PDA

View Full Version : BBSmartview Error after OS 4.5 Upgrade

angieth08
08-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Truly, I've searched for the answer in evey possible thread since yesterday evening and couldn't find anyone with this same issue.
I've been using BBSmartview since May and love the product! I upgraded to OS 4.5 yesterday and now I'm receiving an error when attempting to retrieve images in e-mail messages received:

BBSmart Email Viewer has detected that your connection settings may not be correct and has disabled images from displaying. To configure your connection settings, please go the the Connection Setup screen...

Once there, I choose TCP/IP and receive:

Connection Failure! Please check your radio coverage and review your selections.

Before the upgrade, the connection setting was TCP/IP, but just in case, I've tried changing to BIS - no dice. I wouldn't begin to know the WAP setings (which I don't believe are applicable here) and I'm definitely not on a BES/MDS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

djm2
08-21-2008, 01:47 PM
I have not yet moved to 4.5, but I thought that I had heard that most other folks had bagged Smartview because 4.5 enable html email without needing the 3rd party viewer. It also wouldn't surprise me if there was a conflict between 4.5 and Smartviewer.

spyder8800
08-21-2008, 02:04 PM
smartviewer will not open and work with 4.5, i had similiar issues when i upgraded...the html email with 4.5 is a whole lot nicer and cleaner than smartview anyway, i think youll agree...

angieth08
08-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Well, now my concen is just uninstalling the BBSmartview. Assuming from your replies, it's no longer necessary and the error pop-up is becoming VERY annoying!

Thanks for the replies!

bsachais
08-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Smartview does in fact work with 4.5. It runs just fine on my bb. There's really no issue at all.

angieth08, did you email Smartview for support? The company is very responsive and helpful.

CSO
08-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Smartview does in fact work with 4.5. It runs just fine on my bb. There's really no issue at all.

angieth08, did you email Smartview for support? The company is very responsive and helpful.

This discussion has been ongoing, on here, since OS4.5 was released, or partially released. BBSmart works for some people, but from what I was told by their support people it is not compatable with OS4.5, and that they're supposed be releasing an update soon (so they say, as it's been quite some time).

The problem that's being described above though is not one that I've experienced. I still use BBSmart because I like the optional functions/colors etc not provided by the BB Default mail program. And at least for me, it works for most emails, and those where it doesn't, usually ones with attacments, the email view will default over to the BB view, so in a sense no harm or foul.

Craig

angieth08
08-21-2008, 05:24 PM
I haven't contacted them yet, but sounds like great advice. I honestly fell in love with the customizable colors and fonts, as well as the SmartSay Options. Would love to keep it even if I toggle between the two.

I believe an e-mail to support is in order. I'll post their reply once received.

Thanks, again!
Angie T.

angieth08
08-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Just an FYI...

I had to uninstall the BBSmartview from my BB, download it again from the OTA link, re-enter the Activation Code and set-up connection type as BIS.
Works perfectly now and no problems with image downloads...

Thanks again for all your help/advice!
Angie T.

bsachais
08-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Glad to hear it's up and running again angieth08.

zerog46
08-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Not a smart remark at all but, Why is everyone still running the email viewers with 4.5 and the HTML Email. Just curious.

CSO
08-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Just an FYI...

I had to uninstall the BBSmartview from my BB, download it again from the OTA link, re-enter the Activation Code and set-up connection type as BIS.
Works perfectly now and no problems with image downloads...

Thanks again for all your help/advice!
Angie T.

So I take it you don't have a BES connection?

Snyder1
08-22-2008, 02:48 PM
My BB doesnt show emails in HTML, am I missing something?

ArgonNJ
08-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Not a smart remark at all but, Why is everyone still running the email viewers with 4.5 and the HTML Email. Just curious.

It gives you other option besides just HTML. You can make the header a different color for each of your different email address, you can change the font, the background color and such. I use to use it before I upgraded to 4.5.

ArgonNJ
08-22-2008, 03:04 PM
My BB doesnt show emails in HTML, am I missing something?

What OS version are you running? And are you on a BES or BIS.

zerog46
08-22-2008, 04:19 PM
It gives you other option besides just HTML. You can make the header a different color for each of your different email address, you can change the font, the background color and such. I use to use it before I upgraded to 4.5.

I used it prior also, now I don't see any reason to use it. It's nice without it, beacuse the email loads faster.

Yoryie
08-23-2008, 09:24 AM

For me: add to calendar, and add as task are invaluable. These two options always make me reinstall it. (I uninstall some times out of frustration, since most times will not download images.) Then is also the eye candy...and the ability to have my different e-mail addresses look different from one another.

I still have hope for an upgrade coming. Have not write for assistance because I do not like rushing developers, and I read elsewhere that developer said they are working on it. When is ready, it will be ready.

zerog46
08-23-2008, 10:28 AM
For me: add to calendar, and add as task are invaluable. These two options always make me reinstall it. (I uninstall some times out of frustration, since most times will not download images.) Then is also the eye candy...and the ability to have my different e-mail addresses look different from one another.

I still have hope for an upgrade coming. Have not write for assistance because I do not like rushing developers, and I read elsewhere that developer said they are working on it. When is ready, it will be ready.

That was my reason for deleting it. If it's not going to work with everything to me there is no point in using it. And believe me I have used it from the beginning and it worked great with 4.2 to 4.3 and there have been numerous threads on a "upgrade coming soon" but no one has heard anything in a while. I loved the program when it worked but it's too much of a hassle now.

CSO
08-24-2008, 04:12 PM
I sent customer service an email asking when they plan on releasing an upgrade to make BBSmart Email Viewer compatible with OS4.5. Here's their response:

Hi Craig,

The main reason for the delay is because supporting OS 4.5 from BBSmart
Email Viewer is not a top priority in comparison to releasing updates
for our other products. OS 4.5 introduces native HTML and so one of the
main draws for this product is somewhat alleviated. It's definitely on
the list of things to do, but there are several other more pressing
updates for other products that are being addressed first.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Best Regards,

Yoryie
08-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks CSO for writing to customer service and sharing their answer. I wish just RIM adds the "add to calendar"and "add to tasks" options to their e-mail.

Although BBSmart's decision makes a bit of sense from a business perspective it does feel a little disloyal to the customers that are stuck now with their application. I ended up paying for a license on a program that became outdated before 9 months of use.

Oh well..9 months is nine years in program code life :-)

I will uninstall now....and I do not think I will patronize any program by the same developer...at least for a while :?