PDA

View Full Version : Help: Blackberry 8320 Keypad Non-Responsive

sachinblackberry26
08-11-2008, 01:53 PM
The keypad in my Blackberry 8320 stopped working. The buttons don't work, even when pushed hard. The only thing that does work is the scroll ball, but when I push down on it to click it doesn't respond. Also, I can turn it on, but after that when it goes to sleep the only way I can get the screen to come back is by plugging in my charger.

I had the phone for about a month(used). I probably dropped it about twice, though none of them were big drops. No water damage. The phone was working great, then one day it just stopped just like that.

Any suggestions for how I can fix this?

Thanks.

heffman
08-11-2008, 01:58 PM
...sounds like you bricked it.

even small drops can damage a device. have you tried doing a hard-reset?

JSanders
08-11-2008, 02:06 PM
With the device powered on, remove the battery and hold a minute, replace and reboot.

Do you get any different reaction?

I don't know for sure that it is bricked, but the key issue is symptomatic of water damage.

sachinblackberry26
08-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the quick replies.

I'm not exactly sure what a hard reset is. This may be a silly question, how can I reset the phone if I can't control the keypad?

JSanders--I tried that and nothing has changed.

JSanders
08-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Hard reset IS a battery pull.
How do I reset my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_reset_my_BlackBerry%3F)

So, look at your moisture sticker inside the battery compartment... the small white sticker up near the SIM card on the housing... What color is it?

sachinblackberry26
08-11-2008, 02:28 PM
It's white.

heffman
08-11-2008, 02:36 PM
...no red line going through it?

JSanders
08-11-2008, 02:38 PM
If you bought it used, you may be screwed, then.