PDA

View Full Version : Restoring a backup from another device.

SteveO86
09-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Ok, I've had this Curve for about 2 weeks now and I kind of noticed the screen was flickering ever so slightly 2 night ago... Which kind of freaked me out...

So sometime today I am probably to get to VZW and swap this out with another one. My only concern is getting all my data back on the new one.

What I am thinking about doing is... Using the Switch Device Wizard from my Old 8830 to the new 8330 and then upgrading to 4.5 and then restoring the latest backup from my original 8330...

Now by using a backup from a different device I'm not going to corrupt any of the data right? Or am I overthinking this?

I should probably roll back to 4.3 before I bring it VZW of course.

fonejunkie
09-14-2008, 11:27 AM
I'd say you are probably over-thinking it. Simply use the desktop manager's switch device wizard. Now your 'stuff' is on your new 8330.

Now do the OS upgrade.

Take it slow and do the deed logically and in steps and you should be fine.

GXX
09-14-2008, 11:31 AM
You'll be fine.

And yes, you should roll back to 4.3 just to be safe if you are sending it back to VZW.

holden
09-14-2008, 11:34 AM
I second the "Switch Device Wizard"..
Takes all the guess out of the swap...

H.

SteveO86
09-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Wow, I Don't know what happened.... I got my new Curve, Went threw the switch device wizard with BDM 4.6 and got that 507 error... then it continued like normal but NONE of my 3rd party apps got restored. :(

I tried wiping the device and uninstalling 4.6 and installed BDM 4.3 and still didn't restore my 3rd party apps..

O well.. This is gonna take some time lol.

John Clark
09-14-2008, 06:48 PM
If the device gets wiped (507 error) then 3rd party apps are lost.

3rd party apps are only retained during an upgrade/downgrade. Wiping the device (using javaloader/JL_Cmder) will dump all the 3rd party apps.

I posted instructions for making a 3rd party app backup for just such occasions:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/91912-how-backup-restore-all-installed-3rd-party-apps.html

SteveO86
09-14-2008, 06:52 PM
ooo Ok, I guess got a bit head strong when I transfered everything to my first Curve it went smooth as silk, this second gave me a bit of trouble..

I got my Important stuff back on, Ascendo Data Vault, Weather Bug, jiveTalk.. Now I'm just trying to get my Web shortcuts back.