PDA

View Full Version : Bad Boy if I add personal BB to work BES with no Enterprise plan????

halhouser1
08-11-2008, 12:19 AM
:idea: I am ready to get my wife a BB, I think a curve, but have a dilemma. Her BES adin will add her to the BES no problem, but AT&T wants $ 45 for the enterprise plan. Can't I just get her the unlimited data plan for $30 a month to get this to work? Data is just data right (of course the store sales monkeys have no clue).

NickfromIL
08-11-2008, 12:24 AM
No, it will not work. You must have the BES plan for enterprise activation.

ezrunner
08-11-2008, 05:54 AM
Wirelessly posted (off to see the wizard)

Negative

No enterprise plan. No BES worky

NinjaRAT
08-11-2008, 07:08 AM
Yup, unfortunately the BES plan is needed like the ones above stated. I was curious, so I took my SIM from my Tilt and placed it in a loaner 8700 I had, and could not get the thing to activate.

Bummer.

Dubdub
08-11-2008, 07:13 AM
I never recommend putting a personal BB on a company BES. First, they will most likely lock it down and limit what she can do on the BB with their IT Policy, such as add applications, personal email accounts in BIS, etc. And second, any private info on the BB is no longer private.

rambo47
08-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Data is not just data on a Blackberry. Only a bona-fide Blackberry Data Plan will get your email or web browsing on the built-in browser. You only need BES or BIS, but not both. If her company will add her to the corporate BES then she's golden. As long as her company doesn't prohibit it, she can add personal email accounts and get all her mail in one place. The BES data plan from work will cover everything. Unfortunately, nowadays most companies prohibit you from putting personal email on a device that's on the corporate BES system. So do have her check with her corporate IT crew.

heffman
08-11-2008, 09:22 AM
...also, i believe you need to have the BES in order for her BB to access RIMs BES service. regular data plans are not configured to pass beyond to the inner circle that is RIMs network.

JacobWM
08-11-2008, 10:26 AM
I never recommend putting a personal BB on a company BES. First, they will most likely lock it down and limit what she can do on the BB with their IT Policy, such as add applications, personal email accounts in BIS, etc. And second, any private info on the BB is no longer private.

Also please make sure you have all of this straightened out before asking to do this. I won't allow users to add a bberry to our BES server - only to forward mail as a mail contact and even that causes problems.

Overall, personal tech equipment and work don't mix well at all.