PDA

View Full Version : Updating multiple handsets with one desktop manager

manpreet
08-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Hello everyone!

I have a TMo 8700g which I sync with Desktop Manager (v 4.3.0.17...hmmm...just noticed there is a much newer one online) loaded to my laptop. I have used this DM and laptop to update the OS on my 8700g. I have a friend who has the TMo 8120 Pearl who needs an OS update too. I know her version of OS is different...but if I d/l the appropriate version for her, can I use my DM to upgrade her s/w even though I use the same DM to manage my own BB? I don't plan to sync or anything on hers, basically just update her OS since she's not comfortable doing it herself.

If you good people have any reason to believe it's not a good idea to use ONE DM to manage multiple phones (especially if the units belong to different people), then I would appreciate some insight.

Thanks!

JSanders
08-23-2008, 01:38 PM
You can do that, with no problem.

Download and install her OS to your PC, remove the vendor file, etc., following all the instructions in the thread to do so.

Good luck.

manpreet
08-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks JS! My only concern is, when I read the instructions from the TMo site:

To update the software on your Handheld or update the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software on your computer:

Download the Handheld Software to your computer.
Install the Handheld Software onto your computer.
Check the box next to “Yes, I want to start the Application Loader (or Desktop Manager)”, and click Finish.
If Application Loader doesn’t launch, you can launch it by navigating to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader. Double click on the file named Loader.exe.
Connect your handheld to the computer with the USB data cable.
Follow the on-screen instructions to update the software on your Handheld.
If you also want to update the Desktop Manager software, download the Desktop Manager Software to your computer. Choose the Desktop Manager version depending on if you need multi-language and Media Manager support.
Install the new Desktop Manager onto your computer.

I wasn't too thrilled to read the part about "Install the Handheld Software onto your computer.". Why do I need to INSTALL the sw on my pc? Don't I just dl it and push it out to the device? Is it really INSTALLING the BB sw on my pc?

P.S. What thread?

JSanders
08-23-2008, 02:08 PM
It really really does install the handheld software to your PC... there is no other way to get it to the BB.

Afterwards, and she is all uptodate, on the PC > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and uninstall it.

takeshi
08-25-2008, 09:56 AM
I wasn't too thrilled to read the part about "Install the Handheld Software onto your computer.". Why do I need to INSTALL the sw on my pc?
The handheld software is unusable until you have installed it on your PC. It needs to be decompressed and placed into "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files" on your PC.

Trust us. We've done this once or twice (many many times, actually). The instructions are correct.

P.S. What thread?
The series/model-specific forums have threads for different OS releases. The first post in each thread has detailed instructions.