PDA

View Full Version : device manager is totally screwed up

guttertrash
08-09-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm trying to update my theme on my BB and out of the blue device manager has decided to start acting all wiggy.

when i first connect to the usb cable and open Device Manager, it runs through the sync process, gets to where it wants to upgrade the theme adn does one of 2 things:

1. disconnects, and unless i restart the pc wont ever reconnect.
or
2. get's to the point where it says 'this is what's going to happen - theme will be upgraded and whole bunch of unrecognised stuff will be removed. including a bunch of docs2to elements, weathereye, and precision theme.'

i tried a reinstall of device manager, nothing changed, so i figured i'll let it uninstall stuff and see what happens.

now, i reinstalled weathereye. moved an old documentstogo.alx from a backup i made into the apploader folder, and reconnected to see what happens...

now it wants to upgrade my theme again, despite no changes being made. it gives me the option to install docs2go. and when i click next it says "A fatal error has occured while updating your device's software. Please try again"

now i don't know how to get docs to go back on, and it seems like device manager is totally screwed up, i'm freaking out and i want to smash things.

any ideas? i'm thinking drastic measures like uninstalling ALL blackberry stuff from my pc, wiping the registry, wiping my phone and reinstalling the OS and all my apps. but i REALLY don't want to spend the rest of my weekend doing all that. do i have a choice?

edit: boy am i dramatic today! at least the phone still works, mostly. i'm going to step away, take a breather and deal with this later

Ricky-Ray
08-09-2008, 12:33 PM
I would start by uninstalling the desktop manager and remove the registry keys too and the install the latest version of the desktop manager.

guttertrash
08-10-2008, 09:35 AM
i think that's got it, wiping the registry and reinstalling. so far no errors