PDA

View Full Version : Saving Apps to media card

Andyn
09-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Can I save 3rd party apps to my media card? Sometimes I get the "insufficient space" notice and have to pick and choose which existing apps are most important, when downloading a new app. Thanks!:x

John Clark
09-15-2008, 06:27 PM
No, you can't install apps to the SD card. If you are having memory issues you will lose your emails, call logs and text messages. Use the Optimize your BB's Memory thread in my signature.

Andyn
09-15-2008, 06:28 PM
OK, thanks!!

jknutson1978
10-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Can I save 3rd party apps to my media card? Sometimes I get the "insufficient space" notice and have to pick and choose which existing apps are most important, when downloading a new app. Thanks!:x

Yes you can, goto this link:
aerize.com/blackberry/software/loader/

It does cost $20 for the program, but if it works it is worth it.

John Clark
10-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

Those apps only allow you to save the install files on the card. The app still only installs to device memory.

coreyoli
10-04-2008, 06:04 PM
This is the one downfall that is sending back to Windows Mobile, I think...

John Clark
10-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

Why? While it would be nice to run apps off the card, I have lots of apps and just manage my memory accordingly. I wouldn't use this as a reason to not get a BB.

djm2
10-04-2008, 07:03 PM
John, I agree with you and that is what I do. What it requires, however, is discipline regarding what you want and what you value, and unfortunately that is not everyone's cup of tea. I want it all!!! Does that sound familiar?

zimp
10-15-2008, 07:09 AM
i cant install the apps in the mini sd card

Klotar
10-15-2008, 02:47 PM
There is a "poor man's" way of doing what Aerize does, which is installing apps from the SD card:

First, you use the freeware program OTA Loader, which allows you to take an OTA link/url and download the .jad and all associated .cod files.

Next, you copy those files over to a subdirectory of the Blackberry directory on your SD card, using Windows Explorer while hooked up to the PC in Mass Storage Mode.

Next, you open up the Media application on your BB (after disconnecting from the PC), and click Menu, Explore. Navigate to the subdirectory you created under the Blackberry directory on the SD card, then find the .jad file. Click on that and you will see the OTA install screen.

Presto, it installs the application from your SD card. When you are finished with the program or need the memory back, delete it... since you can always reinstall from the SD card again.

While this sounds like work compared to using .alx files with Desktop Manager, there are some advantages to doing it this way, even over DM. Sometimes ONLY OTA installs are available, so this method converts it to non-OTA and allows you to back up those apps. You can reinstall apps/themes without DM or even without a PC if you store them on your SDcard. You don't even need to be in a coverage area, have a data plan or even a SIM card.

Klotar
10-15-2008, 03:04 PM
The free OTA downloader can be found here Blackberry OTA downloader | download free OTA themes to your desktop (http://www.blackberrysoftwarelist.net/blackberry-OTA-Downloader.aspx)

Also, it's great for using on work PC's that are locked down by IT Policies, because it's not a program that is installed, it's an executable that is just run; create a shortcut and go.