PDA

View Full Version : need technical security help

blackberryinept
08-15-2008, 03:37 PM
i will just say an unhappy with me, unnamed person has done something to my phone that i need to undo. i've been told that it was an application that has been installed on my phone somehow and i need to get rid of it.

somehow, evertime i contact one phone number through my phone, via call or text, it sends an allert to this unnamed persons phone regarding the contact. i called my service provider and they don't know anything about it. does anyone here know how i can remove this and stop the insanity?

thanks for the help in advance.

penguin3107
08-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Huh?

Dubdub
08-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Never heard of anything like that - especially on a BB. Sounds like someone is pulling your leg. Do you have proof that it actually happens or is it just someone telling you it happens?

You could always do a wipe to get rid of everything.

monkeypaw
08-15-2008, 04:33 PM
You can check what the phone is doing by holding the ALT key and typing the LGLG keys. Maybe post the log after you've tried calling something innocuous and someone can tell you if there's really something extra going on there.

If there is an application that does this, and doesn't show under Options/Advanced Options/Appications, then wipe the device clean of the OS.

Backup the BB, wipe the device using Jl_cmdr, and reinstall the OS. If you're really paranoid, don't reinstall the backup. Sync just your contacts.

djm2
08-15-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm guessing we have a spouse and mistress gig going on here.

juwaack68
08-15-2008, 05:02 PM
i will just say an unhappy with me, unnamed person has done something to my phone that i need to undo. i've been told that it was an application that has been installed on my phone somehow and i need to get rid of it.

somehow, evertime i contact one phone number through my phone, via call or text, it sends an allert to this unnamed persons phone regarding the contact. i called my service provider and they don't know anything about it. does anyone here know how i can remove this and stop the insanity?

thanks for the help in advance.

I've never heard of any application that does this. I think someone is pulling your leg.

Tell the person you followed instructions on this forum to complete wipe the OS using JL_CMDER ( JL commander) and reloaded it. So whatever offensive *thing* they put on it is now gone.

And then set a password on your device so they cannot gain access to it again. And do a backup so if they do try to access and wipe all the data, you can restore it.

Then tell them to go away.

daphne
08-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Actuallly there is an application that does this, or claims to do this.

Spy Phone Location Tracking and Remote Listening Software for Blackberry Mobile Phones - FlexiSPY PRO Blackberry Spyphone (http://www.flexispy.com/spyphone-remote-listening-blackberry.htm)

Someone would have to have access to your phone to install it. It's not cheap, so someone would really want to track you to spend 150 Euro or what ever the dollar equivalent is now.

If someone really did install this and is tracking you, it is very likely a violation of wiretapping laws. Some info about it here:

Wiretapping and Eavesdropping on Telephone Conversations (http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs9-wrtp.htm)

Should you want to file charges against the person who installed it and is tracking you, you would have to have evidence to prove it. I don't know if there are people around who can do forensic analysis of a BlackBerry. If you want the spying application off the device, wiping it as others suggested will do that.

If it's an abuse situation (not saying it is), it should be reported to the police after you can get to a safe place away from the abuser. If its an abuse situation, this information could apply.

Internet and Computer Safety (http://www.nnedv.org/internetsafety.html)

Best wishes.

fonejunkie
08-16-2008, 01:21 AM
[edited: original posting's reference to aluminum foil hat removed]

daphne
08-16-2008, 01:36 AM
fonejunkie, no offense, but sarcasm doesn't help here. It's possible someone is trying to bully the OP -- scare them, and is not really monitoring them, or someone really might be monitoring them. Either way, there is nothing funny about it -- nothing to joke about.

From the link I posted above:
If you think your activities are being monitored, they probably are. Abusive people are often controlling and want to know your every move. You don’t need to be a computer programmer or have special skills to monitor someone’s computer and Internet activities – anyone can do it and there are many ways to monitor with programs like Spyware, keystroke loggers and hacking tools.

