PDA

View Full Version : De-registering a PIN

ackers
08-17-2008, 05:20 AM
Hi, I bought a 7130g on eBay which was on o2, I have got it unlocked to use on Orange, but when I tried to set up a data plan with them I was told the PIN was still registered on the RIM relay. I contacted o2 and asked if they could de-register the PIN, at this stage I did a search on the forum and realised what I was up against. Nobody at o2 really understood what I was asking, so I think that is a dead end. I contacted the person I bought the phone from who was very helpful, but as he wasn’t the first owner that avenue is now closed. I have set up an email account and that works fine. Now I come to the point of this post, the original owner may be a member of this forum, if you recognise the PIN 20491AA7 can you please contact o2, or me, and de-register the PIN.
Thanks.

ezrunner
08-17-2008, 06:12 AM
Wirelessly posted (off to see the wizard)

Contact o2 and ask for data support or BB support one of those groups should be able to take care of you

Foxglove
08-17-2008, 06:27 AM
How did you set up an email account?

JSanders
08-17-2008, 06:50 AM
Yep, if you are able to set an email to the device, it is not registered elsewhere.

Ackers, your issue is a common one, when purchasing a used BB (needing a PIN unregistered from a carrier network so you can register in your name).

ackers
08-17-2008, 06:50 AM
The previous owner got a reply from o2, which he sent to me, basically saying to de-register he must delete his email account. He had never set up an email account so I browsed the o2 site just to have a look at what it said about deleting. While I was there I went through the motions of setting up an email account for myself and it worked. The number I am using is on Orange, but I have a PAYG which I was using on the bb before it was unlocked, this is now on my spare phone. Thanks to ‘foxglove’ I now know I can receive pin messages.

Foxglove
08-17-2008, 06:56 AM
Oh I see, you set up your email via the o2 webpage, correct?

ackers
08-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Yes, I've made a note of how much money is on the PAYG and I will check it tomorrow to see if it has been used.

ackers
08-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Just to re-cap. I bought a used phone on eBay, locked to o2. I bought a PAYG sim on o2 so I could check that the phone worked, I had also read that I needed a sim in the phone for when I got the unlock code. While I was waiting for the unlock code, I contacted o2 and enquired about using the phone on the internet, I think she sent me some configuration settings via a text, then said I couldn’t get a plan because I was on PAYG. Then when I had unlocked my phone I used my Orange sim to contact Orange, they sent me some settings but I could not access the web (I didn’t try email), while I was talking to the tech support he told me the PIN was not available as it was still with another carrier. That’s when I started chasing after the PIN.
Is it possible that my initial enquiry to o2 registered me and I am busy chasing me.

Foxglove
08-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Blackberry Internet Service does not work on pay and go. So as you have set up your email on the o2 webpage I would worry that the previous user may get billed for Data use.

What you may need to do is delete your email account on o2 then go to the Orange email set up webpage and do it there.

I assume you must have a Blackberry tariff with Orange, is that the case?

ackers
08-17-2008, 09:32 AM
I contacted Orange tech support again and talked to a very nice chap, we went through it all again and I am now a fully paid up member of Orangewap.
Foxglove, I take your point about o2 and I will cancel that now, lets hope I cancell the correct one.

Foxglove
08-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Orangewap? You need the 'Blackberry with talk' plan, its only £2.50 for the month of August on Orange.

Let us know how you get on as the PIN may need to be removed from o2's database still. When setting up your email on Orange you will get an error message if that is the case.

Also when you are activated you will receive a browser icon and email settings icon so you may not be able to do it until then and you may have to set up email from the device before you can use the web set up page but try the webpage first.

Good luck :)

ackers
08-17-2008, 11:25 AM
My browser is Orange World and evrything seems to be working OK, when I click the browser icon it is an O2 splash screen that comes up but then the orange pages come on. I set up the email with no error messages, and yes the cost of the plan should be £7.50 but is on offer for £2.50. The tech admitted that the original operator had given me some duff info, so I may have been chasing myself.
Thanks for all the help.
Ackers.