PDA

View Full Version : How can I get the myFaves app back on my Blackberry?

adorkable
09-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Back some time ago, I optimized my Blackberry Curve for maximum memory, and in doing so, I removed the T-Mobile myFaves application. My husband is deployed, so I put a military suspension on his phone and switched from the family time basic plan to the individual myFaves plan. I'll be saving $30 a month, but I can't figure out how to get the myFaves application back on my phone.

The T-Mobile representative told me that the bubbles would pop up on the main screen on their own, and when I explained why they wouldn't, she didn't know how to help me. The kicker is the fact that the only PC I own is the one my husband took on deployment with him.

Does anyone know how I can get the myFaves application back on my phone using a Mac? Is it even possible?

I have been able to install apps that don't have OTA options (http://www.blackberryforums.com/mac-users-corner/130440-how-install-applications-don-t-have-over-air-option.html) before, so I'm wondering if I could use the same method to install myFaves. If so, where would I download just the myFaves app?

Thanks a bunch, guys! :)

jsconyers
09-18-2008, 12:13 PM
If you followed the steps in John Clark's optimization guide, you should still have your removed module folder. Move the myfaves files back in place.

you may need to reinstall your OS. I never have used the myfaves app so I am not sure about this. I am sure someone will chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

CO_BBTechie
09-18-2008, 12:15 PM
If you followed the steps in John Clark's optimization guide, you should still have your removed module folder. Move the myfaves files back in place.

you may need to reinstall your OS. I never have used the myfaves app so I am not sure about this. I am sure someone will chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

Read closer, the PC that has the removed modules in not in the OP's possession.

jsconyers
09-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Good catch.

In that case the OP will need to download a an OS for her device and Desktop Manager.

Here's the OS for the 8320.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8300-series-discussion-curve/146371-latest-os-8320-4-5-0-81-4-5-0-55-english-east-asian-languages.html

Following the steps in that link will reinstall you OS with the MyFaves app.

You can still run JC's optimization, just be sure to leave the MyFaves modules there.

adorkable
09-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Read closer, the PC that has the removed modules in not in the OP's possession.
Reading comprehension skills FTW! ;)

CO_BBTechie
09-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Good catch.

In that case the OP will need to download a an OS for her device and Desktop Manager.

Here's the OS for the 8320.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8300-series-discussion-curve/146371-latest-os-8320-4-5-0-81-4-5-0-55-english-east-asian-languages.html

Following the steps in that link will reinstall you OS with the MyFaves app.

You can still run JC's optimization, just be sure to leave the MyFaves modules there.

Hate to do it again... but the OP has a Mac ;-)

adorkable
09-18-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm downloading the OS now, and I'm gong to sift through all the files and see if it will be at all possible to locate and install the myFaves separate. I'm guessing no, but it's worth a shot.

jsconyers, you did happen to overlook two key aspects of the problem, but I still really appreciate your attempt to help. It's nice getting quick replies. :)

CO_BBTechie
09-18-2008, 12:34 PM
I would have suggested an alternative, but I'm not aware of a program for the Mac that will facilitate an OS update, as DM doesn't yet run on the Mac.

mobile_pheen
09-18-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm downloading the OS now, and I'm gong to sift through all the files and see if it will be at all possible to locate and install the myFaves separate. I'm guessing no, but it's worth a shot.

jsconyers, you did happen to overlook two key aspects of the problem, but I still really appreciate your attempt to help. It's nice getting quick replies. :)when u reinstall the OS, those modules are automatically re-added

its advisable that u install, find the TMo_xxx__xxx modules, cut them, oast them in another folder, uninstall the recently installed OS.. paste the modules into ur current OS directory.. VOILA..

hope that helps/works.

if u reinstall the OS, and run BDM- you'll have to re-oprimize ur device afterwards

adorkable
09-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Yeah, that's why I'm hoping I can somehow do it without a full OS upgrade.

If needed, I can always go to a friend's house and borrow their computer, but I'd rather avoid that if possible.

rambo47
09-18-2008, 12:39 PM
What happens if you use your Mac to log into the T-Mobile BIS page and resend your service books? I think a re-install of the OS will probably be needed, but the service books are worth a try before finding a pc and downloading/installing everything.