This type of electronic surveillance is more common than you would think by abusers -- usually on a PC. Being in the security business, I've heard domestic violence experts speak about this kind of monitoring and I've had people, victims and friends and family of victims ask me for help with removing keyloggers and surveillance apps from their PCs. It's becoming more frequent.

That may not be the case with this OP, but one thing they don't need is anyone's sarcasm, no matter what their situation is.

Iare Tosevite
08-16-2008, 02:14 AM
I wanted to post about sarcasm post, but since that is already done...

Anyway I would recommend in least checking logs if there is unusual stuff like forwards to certain address. Or in least get a blackberry expert to check it out. If you have evidence, do as other people suggest here in respect of stalker/abusers.

If not, I would recommend in least hard wipe-out by jl-cmder as others suggested, and after installation, lock it with a strong password.

I would recommend re-installing blackberry OS on your computer if any OS was already installed, on off chance that it was modified there. I doubt it was, but it won't hurt.

blackberryinept
08-16-2008, 12:26 PM
as it turns out, it sounds like it may not have been something that was done to my phone specifically, but done online. as i'm being told, there is some sort of tracking website or something that has tagged my phone so that whenever my phone contacts a specific number, it is tracked and sends an alert to this other person's phone. i've been doing research on this online and can only find info in regards to the BES, which i'm not on.

has anyone heard of this type of a website? if so, do you know how to undo it? also, if this is true, do you know if the PIN to PIN can be tracked as well? i'm really tired of being spied on and having this person make my life a misserable hell.

thank you for your concerns and advice so far. your help is greatly appreciated.

NJBlackBerry
08-16-2008, 12:44 PM
I've never heard of anything like that.

Simple solution - call you carrier; get a new phone number and new SIM card.

djm2
08-16-2008, 12:45 PM
OK, it sounds like a visit to either an attorney or the police, or both, is probably in order. If they are in fact harassing you, then they have crossed a line. See Daphne's earlier post regarding harrassment and wiretapping.

Also, I hereby retract my comment about the spouse-mistress issue. Even if that is true, harassment is not warranted.

holden
08-16-2008, 12:49 PM
It might also be a good idea to get a new roll of Reynolds Wrap and make yourself a new hat... can't be too careful with thought patterns, brain waves and the like.

Yes, a serious topic but this is funny... (tinfoil - ack!)

fonejunkie
08-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Ok, I also apologize for my comment. I am not the paranoid type, and tend to dismiss most of these thoughts as paranoia... but with other comments, it appears that there may be something about which to be concerned. (I have also edited that out of the earlier post.)

daphne
08-16-2008, 03:13 PM
as it turns out, it sounds like it may not have been something that was done to my phone specifically, but done online. as i'm being told, there is some sort of tracking website or something that has tagged my phone so that whenever my phone contacts a specific number, it is tracked and sends an alert to this other person's phone. i've been doing research on this online and can only find info in regards to the BES, which i'm not on.

has anyone heard of this type of a website? if so, do you know how to undo it? also, if this is true, do you know if the PIN to PIN can be tracked as well? i'm really tired of being spied on and having this person make my life a misserable hell.

thank you for your concerns and advice so far. your help is greatly appreciated.

I have never heard of that kind of website. The only thing I can think of is there are services with websites for tracking gps enabled phones. But what you describe is different from that. I will check and see if I can find any info though.

Did you try checking the logs as some people suggested? If information is being sent from your phone, it should be visible in the logs.

rambo47
08-16-2008, 03:25 PM
It's bull unless there is something planted in your Blackberry's software. There are no "tracking sites" that simply lock onto your number. Unless, of course, this mystery woman works for the NSA and has a desk at the Echelon group.:razz:

NJBlackBerry
08-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Watch the sarcasm. It is apparently offensive to some (not to me, of course).

And, for EVERYONE in the thread, watch out for the Black Helicopters when using your BB.

A device secure enough for the government is not THAT easily tracked, now is it?

daphne
08-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Not exactly what the OP describes, but interesting.

