PDA

View Full Version : POP3 / IMAP personal email on BB

08-15-2008, 04:53 AM
Hi,

I still haven't quite made my mind up regarding switching to a Blackberry, and I am after some clarification that the device and service will provide what I want before committing.

i have been looking at the BB on o2 in the UK, which would use the B.I.S, or so I believe.

I can add a personal email address to this, be it POP3 or IMAP but I want to know how often email from my personal POP3/IMAP would be forwarded to my device? Would it be once a minute? once every 10 minutes?

I ask, becuase I did have a service (seven.com) with my current phone provider, and that pinged my POP3 mainbox every 50mS, yes, 20 times a second for new mail. My host was not best pleased with this as you can imagine! there is never need for an email server to be pinged so frequently!

Any info on the above would be most welcome,

regards

08-15-2008, 05:06 AM
I have just found some useful information at

airtimemanager.co.uk/BlackBerry%5CSupport/BlackBerry_Internet_Mail.aspx

can anyone confrim:

Q. What is the frequency of email messages sent to the BlackBerry?

A. The polling interval for Yahoo!, Gmail, and Microsoft Mail Connector is one to two minutes. For standard OWA, IMAP, or POP3, the polling interval is 15 minutes. If polling reveals new mail, the following polling interval is 3 minutes.

regards

whsbuss
08-15-2008, 05:51 AM
Yep. That's how BIS works.

JerryD
08-15-2008, 07:07 AM
OK, here's what I just found the other day for my setup.

AT&T is my Carrier (in the US), and I'm on a Company BES.

I have one Yahoo! Mail Plus account set up. I get this email instantly - just as if it was a BES email account. I believe this is the case for any Yahoo mail account, but not sure. This account is also set up as an SMTP, but Reads are reconciled (but not Unreads).

I also have several Gmail accounts set up. Some - not all - are typically nearly instant delivery when set up as SMTP accounts, but then Reads do not reconcile. Reads ARE Reconciled when set up as an IMAP account, but then delivery is within the (standard) 15 minutes of it hitting the account.

Your mileage may vary...

Dubdub
08-15-2008, 08:30 AM
OK, here's what I just found the other day for my setup.

AT&T is my Carrier (in the US), and I'm on a Company BES.

I have one Yahoo! Mail Plus account set up. I get this email instantly - just as if it was a BES email account. I believe this is the case for any Yahoo mail account, but not sure. This account is also set up as an SMTP, but Reads are reconciled (but not Unreads).

I also have several Gmail accounts set up. Some - not all - are typically nearly instant delivery when set up as SMTP accounts, but then Reads do not reconcile. Reads ARE Reconciled when set up as an IMAP account, but then delivery is within the (standard) 15 minutes of it hitting the account.

Your mileage may vary...

Keep in mind that nothing is personal when your BB is connected via BES. IMHO, it is best to keep all your personal stuff on another device and the company stuff on the company device. Mush cleaner and safer that way.