PDA

View Full Version : It's Official. Verizon talking points and photo of the Thunder!!

BBSwany
09-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Here you go! CrackBerry.com got ahold of the internal PDF from Verizon with talking points about the Thunder. The most exciting thing I'm seeing is:

QUAD BAND CONNECTIVITY :smile:

http://www.crackberry.com/files/kevin/blackberrystormminutewithmike.jpg

Keep an eye on http://www.verizonwireless.com/storm , should be going up sometime today.

SoUnCool
09-15-2008, 11:40 AM
I can confirm click touch screen, its been told to us by our RIM guy

jarodl
09-15-2008, 11:59 AM
No Wi-fi? What is wrong with RIM?

dwp1975
09-15-2008, 12:20 PM
No Wi-fi? What is wrong with RIM?

That may have been a Verizon decision more than RIM. You can count with less than one had the Wifi devices they have. :razz:

dwp1975
09-15-2008, 12:25 PM
I have to say the image of the device on that screenshot makes the device look pretty darn sweeet!!! I am going to set aside $400-500 for this device. Hopefully it won't cost more than that full retail.

wayneholbrook
09-15-2008, 12:48 PM
being that this device is a quad band does that mean tmo & at&t can use it unlocked?

dwp1975
09-15-2008, 12:52 PM
being that this device is a quad band does that mean tmo & at&t can use it unlocked?

Probably not, it is probably programed to have CDMA as the primary radio in when in the US.

Jason Mark
09-15-2008, 12:59 PM

Verizon might be the only carrier to have the 9530 in the US. But the 9500 will work on AT&T & T-Mobile.

Justinangil
09-15-2008, 01:16 PM
I would be sorely disappointed if this multi-media, international phone does not come with wi-fi

bmw1986
09-15-2008, 01:24 PM
When do you think Sprint will get this device or something other then the Curve?

JSanders
09-15-2008, 01:35 PM
More info posted here...
Storm details posted from VZW’s “Mike”; images also arise | BlackBerryNews.com (http://www.blackberrynews.com/2008/09/15/storm-details-posted-from-vzws-mike-images-also-arise/)

JSanders
09-15-2008, 01:36 PM
When do you think Sprint will get this device or something other then the Curve?

Probably not this device... at least not early on.

Frank Castle
09-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Likely Verizon will have a 6 month exclusive on the form factor. It will be interesting if it does meet the November dates. Fastest Verizon ever put a device out!

dhendriksen
09-15-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm an owner. Verizon NEVER has cool new phones. This thing look awesome. I just hope the keyboard works good.

whsbuss
09-15-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm an owner. Verizon NEVER has cool new phones. This thing look awesome. I just hope the keyboard works good.

Lets hope RIM built in some keyboard smarts..... In vertical or horizontal mode, when reading a message, the keyboard drops down to view more message real estate..... when replying/forwarding the keyboard pops up. That would be awesome!

Think I'll wait a little longer before deciding to move to AT&T and the Bold. Heck, the Storm may be out concurrent with the Bold!

BBSwany
09-15-2008, 05:11 PM
More info posted here...
Storm details posted from VZW’s “Mike”; images also arise | BlackBerryNews.com (http://www.blackberrynews.com/2008/09/15/storm-details-posted-from-vzws-mike-images-also-arise/)

Thanks for the post JSanders! I wish Verizon would launch the web page so we can see some rendered images. But appreciate whoever risked they're job getting those camera phone pics out! (y) And I'm assuming you fixed my little spelling error. Thanks again!

Think I'll wait a little longer before deciding to move to AT&T and the Bold. Heck, the Storm may be out concurrent with the Bold!

At the speed AT&T is moving with the Bold, that is not out of the realm of possibility. The Death Star was never fast though... :razz:

Andyn
09-15-2008, 06:32 PM
My Verizon Gov't rep told me Thursday that this should be launched around Oct. 8th time frame.

Andyn
09-15-2008, 06:36 PM
JSanders: Is it me or is Sprint focusing more on Nextel side lately? Several new IDEN's coming out including new BB.....Although curiously, I saw Sprint prez in a commercial during nfl game last night promoting the WIMAX or as he said 4G.

whsbuss
09-15-2008, 07:39 PM
My Verizon Gov't rep told me Thursday that this should be launched around Oct. 8th time frame.

