e-mails (the phone still works). In the "Manage Connection" the ATT Mobile Network is still on.

The only way I can get the BB back to normal is by a "hard reset (removing the battery).

Any ideas?:cry:

NickfromIL
08-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Not sure about the first part, but when I tether on Verizon I have to either:
A. Wait a good 15-20 mins after tethering to regain data services (even though it says 1XEV)
B. Resend service books (from something other than the BB, ie. send them from BIS site just before disconnecting)
C. Hard reset.

Mark Rejhon
08-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Try an OS upgrade.

Earlier 8310 operating systems were somewhat unstable, there was a bug in its tethering whereupon when I tried to use software on the BlackBerry at the same time as I was using the laptop, sometimes the BlackBerry would go into a state where it didn't connect anymore, and needed a hard reset. I don't get those problems anymore with the current 4.2 OS.