PDA

View Full Version : A Few Quick Questions

whitedragon551
08-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Ok Im getting a BB Curve 8310 in Titanium color in the next week or so. I have to cancel my contract with Verizon.

First can I use the GPS function without paying for Telenav? If so whats the best alternative to Telenav?

Second can I edit the internet configuration to get free internet, texts, IM, etc?

Third how reliable are the BB Curves compared to the Palm Centro, Palm Treo 800, Blackjack 2, and Moto Qs?

Fourth will I be able to upload my own games without paying for them? If so what format do they need to be in?

Moonshadow
08-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (8100 Pearl)

First

There are all kinds of alternatives to telenav. Garmin comes to mind. Manyb advantages. For example it works outside of cell coverage areas!!

Try google or BB maps. Its not audio turn by turn but they are free and they are accurate.

If in the US, MS mobile maps seems to be a favourite.

whitedragon551
08-11-2008, 08:55 PM
I am in the US, Michigan specifically. Ok so I can get free GPS. What about the other stuff?

Dubdub
08-11-2008, 09:10 PM
1. Check out the GPS section. Only telenav gives you turn by turn voice commands and auto reroute. All apps that I know of requires a BB data plan.

2. I just love people who try to cheat the system and get something for nothing. Short answer is no and I doubt that you will get much more than that from the people on here.

3. Very reliable and stable. Much more so than a Palm or WM device. I came from the Palm 600/650 and never regretted the switch.

4. Any apps, games, etc. must be for the BB OS.

barbwyr
08-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Don't waste your money on the AT&T Navigator (TelNav) junk. Google Maps is great and the only cost is the cost of the data used to download maps. Which AT&T is poor in pointing out when you get it from them. They just assume you have a data plan.

Johnny909
08-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Welcome to BB Forums. I got my ATT Curve about 2 months ago, or so and like it a whole lot.

whitedragon551
08-11-2008, 11:12 PM
I will get free texts. Im just wondering specifically about web browsing. I got free WAP on my RAZR V3M. Does a BB use the same thing or is a different type of connection?

What file type of games does BB use? Java, BREW, etc?

djm2
08-12-2008, 05:19 AM
Without a legitimate BB data plan you may be able to scam some freebies, but you will have to do enough work to get it that you could get a job as a short order cook and pay for it faster than scamming it. Unless you only want the device as a phone and text machine with backup PIM functions, don't bother going this route.

Software forum here will give you nice recommendations for all sorts of software, much of which will require a data plan.

Games -- don't know much about them except that they must be specific for the BB.

whitedragon551
08-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Scamming freebies is not a problem. My RAZR is the most hacked phone Ive ever seen. I get free texts, internet, IM, games, and wallpapers and ring tones for $30 a month.

NJBlackBerry
08-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Without a BlackBerry Data Plan your BB will be extremely limited - and not hackable.

Good luck.

takeshi
08-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Without a BlackBerry Data Plan your BB will be extremely limited - and not hackable.

Just to clarify -- the data plan does not increase hackability. ;-)

Second can I edit the internet configuration to get free internet, texts, IM, etc?

Regarding text messages -- SMS isn't data. Adjusting your internet settings won't get you free SMS/MMS no matter what you do.

Third how reliable are the BB Curves compared to the Palm Centro, Palm Treo 800, Blackjack 2, and Moto Qs?

IMO and experiences significantly more so. I consider reliability to be the most important factor to consider and it's the main reason I'm currently on a BB (and have gone through 6 different models over the years).

whitedragon551
08-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Ok. I was just doing some research. It appears that most of the GPS programs for the BB are off-board which means they use a data plan to retrieve the info in real time. Do they have an on-board GPS system that I can install onto my Micro SD card that will enable me to use the GPS without the data plan as everything will be stored on another memory device?

Dubdub
08-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Ok. I was just doing some research. It appears that most of the GPS programs for the BB are off-board which means they use a data plan to retrieve the info in real time. Do they have an on-board GPS system that I can install onto my Micro SD card that will enable me to use the GPS without the data plan as everything will be stored on another memory device?

Check out the GPS section for such information