Well if that panned out, it could beat the Bold release!

Jason Mark
09-15-2008, 07:52 PM
The actual video that VZW employees got to see today is up at Crackberry.com :D

floz23
09-15-2008, 08:16 PM
^^^^^^

YouTube - Verizon BlackBerry Storm Announcement Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eO5E2xwyXA)

-Adam

akosnitzky
09-15-2008, 09:17 PM

I agree with you with regard to the keyboard.

dwp1975
09-15-2008, 10:33 PM
^^^^^^

YouTube - Verizon BlackBerry Storm Announcement Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eO5E2xwyXA)

-Adam

Wish it hinted at pricing and/or release date. But good to see it be acknowledged. (y)

BBSwany
09-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Wish it hinted at pricing and/or release date. But good to see it be acknowledged. (y)

Depending on the reviews of this, it just may be good enough to switch to Verizon for..

dwp1975
09-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Depending on the reviews of this, it just may be good enough to switch to Verizon for..

I will definately be at the local VZW store first thing when this is launched :-)

someonexh
09-18-2008, 05:43 AM
I will definately be at the local VZW store first thing when this is launched :-)

Much quicker (in the past at least) to order over the phone and get it shipped to you. :)

nore03
09-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Why do you guys even need wi-fi? for the most part Verizon's internet is pretty quick and is available almost everywhere. Plus you HAVE to get the internet package with this phone so you will have internet no matter where you are. Why is it that we NEED wi-fi?

lraed74
09-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Why do you guys even need wi-fi? for the most part Verizon's internet is pretty quick and is available almost everywhere. Plus you HAVE to get the internet package with this phone so you will have internet no matter where you are. Why is it that we NEED wi-fi?

For the times you visit your parents, who live out in the middle of no where, and the signal is weak at best. So at that moment, yes, you would need WiFi

dwp1975
09-18-2008, 08:42 AM

Maybe it's former/Current GSM users who value this feature more then CDMA users. I never cared or used wifi on a phone until I purchased the first generation iPhone and how painful EDGE was when I was at home or work where signal was crappy at best.

dhendriksen
09-18-2008, 09:17 AM
For the times you visit your parents, who live out in the middle of no where, and the signal is weak at best. So at that moment, yes, you would need WiFi

With VZW, rural is no problem. I understand your pain with AT&T. I had T-Mobile for years for personal use, and an AT&T phone for business use. My company changed the way that is handled and I converged the two devices with one Verizon phone. This thing works EVERYWHERE! It is absolutely mind boggling how good the coverage on this thing is. I use about 3,500 minutes per month, and have never lost a call!

complexx
09-18-2008, 09:18 AM

Probably because they have been using EDGE. Fact if the matter is that Verizon customers for the most part don't need WiFi because we have good 3G service for our phones. It's still not as fast as WiFi but it is certainly fast enough to get things done.

The topic of WiFi in this thread is laughable because its not even Verizon users that are asking for it... It's all those ATT/TMO people that think they will just buy the phone and use it on their network...

akosnitzky
09-20-2008, 02:07 PM
How will browser compare with Iphone?

gecko215
09-20-2008, 02:50 PM
This is the only official info I can find:
BlackBerry Storm (http://estore.vzwshop.com/storm/)

tobenning
09-20-2008, 09:57 PM
How will browser compare with Iphone?

I wouldn't get too jacked over the browser. It will not be as good as the iPhone, but it is good enough for checking sites quickly. You should be able to use Opera Mini if you don't like the default browser.

BBSwany
09-22-2008, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't get too jacked over the browser. It will not be as good as the iPhone, but it is good enough for checking sites quickly. You should be able to use Opera Mini if you don't like the default browser.

(y) Agreed. The browser on the iPhone is light years ahead of anyone else.

TheBigNewt
09-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Will it have true GPS, or the usual VZN Navigator cell tower wannabe? I'm actually halfway interested in this thing and a swore off VZN a couple years ago. If it could come in at $200 like the iPhone and with a contract at about $80/month I may check it out.

