PDA

View Full Version : New to BB need some help

bg1260
08-10-2008, 11:38 PM
I have been a loyal Treo user for years. I am fairly dissatisfied with my 750 and WM 6. With many new phones out now and my contract being up I am looking for alternatives. I have been given a BB 8310 curve. It is an AT&T GSM so I can easily swap in my sim card. I have an unlimited data plan on my account.
I would like to try the BB out for a couple of weeks.
Can anyone tell me how to set up POP 3 email clients on this?
Will I need to pay more just to activate this on the BB to try it out?
What about browsers?
I can't seem to set up emails without a BB account.

NickfromIL
08-10-2008, 11:42 PM
You need to have a BlackBerry data plan to use the native email client or browser.

WFLDEng611
08-10-2008, 11:45 PM
If you have data on your BB you need to activate your BB to the network. Once that is done then you need to log onto AT&T's BIS site to add your email accounts. Setting up email acounts, either POP or IMAP is very simple. Because you have data on your account it will not cost extra to try it out. Once the BB is activated on the network your browser icon will show up along with your AT&T BB email address.

Ricky-Ray
08-11-2008, 12:08 AM
Contact AT&T and switch your data service from it's regular data service to the Blackberry data service. If you want to get your work email on there and your work is running a Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) then you would want the Blackberry data plan with BES service. Once that's done there's usually an icon on the blackberry that say's Setup Internet E-Mail. Click on that icon and then it will ask you for your email address and password and that should be it. If you don't see the icon then you can click on the browser and there should be a bookmark that say's setup internet e-email or something like that. Clicking on that link is the same as clicking on the icon.

If you want to activate your work emails on there you would have to contact your IT department and have them generate an activation password for you.

Dubdub
08-11-2008, 07:19 AM
Make sure the person who gave you the BB has canceled their BIS account. If not, then he/she needs to call their carrier and do that so you can set up email.

Download Desktop Manager from the RIM web site so you can sync contacts and calendar with Outlook.

Also read the FAQ article Buying a used BB on eBay. Even though you didn't get it there, the info still applies.