PDA

View Full Version : Limit SMS messaging

flares2
09-17-2008, 02:41 PM
I want to limit the amount of SMS messages that can be sent/received within a given time period. For example, if an end user has 500 SMS messages through our Wireless provider, can I set up a policy in BES that will give a warning message when the user nears 500 and then blocks messaging entirely at that limit? That way we don't get overage charges on our wireless bill.
My suggestion to the boss was disable SMS all together and save a bunch of money. It's a Blackberry, why SMS when you can email? Needless to say, that idea didn't make it very far. So, any ideas?

juwaack68
09-17-2008, 02:44 PM
That would be an awesome idea - if it worked. There is no way to limit or flag the user.

You *could* institute a policy and tell the users that if they go over the 500 limit, they have to repay the company.

You could also try showing your manager the SMS logs from the BES. Once they see that 97% of them are not work related, they may change their tune.

CO_BBTechie
09-17-2008, 04:02 PM
You could also try showing your manager the SMS logs from the BES. Once they see that 97% of them are not work related, they may change their tune.

Oooooh I wanna do that! But I fear the boss may blow a gasket and want to see the logs all the time. I don't need another Monday morning report to file. I'd even go so far as to say it's more likely that 98% of the SMS messages in my logs are of a personal nature.

I've had people try to justify their texts by telling me that Yahoo Instant Messenger (which is allowed here for business purposes) uses texts to converse. Uh huh... sure it does... OK.. I'll bite. You can have a text plan.... but know that everything you are sending and receiving is logged..... [long pause] Are you still there? Ah... ya... ahhh.... lemme get back to you on this. ;-)

barbwyr
09-17-2008, 05:03 PM
I've had people try to justify their texts by telling me that Yahoo Instant Messenger (which is allowed here for business purposes) uses texts to converse. Uh huh... sure it does... OK.. I'll bite.

Actually... Yahoo IM through OZ does use SMS text to send and recieve messages. It uses Data to log into the server then SMS for the conversation. Not that this makes it okay to use a business device for personal use. Personally I say if overage is an issue, shut it down all together.

CO_BBTechie
09-17-2008, 05:19 PM
But YIM does not use text on AT&T or Verizon, which are the only two carriers we use. Actually, had I not been an avid member on this forum, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. But now I'm BBF savy! ;-)

In either case, the SMS logs do not show business related conversations, unless you count "we're headed to happy hour, meet us there." as a potential new client meeting.

barbwyr
09-17-2008, 05:45 PM
But YIM does not use text on AT&T or Verizon, which are the only two carriers we use. Actually, had I not been an avid member on this forum, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. But now I'm BBF savy! ;-)

In either case, the SMS logs do not show business related conversations, unless you count "we're headed to happy hour, meet us there." as a potential new client meeting.

If using the actual YIM app I guess you would be correct. But if you are using OZ as they recommend via Media Net Browser with ATT you do use SMS. I don't have a data plan so I use OZ YIM to chat since it uses SMS not Data...that way my Pay Per Use is only the connection amount.

As for the happy hour message...well since many business owners write those off as business meetings then I guess they would be work related...lol.