PDA

View Full Version : Some info for a newbie please ??

TheCrewDesigns
09-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Hello, new to the forum and new to Blackberry's

I have just bought a second hand Blackberry 8700v Pro. I would like to know if there are any differences between a 8700 and a 8700 Pro ??

I understand the 'v' at the end is for Vodaphone but what about the Pro ?

Also if I use this as a pay as you go phone and of course add my own sim (sime would have to be from vodaphone as its locked) could I set up the e-mail aspect of the phone or is that only for contract users ??

Auroraboy
09-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Don't know about Vodafone, but Rogers (GSM carrier in Canada) requires you to have data plan to set up e-mail via BIS (Blackberry Internet Service). They only offer data plans for contract, not Pay As You Go. I suspect most carriers are the same, but I am not sure.

JSanders
09-07-2008, 07:35 PM
I don't recall any PAYGo plans for Vodafone being mentioned here, but I could be wrong.

And I have never heard of a 8700 Pro. i suspect there is nothing additional there, just some added name by the carrier.

Auroraboy
09-07-2008, 08:00 PM
I don't recall any PAYGo plans for Vodafone being mentioned here, but I could be wrong.

And I have never heard of a 8700 Pro. i suspect there is nothing additional there, just some added name by the carrier.

This is where I understood the OP was asking about activating on Vodafone PAYG........

Also if I use this as a pay as you go phone and of course add my own sim (sim would have to be from vodaphone as its locked)

JSanders
09-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Also if I use this as a pay as you go phone and of course add my own sim (sime would have to be from vodaphone as its locked) could I set up the e-mail aspect of the phone or is that only for contract users ??

I don't believe Vodafone will allow a BB Data Plan on a prepay plan.

strike2tamu
09-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Welcome.

TheCrewDesigns
09-08-2008, 10:31 AM
OK thanks, so the 'Pro' on the end of the phones description means nothing !

I can use the phone as pay-as-you-go but that wont be with e-mail is that about right :smile:

JSanders
09-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Correct. You might find different from Vodafone, but I do believe that is correct.

There are only a couple of carriers which have an "email only" data plan, but rarely on a PAYGo plan.

TheCrewDesigns
09-08-2008, 01:05 PM
OK thanks a lot for your help