PDA

View Full Version : trackball wont roll in one direction

johnnyomega
08-12-2008, 10:45 PM
have any of you experienced this? mine wont roll down but im sure it can happen in any direction, any tips on solving this problem?

JSanders
08-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Welcome to the BBForums.

Yes, we have. While pressing firmly, roll firmly in the direction the ball does not wish to roll.

skllndy365
08-12-2008, 11:01 PM
or just adjust the sensitivity of that direction (horizontal or vertical)

JSanders
08-12-2008, 11:07 PM
or just adjust the sensitivity of that direction (horizontal or vertical)

Adjusting the sensitivity only helps IF it will roll. This user's trackball won't roll. At all.

Normally this is caused by carrying the BB in a pocket or purse where it is more susceptible to lint and dust in the trackball well.

aznHypnotix
08-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Do a soft reset which is to pull the battery out for 30 secs then try again. If problem persist replace the device. It could be worn out by aggressive use if not then it is a hardware problem. DOA - defective on arrival. Get the phone replaced.

barbwyr
08-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Do a soft reset which is to pull the battery out for 30 secs then try again. If problem persist replace the device. It could be worn out by aggressive use if not then it is a hardware problem. DOA - defective on arrival. Get the phone replaced.

A battery pull reset (Hard Reset) won't help a bunged up trackball. It has lint or dust or gunk on it. Use JS's recommendation and if it doesn't work do a search of cleaning trackball for a tutorial on cleaning it more intensly. If you are not up to the task of disassembly for cleaning and you are within the first year, get a warranty exchange. If you are outside your warranty, you're likely close to reuping your contract for a new BB so give the disassembly a try anyway...lol.

JSanders
08-14-2008, 11:01 PM
If the OP ever shows back up, the RIM recommended method to deal with issue is to press firmly on the trackball and roll it in the direction it doesn't want to move.

All the other suggestions are workable, as well. This one will get you going immediately so you can consider the others. :)

mrsmacgyver
08-15-2008, 03:38 AM
I think we may need some clarification as to whether the problem is that the ball won't physically roll, or if it will roll and just not respond. If it rolls but doesn't respond, I normally do go ahead with pulling the battery and then go to a software upgrade to see if it's a software related problem. Even if you already have the latest version of the software, reinstalling it would get rid of any glitches. Just make sure you back up all of your information first. Of course if it physically won't roll, JSanders' solution is really the only logical one.

JSanders
08-15-2008, 06:26 AM
Actually it has worked for either issue for me.

knoxpd
08-15-2008, 09:07 AM
some other advise is to get a can of compressed air and spray it into the trackball area, dirt, dust, oils from your finger can build up on and in the trackball area and prevent it from working. thats what happen to me but i wasn't able to move right and Radio Shack sprayed compressed air in it and it works fine now.

sid_kid
08-15-2008, 10:42 AM
here is another tip from back in the day when mice used to have giant trackballs in the bottom...and some still do apparently...lol

get a clean sheet of white printer paper and roll the mouse over it in a circular pattern to help loosen up any debris that may be inside...a side to side or back and forth motion in combination with the circular pattern may help as well. just make sure you don't run it too hard, however, i have had success in unsticking my bb trackball by using this method.