CO_BBTechie
09-18-2008, 12:42 PM
when u reinstall the OS, those modules are automatically re-added

its advisable that u install, find the TMo_xxx__xxx modules, cut them, oast them in another folder, uninstall the recently installed OS.. paste the modules into ur current OS directory.. VOILA..

hope that helps/works.

if u reinstall the OS, and run BDM- you'll have to re-oprimize ur device afterwards

READ the OP's post people. You cannot run DM on a Mac :-o

CO_BBTechie
09-18-2008, 12:44 PM
What happens if you use your Mac to log into the T-Mobile BIS page and resend your service books? I think a re-install of the OS will probably be needed, but the service books are worth a try before finding a pc and downloading/installing everything.

Fav's is not controlled by SB's. They are provided via .cod files.

adorkable
09-18-2008, 12:45 PM

I'm going to give that a try, but I don't think it will help.

Downloading the OS was a complete waste of time because I can't even open the file on a Mac. It's looking more and more like a PC is the only way.

CO_BBTechie
09-18-2008, 12:46 PM
I believe that to be the case. I've heard of hardcore Mac users keeping an old XP laptop around just for this purpose.

mobile_pheen
09-18-2008, 12:48 PM
READ the OP's post people. You cannot run DM on a Mac :-o
yea but how else is she going to access the modules via Mac? she obviously needs a PC to do anything to fix the issue.. ..

capiche? lol

CO_BBTechie
09-18-2008, 12:50 PM
yea but how else is she going to access the modules via Mac? she obviously needs a PC to do anything to fix the issue.. ..

capiche? lol

The question was; What can I do without a PC. I think she's now realizing that she needs one. But to simply ignore the limitation suggests you're not addressing the initial question is all....

adorkable
09-18-2008, 12:55 PM
The question was; What can I do without a PC. I think she's now realizing that she needs one. But to simply ignore the limitation suggests you're not addressing the initial question is all....(y)

At least I can set up the five contacts on T-Mobile's website. The application is really just for convenience. However, T-Mobile's website is being lame and won't load the myFaves page for me. How irritating. :?

mobile_pheen
09-18-2008, 01:00 PM
The question was; What can I do without a PC. I think she's now realizing that she needs one. But to simply ignore the limitation suggests you're not addressing the initial question is all....
some people work so hard to earn brownie points..(n)

adorkable
09-18-2008, 01:06 PM
I wouldn't say that. CO_BBTechie made an excellent point. If I had a PC available, I wouldn't be posting to these forums for help at all. I know exactly how to get the myFaves application back on my phone via PC. The main question I asked was, "does anyone know how I can get the myFaves application back on my phone using a Mac?"

CO_BBTechie
09-18-2008, 02:26 PM
some people work so hard to earn brownie points..(n)

Pffft! Ridiculous.

coldconfession13
09-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Wirelessly posted

What if you had bootcamp on a mac could you run windows on a mac and do it that way? But just go to a person with a pc and do it that way

CO_BBTechie
09-18-2008, 04:16 PM
To my knowledge, there is no substitute for Desktop Manager for OS upgrades.

adorkable
09-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Went to a friend's house and used their PC. I had a feeling that was my only option, but thank you everyone for your suggestions. :)

terahble
01-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Just to add to this thread... I had upgraded my OS to 4.5 and lost the MyFaves app. I was browsing the TMobile site and went to the manage MyFaves section. I found an area to resend the MyFaves app to my BB. It says to allow up to two hours so we shall see if it works!

This would work on either Mac or PC as it is on the website and gets sent to the phone.

rambo47
01-11-2009, 04:45 PM
I'm one of those Mac users that keeps an old ThinkPad around just for phone stuff. VMware and Parallels should work on a Mac, but it's just easier to pick up an older pc. And the cost of a pc vs. WMware and an XP license is pretty close. Also, when I'm done using the pc I can dump it into a drawer and not look at it. :)