YouTube - Don't Believe Your Cell Phone Can Be Monitored? Guess Again! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW1o3dlFkAw&feature=related)

Some phone spying software here:

Spyphone call Interceptor (http://www.spy-sms.com/id15.html)

NJBlackBerry
08-16-2008, 03:43 PM
OP was told an application has been installed on their phone.
On a BlackBerry. Let's stick to that premise.

No one has ever heard on any such thing.

fonejunkie
08-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Watch the sarcasm. It is apparently offensive to some (not to me, of course).

And, for EVERYONE in the thread, watch out for the Black Helicopters when using your BB.

A device secure enough for the government is not THAT easily tracked, now is it?

... and at the risk of offending some (for the second time), paranoia is a powerful thing. Just because you think the boogey man is hiding behind every door, doesn't make it so. To me, this sounds like someone planted a seed of doubt or suspicion in the mind of someone, and that doubt or suspicion caused him to panic.

I seriously doubt that the OP was affected by something a sinister as some are making it out to be. Just because someone SAYS something is possible, it isn't necessarily so.

daphne
08-16-2008, 03:57 PM
OP was told an application has been installed on their phone.
On a BlackBerry. Let's stick to that premise.

No one has ever heard on any such thing.

Not true. FlexiSpy is real.

It's very possible the OP may being harassed and bullied, not actually tracked. There is technology for tracking phones, including BlackBerrys, even though we may not be familiar with it -- that does not mean it doesn't exist. I can understand skepticism, but that's no reason to make light of the OPs concerns.

NJBlackBerry
08-16-2008, 04:00 PM
I am not making light of their concerns.
This should be taken to the authorities. Even if paranoia is involved.

Have you seen Flexispy in action? Has anyone here?

"FlexiSPY must be consciously installed on the device by a user who has physical possession of that device."

In which case, following the earlier instructions to wipe out the BB and just reload the OS, will remove any threat. Right?

JSanders
08-16-2008, 04:02 PM
It doesn't appear FlexSpy is available for the BlackBerry. ]

While the technology might be available, is it actually available for the BlackBerry?

NJBlackBerry
08-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Spy Phone Location Tracking and Remote Listening Software for Blackberry Mobile Phones - FlexiSPY PRO Blackberry Spyphone (http://www.flexispy.com/spyphone-remote-listening-blackberry.htm)

Next stop - we are watching you.

daphne
08-16-2008, 04:26 PM
I am not making light of their concerns.
This should be taken to the authorities. Even if paranoia is involved.

Have you seen Flexispy in action? Has anyone here?

"FlexiSPY must be consciously installed on the device by a user who has physical possession of that device."

In which case, following the earlier instructions to wipe out the BB and just reload the OS, will remove any threat. Right?

I have not seen FleixSpy in action, but it is documented in the YouTube video link I posted above. IF there was a trial version, which there doesn't seem to be, I would install it on my BB to see how it works. It has been tested by some security software companies and can be removed on some mobile phones by mobile anti-virus software (not BlackBerrys). There is a description and screenshots of FlexiSpy (Symbian version) here:

F-Secure Malware Information Pages: Flexispy.A (http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/flexispy_a.shtml)

JSanders, the FlexiSpy website claims to have a version for BlackBerry. I posted the link above. This Symantec write up says it works on BlackBerrys.

Spyware.FlexiSpy - Symantec.com (http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2006-033012-3337-99)
This page gives the names of the .cod file on the BB.
Spyware.FlexiSpy - Symantec.com (http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2006-033012-3337-99&tabid=2)

On BlackBerry:
The program arrives as the following Java application:
net_rim_app_console_pro.cod

Yes, the person would have to have the phone in their possession to install something like FlexiSpy. And yes, wiping and reloading the OS would remove the threat. I agree reporting to the authorities is the right thing to do, but there can be complications to a situation.

