PDA

View Full Version : Help with my new Blackberry please...

Kaaji1359
08-24-2008, 02:36 AM
Hey guys... sorry if this is the wrong forum, wasn't too sure where to post. Anyway, I have some questions so here goes:

1) My main goal was for this phone to sync with Outlook, but whenever I open up the Desktop Manager and try to Configure it to sync with outlook, I get this error: "Runtime Error: Folder is no longer part of the system data source or the folder cannot be found." I'm using the Desktop Manager 4.3 and I JUST installed it so I havn't changed a thing. This error happens for Tasks, Calendar, Contacts, and the Address Book. Anyone have an idea??

2) If someone sends me an e-mail to my Hotmail account and my Blackberry gets it first, will Outlook be able to retrieve it also? OR will I be able to see it on Outlook once my Blackberry and Outlook sync up? I don't want to be able to not read e-mails on Outlook that I received on my phone... Basically I want an IMAP (I think), where everything syncs from the server.

3) Do Microsoft Exchange Servers work with the Blackberry??

4) I text a lot, so is there a way to make it so that the "Messages" screen ONLY shows Text Messages?? As of right now, it shows text messages AND e-mails from my 2 e-mail accounts (There's 2 separate e-mail buttons for my e-mail accounts, so I don't need to check e-mail in the "Messages" section).

That's it for now... I might have more :)

Thanks in advance! I'll be checking back soon.

monkeypaw
08-24-2008, 03:40 AM
Well I think I know 1 to 3, but I'll not speculate. On 4) you can split emails and sms into separate screens.

In messages, go to Options (BB Key then Options) > General Options > SMS and Email Inboxes. Then choose "Separate". There will now be one icon for emails and one icon for text messages.

What version of Outlook are you using? If it's 2000, I think DM 4.3 and above no longer have support for Outlook 2000.

zerog46
08-24-2008, 06:05 AM
Wirelessly posted (BB 8330)

#2 go into email accounts in Outlook, open the account and go to advanced options and check the box to leave a copy on the server.

Kaaji1359
08-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the replies!

1) I'm using Outlook 2007 BTW, so I have no idea why in the world this isn't working... it's really frustrating.

2) I just answered it myself... I got an e-mail on my Blackberry and I also got it on Outlook (it was just marked as read already).

3) Still not sure

4) Thanks MonkeyPaw

Pretty much I just need to find out how to do #1.

holden
08-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi

I found this thread on another forum but don't know if it will apply to #1.

04-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Ran into this error for a user who had DM 4.2 and was using MSN within Outlook. User had a local .pst associated with the Outlook account, and was manually copying data into those folders for the Blackberry to synchronize with. After adjusting a few account settings everything stopped working.

The user uninstalled 4.2 and upgraded to 4.3, but still no dice. The issue was that 4.3 wanted to see Outlook's mail delivery location set to the Outlook account, not the online msn account. (Outlook - Tools - Account Settings - Mail Delivery location)

We changed the mail delivery settings and applied them (leaving Outlook open), ran DM and set all of the synchronization settings and ran sync. After that completed we went back into Outlook and set the delivery path back. This prevented Outlook from messing with the calendars and folders as it warns with the first change.

Kaaji1359
08-24-2008, 11:38 AM
I just read that, but I don't get it lol. It doesn't mean a thing to me... Can anyone decipher that?

monkeypaw
08-24-2008, 02:31 PM
I just read that, but I don't get it lol. It doesn't mean a thing to me... Can anyone decipher that?

Alright, no one else jumped in on 3, but the answer is yes. But I believe it takes BES. However, I find personally that I wouldn't really want sychronization with my desktop. There are tons of emails I need to save, but don't want to clutter up the BB.

You may want to try DM 4.2 v.2 or maybe the more recent 4.5 or 4.6. DM 4.3 caused a lot of synchronization problems, which I think will show up in a fourm search. Lots of people went back to 4.2 v.2 until the later versions came out.

Kaaji1359
08-24-2008, 05:49 PM
I just downloaded 4.6 with no luck, and I can guarantee you it's probably not a problem with a version...

There has GOT to be someone out there that has solved this problem...

Anyone?? Please??

djm2
08-24-2008, 06:37 PM
My guess is that your PST file that stores the Outlook data is stored in a non-standard location. It should be in:

C:\Documents and Settings\{LoginName}\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

where LoginName is replaced by your user name for computer logon. Have you by any chance moved it from there?

Kaaji1359
08-24-2008, 08:02 PM
My guess is that your PST file that stores the Outlook data is stored in a non-standard location. It should be in:

C:\Documents and Settings\{LoginName}\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

where LoginName is replaced by your user name for computer logon. Have you by any chance moved it from there?

I just checked and "Outlook.pst" is under Jeff\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\OUtlook.pst (for Vista). It was named Outlook2.pst so I changed it to just "Outlook.pst" but the error message still persists whenever I try to Sync.

Have any other suggestions, as I'm pretty sure this is an Outlook problem. Thanks for the reply BTW.

Edit: I forgot to mention... one of my e-mails is a Hotmail account that I use with Outlook Connector. Although I doubt that this is a problem (because the Calendar/Tasks/Notes won't even Sync), I figure that I'd mention it.

Kaaji1359
08-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Anyone have anymore ideas?

daphne
08-25-2008, 12:15 AM
Check to see if your PC has .NET framework installed. You can see it in the Control Panel Add\Remove applet. I'm not sure if that's the problem, but it can't hurt to check. If you don't have .NET framework, you can download it from Microsoft here.

Download details: .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyId=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en)

Kaaji1359
08-25-2008, 12:53 AM
Thanks everybody for the help... I happened to figure it out and love BlackBerry more than ever now!

Here's what the problem was: my default mail was Hotmail (for some reason I couldn't set my @<hidden> e-mail account as the default), so that's why it couldn't sync, because Hotmail is run from online. I happened to create a "Personal Folder's" mail account folder... I then moved all of my contacts, calendar events, notes and tasks to the "personal folders" file instead of the hotmail file. It was then able to sync...

Unfortunately, now I have wasted space in my "Mail" section of Outlook since I don't have any mail in the "personal folder's" section... but at least I can now sync!