SVT Amateur
09-22-2008, 09:59 PM
^^ It will have true GPS if you pay Verizon the $15/mo or so that they want for it.

Triforce66
09-23-2008, 07:31 AM
Will it have true GPS, or the usual VZN Navigator cell tower wannabe? I'm actually halfway interested in this thing and a swore off VZN a couple years ago. If it could come in at $200 like the iPhone and with a contract at about $80/month I may check it out.

I am also debating this too. If they cripple/disable the on device GPS on the device (like the 8830, forcing users to use VZN), and no wifi the iphone is looking better to me. At least from what I see they are allowing MMS so it is a step in the right direction.

someonexh
09-23-2008, 07:34 AM
I am also debating this too. If they cripple/disable the on device GPS on the device (like the 8830, forcing users to use VZN), and no wifi the iphone is looking better to me. At least from what I see they are allowing MMS so it is a step in the right direction.

.. we all know they will disable the GPS.

Jimmyk001
09-23-2008, 08:38 AM
"Full HTML Browsing"

....does this mean I can finally read my HTML emails in something other than a text format?

dwp1975
09-23-2008, 09:03 AM
"Full HTML Browsing"

....does this mean I can finally read my HTML emails in something other than a text format?

I believe that just refers to the Blackberry Browser. But I am sure HTML email will be included since HTML email isn built into OS 4.5 and I think the Storm is being shipped with OS 4.6 (y)

akosnitzky
09-23-2008, 10:39 AM

On the final specs, it read the following:

Browser: Every feature the IPhone safari webkit has, minus support for tabs. No flash support.

adjuster11
09-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Anybody know what kind of memory card, SD or something else? I could use that camera feature, as long as I have a good sized card to hold it all.

TexasSOT
09-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Hew specs and 360 pics!!!!

9500 topic's on page 8 at Crackberry.com under

"READ THIS FIRST --Things We Know about the Storm/Thunder "

BBSwany
09-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Anybody know what kind of memory card, SD or something else? I could use that camera feature, as long as I have a good sized card to hold it all.

MicroSD will be the card of choice. 8GB is the biggest you can go (that's the largest they have right now) but support up to 32GB.

adjuster11
09-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks BBSWANY

8 GB will hold all I need. I usually dial down the megapixels to around 1.2, or even 640K will show what I need. That would hold plenty of photos since I'm not loading movies, or songs.

I hope the camera is as good as my daughter's Verizon Venus, known as the verizon penis, in our household. Her camera is the first camera phone I've seen, that's worth a darn, all the rest I've seen are 2 steps below legible, and forget any dark scenes, birthday candle shots, etc, they just don't have the shutter speed to capture anything other than bright sunlight on trees.

StormReviews
09-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Great new pictures of the Blackberry Storm BlackBerry Storm Images - Exclusive Screen Shots! | BlackBerry Storm Mobile Phone Reviews (http://www.storm-reviews.co.uk/blackberry-storm-news/exclusive-blackberry-storm-screen-shots/)

Jagga
10-11-2008, 10:47 PM
MicroSD will be the card of choice. 8GB is the biggest you can go (that's the largest they have right now) but support up to 32GB.

Sandisk 16GB is already available in limited quantities in Europe. Sandisk made official announcement sales to begin just under 30days ago.

TroyDBrown
10-11-2008, 10:49 PM
It should support the 16GB

BBSwany
10-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Sandisk 16GB is already available in limited quantities in Europe. Sandisk made official announcement sales to begin just under 30days ago.

Thanks for the updated info. I'm waiting for the price to come down before I make the leap. 8GB was the max at the time the question was asked.

It should support the 16GB

From what I have heard, the Vodafone Storm will be bundled with a 16GB MicroSD.

adjuster11
10-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Well, if it isn't rolling out soon, I'll be surprised. We had full page Storm ad's in yesterdays Denver Post, 10/13, and television ad's for the Storm on NBC, Channel 9. I'd be surprised if they can keep up an ad campaign longer than 2-3 weeks, before they roll it out. Might be closer than we think if they spend the usual 1-2 weeks of ad time pumping it up. Looks like they're trying to create Ipod like buzz.