Since I'm on my soapbox, I'll take it a little further. In cases of domestic abuse (which this may or may not be), there can be serious consequences to the victim if the abuser finds out that they are planning a getaway or tampering with technology used to track them. Using a keylogger/surveillance app on a PC as an example -- if an abuser finds out the victim has removed the keylogger, they may become more violent with the victim. If the abuser finds out they are making plans to leave or getting help, it can trigger more violence -- beating, that kind of thing. I was on a panel at a workshop where an expert on domestic abuse spoke about these things, especially related to electornic monitoring. It was quite an eye opener. There may be reasons not to remove the spy software or keylogger until the victim has a safe place to go. There is some basic information about this here:

Internet and Computer Safety (http://www.nnedv.org/internetsafety.html)

JSanders
08-16-2008, 04:32 PM
I saw that it was available for BB now, I was looking at the first link you had posted.

As stated earlier, the user needs to wipe their device and reload the OS, and be prepared with local law enforcement for protection should their tracker become violent.

daphne
08-16-2008, 04:47 PM
I saw that it was available for BB now, I was looking at the first link you had posted.

As stated earlier, the user needs to wipe their device and reload the OS, and be prepared with local law enforcement for protection should their tracker become violent.

I thought the first link I posted was to the BlackBerry version. :razz: If the OP is a victim of abuse, he/she (in almost all cases the victim is a woman), should contact a support agency for victims of domestic violence. Most US metropolitan areas have such agencies, and there are national hotlines, too. There are resources for help with safe escape including when to contact law enforcement. If it's not a domestic abuse situation, contacting the police right away would seem the best action. A restraining order might be needed, and charges might need to be filed.

JSanders
08-16-2008, 04:52 PM
The link up in post #19. I didn't see BB listed there.

And, we might only be assuming it is a woman.

daphne
08-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Check post # 7. ;-)

Correct, we don't know if the OP is a man or woman. There is a lot we don't know about the OP (and I would not encourage them to post too many details of their situation on a public forum). Sometimes there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Everyone's circumstances can be different and we don't know all the details.

raven71
08-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Wirelessly posted (8310 Curve)

Contact FBI and ask for the IC3 unit. You should find them on the FBI website under internet fraud.
They will help you and direct you to the proper group. Chances are that if it is only in your area they will tell you to contact local authorities first.
If it is over State or Country Borders then they will work with you.
Very good group of people I have been involved working with them before.
Do NOT wipe your BB or Computer. Let them check your devices

kjjb0204
08-16-2008, 07:12 PM
I wonder who own's the number you are calling that triggers the notification. Do you know what kind of service that number belongs to? Cell, landline, BB, pda, Skype, Vonage? I can set my Vonage service so I get a notice on my BB (via email) when I have a missed call or new voice message on my Vonage home office line. Wonder if the offender is getting notices of calls/texts from everyone calling/texting that number and not just when you call/text...??

monkeypaw
08-16-2008, 10:57 PM
I don't think there's any high tech thing going on here. Either it's as simple as the other person has hacked the cell phone account or they have a friend who works for the provider and is feeding information. Could even be the same activity on the receiver's account.

Or they're doing some standard stalking/control freak behavior and bluffing. As in they'll see someone making a call and going by the person's demanor while on the call, they guess what kind of call it is. Then make an accusation and then guess by the reaction whether they're right or not.

I think it is very possible to create a spyware type program and install it on a BB if someone has access and any password. It is Java afterall. The Packet8 dialing program on my phone intercepts international calls and then routes it to Packet8 so I save money on the call. Wouldn't take a lot more work to do the same thing, except let the call go through, but send a message on what number I'm calling to someone else. The program does not show as running (neither does Google Calendar sync or several other programs) and I'm sure there's a way to not get it to show in Applications. Or just name it something that sounds like it belongs.

But on the OP's situation, this doesn't sound like anything new. In lots of abusive or similar situation the victim will say the abuser said they were always watching, had a tracking mechanism in the car, had a group of associates who were watching them even when they weren't, etc. It's all BS as it sounds like in this case. A third party website being able to access the cell provider's data would be a huge security breach. If it existed, Paparazzi and news media would be using it all the time to track stars or suspects.