PDA

View Full Version : Activation for Receiving Exchange Emails!!! (BES Express)

BodleyTunes
09-18-2008, 06:24 AM
Hi there,

I'm trying to activate a Blackberry 8200 so that it will receive email from exchange.

I have installed BES Express server on the mail server.

I have connected the phone to our Wi-Fi Wireless network, in order to activate over the internet.

I cannot see the WLAN OTA Activation step in the setup at all??? So I cannot configure this?. Does the express version not include this ability to activate over wireless?

Then I put in our Vodafone sim in the phone and try and activate in the normal way and just get...

"Acquiring service connection..."

Then pauses for around twenty seconds, and then get

"Activation request failed. A service connection is unavailable"

GPRS seems to be connected and so is WI-FI.

Also we have port 3103 open and forwarded to BES.

The permission on the server are all setup, and i generated an activation key for the user, which was put into the activation field.

I haven't a clue what to do next! :x

Can anybody help me?

Best regards, 8-)

Jon.

skyman84
09-18-2008, 07:17 AM
Couple of basic things first, GPRS is in capitals on the phone? also, which data plan have you signed up for on Vodafone? they have 2, one for BIS and one for BES.
I've not tried activating over Wi-Fi myself, so I'd suggest sticking to activating over the carrier network.

BodleyTunes
09-18-2008, 08:50 AM
Couple of basic things first, GPRS is in capitals on the phone? also, which data plan have you signed up for on Vodafone? they have 2, one for BIS and one for BES.
I've not tried activating over Wi-Fi myself, so I'd suggest sticking to activating over the carrier network.

It seems to be in lower case "gprs"

I also have the wifi logo as its connected to our network.

I have no option for wifi activation though.

As far as I know we have the BES data plan?

Thanks,

Jonathan.

BodleyTunes
09-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Also I really could do with activating over the WiFi because i do not always have the sim card to hand, as its normally in a Rep's HTC phone and is in use so I only get it about once every two weeks!!

This slows the whole thing down!

Also anyone know a quick and easy way to export contacts from the HTC phone into the blackberry?

The HTC is windows mobile and wants to use activesync to sycronize with outlook. Could I use this to my advantage and import from outlook into the Blackberry?

Cheers,

Jonathan.

skyman84
09-18-2008, 09:59 AM
You've got a few things on here:

Right, number one, if you've only got lover case GPRS, then you don't have a BlackBerry data package from Vodafone, probably only a standard data package as the currnt phone if an HTC, if you want to use this device properly, you'll need to call them to get it upgraded.

Wifi activation (I'm pretty sure but could be wrong) is only available on the full BES, but it might be worth looking into further, there is this thread that may tell you more http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-admin-corner/100255-wifi-enterprise-activation.html

I think the best way forward is if you activate it via USB for the moment, and get your data package upgraded.

As for syncing with outlook, is this the mailbox that you're going to have the BlackBerry activated against? if so, everything on the exchange server, connected with that mailbox should come across.

BodleyTunes
09-18-2008, 10:05 AM
I think the old HTC does get email but not sure if the contacts are "outlook" type contacts or just phone contacts? And yes the old HTC phone's mailbox will be the one that is to be used with the new Blackberry.

Thanks, (y)

Jonathan.

skyman84
09-18-2008, 10:09 AM
should be easy then, just use activesync to copy all your contacts/mails/calander/todo lists etc over to out look, then activate away!!

good luck - and welcome to the forum!

BodleyTunes
09-18-2008, 10:46 AM