PDA

View Full Version : What all can I do on my Nextel 7520?

FragTek
09-03-2005, 08:02 PM
I've just purchased myself a new Blackberry 7520 for the Nextel network and it hasn't arrived yet... I've been doing a bit of research and it sounds like the Nextel BB's don't get any good net/email checking abilities through Nextel so I've been doing some research on BES... Do I need to be on a BES network for programs like IM+ and Gmail Mobile to work properly/well?

The main reason I purchased the BB was for enhanced web surfing, mobile email, and most importantly live IM's (non SMS).

Will i be able to do it through Nextel or do I need to get on to a BES network to do this stuff?

Thanks all!

Dawg
09-03-2005, 08:03 PM
I dont understand what you are talking about on the email part i get great email service with my 7520

FragTek
09-03-2005, 08:34 PM
I dont understand what you are talking about on the email part i get great email service with my 7520
Can I just use it to connect up to any POP3 email account?

I'm more worried about web and IM than email.

CyberJack
09-03-2005, 09:04 PM
FragTek: You can have the Blackberry Web Client poll your POP 3 accounts, up to 10. The interval, I believe, is 15 minutes. So if you want truly instant email, plus the security you may opt for BES. If you obtain both an Exchange Account and BES service figure $20 a month. I don't want to sound like I am being a jerk but because a number of questions get asked repeatedly and it gets tedious for folks to answer them, it is a good idea to search the Board for issues before posting. There are a lot of excellent threads that cover a lot of common issues. Good Luck!

FragTek
09-03-2005, 09:16 PM
FragTek: You can have the Blackberry Web Client poll your POP 3 accounts, up to 10. The interval, I believe, is 15 minutes. So if you want truly instant email, plus the security you may opt for BES. If you obtain both an Exchange Account and BES service figure $20 a month. I don't want to sound like I am being a jerk but because a number of questions get asked repeatedly and it gets tedious for folks to answer them, it is a good idea to search the Board for issues before posting. There are a lot of excellent threads that cover a lot of common issues. Good Luck!

Lazy, i am :) Thx for the response... I think i'll opt for a BES setup, I've got exchange server 2k3 setup on my server comp and a buddy has a copy of BES.

Thx!

koleary19067
09-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Good luck, hope it all works out.

Mr Pink57
09-04-2005, 12:07 AM
Wirelessly posted (your electric?: BlackBerry7520/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.12)

You might want to look at a different device then a bb if your concerns are web and IM over email, maybe something like a SK2 or along those lines. Also the 7520 can do anything any other bb can do in terms of function minus SMS but with the addition of GPS.

pink

FragTek
09-04-2005, 06:43 AM
Wirelessly posted (your electric?: BlackBerry7520/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.12)

You might want to look at a different device then a bb if your concerns are web and IM over email, maybe something like a SK2 or along those lines. Also the 7520 can do anything any other bb can do in terms of function minus SMS but with the addition of GPS.

pink
The only handheld pda option with Nextel is the 7520.. I'll give it a shot and see if I like it.

Dawg
09-04-2005, 07:06 AM
I guarantee you once you get it all set up and working you wont ever look back. I use gmail to forward all my mail to my BB its has a seconds to 1 minute turn around instead of the 15 minute polling. I use verichat for IM and am very pleased with it. The web is not like a PC and never will be I do very limited web searching i do use BB411 which is an awesome product BBlight will fix the light issue with a drop in battery life of course.

if your buddy is using the bes and only one license you wont be able to use it one user per license if I am not mistaken the admins maybe able to help more on that one

FragTek
09-04-2005, 11:17 PM
I guarantee you once you get it all set up and working you wont ever look back. I use gmail to forward all my mail to my BB its has a seconds to 1 minute turn around instead of the 15 minute polling. I use verichat for IM and am very pleased with it. The web is not like a PC and never will be I do very limited web searching i do use BB411 which is an awesome product BBlight will fix the light issue with a drop in battery life of course.

if your buddy is using the bes and only one license you wont be able to use it one user per license if I am not mistaken the admins maybe able to help more on that one
He has a 100 or 200 user license i believe.

mas90guru
09-05-2005, 06:38 AM
You didn't ask about text messagin, but the 7520 is barely literate in that area. It can receive but not reply. And on my 7520 it will not show WHO sent the message (except for some reason my Nextel 850 seems to transmit the return address).

If text messaging is a big part of your life - think strongly AGAINST the 7520 as there is not presently any solution for it short of sending reply texts via email (which is half witted because you won't know who these text messages came from unless everyone signs them)....

FYI

FragTek
09-05-2005, 02:32 PM
You didn't ask about text messagin, but the 7520 is barely literate in that area. It can receive but not reply. And on my 7520 it will not show WHO sent the message (except for some reason my Nextel 850 seems to transmit the return address).

If text messaging is a big part of your life - think strongly AGAINST the 7520 as there is not presently any solution for it short of sending reply texts via email (which is half witted because you won't know who these text messages came from unless everyone signs them)....

FYI

Yeah that's completely whack... Fortunately I don't do much texting, though I was planning on maybe doing more of it with the addition of the blackberry, but it looks to be out of the question.