PDA

View Full Version : I'm on BIS, Work is on BES - can I use Re-Director without hassle?

noelstrom
08-12-2008, 02:35 PM
I’m on BIS with my personal BlackBerry. I would like to use BB Re-Director to redirect my work email to my Pearl. My employer uses a BES solution. If I were to install the Desktop Manager, and use re-director, will that 1) Put any of my company’s IT policies on my personal BlackBerry, and 2) Allow me to send and receive my work email from my personal device? If it’s going to place any IT policies on my personal device, as much as I want to stay in the loop with work, I don’t want to do it at the expense of artificially restricting my own device.

rambo47
08-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Redirector sucks. It's an awful program that will give you nothing but headaches. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The best advice anyone can give you is to avoid it and find another solution. ANY other solution. It will not put an IT Policy on your Blackberry though. I don't know for sure about being able to send mail from your work address but my gut feeling tells me no, redirector will simply deliver the email to your device. It's not a 2-way conduit, just a delivery mechanism. It also may well be against company policy to allow redirector.

The best possible solution would be for your company to allow you to set up your work email through BIS. Almost no companies do this however. In these security-conscious times Blackberry is one of the best, if not THE best, at maintaining this security. It's one of the BB's best selling points. Allowing you to circumvent the control they have with BES would be a rare thing.

Another solution, although maybe against company rules, is to set up a rule in Outlook to forward all incoming mail to your Blackberry email address. You won't be able to reply from your work email address with this solution.

cctraderx
08-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Good Luck - some companies will have policies against mass forwarding automatically to another source.

NJBlackBerry
08-12-2008, 06:37 PM
If your company is using a Microsoft Exchange system, then redirector should work. It will send e-mail out with your work e-mail address.

Redirector is very old technology, and I would double check with your IT department before using it.

Dubdub
08-13-2008, 06:50 AM
Another solution, although maybe against company rules, is to set up a rule in Outlook to forward all incoming mail to your Blackberry email address. You won't be able to reply from your work email address with this solution.

I agree that Redirector is the absolute last option you shoudl try, but if it is the only option, then you have to go with it.

I never recommend forwarding email to the carrier address however. The only way to read that email is on the BB so when there is an outage you are out of luck. Also you are opening yourself up to receiving more SPAM than you want as it is a totally unfiltered address. And finally, you cannot take that address with you if and when you change carriers.

It is never a good idea to use a personal device on your employers BES. You hit on the IT Policy issue, but all things personal are no longer personal on BES.

Just my 2 cents worth.

NJBlackBerry
08-13-2008, 07:29 AM
My apologies - I missed the opening line about "personal BlackBerry".

Strictly forbidden at some companies. Like the one I work for.

rambo47
08-13-2008, 11:39 AM
I can't imagine a company that goes to the trouble to create and implement an IT policy for security simply allowing users to circumvent that policy. If they won't allow BIS access to your corporate email then they won't allow redirector either.

siliconvalley785
08-13-2008, 01:02 PM
I've been able to use it for several weeks without a problem actually.

Pritesh

takeshi
08-13-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm on BIS, Work is on BES - can I use Re-Director without hassle?
Based on my experiences "Redirector" and "without hassle" don't belong in the same sentence... ;-)