PDA

View Full Version : having problems formatting my micro SD

kuubaby
08-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Ive been trying to format my micro SD and when I do it says "Media Card Format Failed". Does anyone know why that would happen and how to fix it?

zerog46
08-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Have you tried to format it in your PC.

penguin3107
08-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (Breaking Ball)

Ive been trying to format my micro SD and when I do it says "Media Card Format Failed". Does anyone know why that would happen and how to fix it?

What size SD card and what version OS is your handheld?

mtrobster
08-26-2008, 08:23 PM
I had the same problem. I took the card out, then shut down BB, took out battery, then did a reboot. When I put micro sd card in, I was able to format. Now it works perfect!!

clevebb
08-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Where did you get your card from? Some cards are fake and once used a little they will stop even formating

kuubaby
08-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Have you tried to format it in your PC.

I have put my sd in my laptop and I cant ever seem to find it. So i quit trying. Any suggestions?

kuubaby
08-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Wirelessly posted (Breaking Ball)

What size SD card and what version OS is your handheld?

Im sorry... Im very new to this whole blackeberry thing and I dont know what an OS is. :? But my SD is a 1gb

kuubaby
08-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Where did you get your card from? Some cards are fake and once used a little they will stop even formating

I dont remember exactly where I got it from. It worked fine in my other phone and I have never tried formatting it in my old phone. I just tried putting it in my pearl and now its not letting me format the card. Will I still be able to put music on the SD if I dont format it?

kuubaby
08-26-2008, 09:03 PM
I had the same problem. I took the card out, then shut down BB, took out battery, then did a reboot. When I put micro sd card in, I was able to format. Now it works perfect!!

So I tried doing what you said you did, and its still not working. :cry:

zerog46
08-26-2008, 09:18 PM
What brand is it. You might have to rename the drive in your PC if you can't find it.

kuubaby
08-26-2008, 09:28 PM
What brand is it. You might have to rename the drive in your PC if you can't find it.

Its a transcend or something like that. How do I rename the drive?

zerog46
08-26-2008, 09:32 PM
What O.S. are you using on your pc.

kuubaby
08-26-2008, 10:02 PM
What O.S. are you using on your pc.

Im sorry. Im gonna sound like a complete moron, but i dont know what an O.S. is. Im sorry. :?

johnnyrichter
08-27-2008, 03:22 AM
Im sorry. Im gonna sound like a complete moron, but i dont know what an O.S. is. Im sorry. :?

Your phone runs on an OS, which is the abbreviation for Operating System.

Your computer does as well...Could be Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP, etc.

To check the OS version on your phone, hit the menu key > go to "options" > go to "about" > third line down is a version number that starts with v, looks like "v1.1.1.11", but with different numbers and no quotation marks.

To check the OS version on your computer, right-click the "My Computer" icon which is either on your desktop(main screen), or in your start menu > then click "properties" > under "System" will be the operating system's info. Mine says...

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

As for your card not formatting on your phone, and your laptop not recognizing it...it could very well be a bad card(especially after a battery pull didn't fix the problem). Go with a trusted/mainstream brand when it comes to media cards. I use a Sandisk 4GB micro-SD card in my phone...it did refuse to format about a week after purchasing, but a battery pull fixed that and I haven't had any issues since then.

Hope that helps! (y)

starrs2
08-27-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm glad I found this forum. I'd tried several different ways to format my micro sd card with no success. I never even thought of rebooting my blackberry! :idea:
Thanks!!
(y)

kuubaby
08-27-2008, 01:39 PM
(n)Your phone runs on an OS, which is the abbreviation for Operating System.

Your computer does as well...Could be Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP, etc.

To check the OS version on your phone, hit the menu key > go to "options" > go to "about" > third line down is a version number that starts with v, looks like "v1.1.1.11", but with different numbers and no quotation marks.

To check the OS version on your computer, right-click the "My Computer" icon which is either on your desktop(main screen), or in your start menu > then click "properties" > under "System" will be the operating system's info. Mine says...

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

As for your card not formatting on your phone, and your laptop not recognizing it...it could very well be a bad card(especially after a battery pull didn't fix the problem). Go with a trusted/mainstream brand when it comes to media cards. I use a Sandisk 4GB micro-SD card in my phone...it did refuse to format about a week after purchasing, but a battery pull fixed that and I haven't had any issues since then.

Hope that helps! (y)

Thank you so much. Yes, that did help alot. I guess im just gonna have to get a new card. Oh well. Do you know how to upgrade from OS version 4.2 to 4.5?