PDA

View Full Version : Logging On To Websites On Blackberry

clientcritic
09-18-2008, 04:57 PM
If I wanted to log on to a website that I have an user account with, can I have the same abilities to enter information into that site or am I limited because I am on a Blackberry?

rachamphetamine
09-18-2008, 05:01 PM
What kind of website?

Generally, most sites work just fine and are not limited because of being on a Blackberry (or so that's been my experience). You may need to enable Javascript for some of them.

clientcritic
09-18-2008, 05:04 PM
It seems like I heard that before, but I am not sure how to do that...

Do you know how?

Shaun
09-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Please see my reply in your other thread:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/media-center/150814-wifi-access.html

Websites generally do not behave in the same way they do on your Desktop browser. Javascript is a small part of what is handled differently. You will have to go site by site to see which work well enough for you and which do not.

clientcritic
09-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Is this the way I should reply to people, with quick reply? Not much into blogging yet.. :)

Dubdub
09-18-2008, 08:09 PM
It might be if you are on BES.

Mark PPG
09-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Wirelessly posted

I've had issues with some sites that have both a normal and browser website.
The mobile one didn't ever seem to remember my information. I got around this by switching my Blackberry browser to IE, it then let me input my info and the remember my info checkbox was there. After the cookie was set, I switched it back to Blackberry browser mode and I don't have to login anymore :-) it just remembers!

daphne
09-18-2008, 09:27 PM
I keep my BlackBerry browser set to IE emulation mode. Most everything seems to work with that, except of course there are some sites that won't work in the BB browser no matter what.

zerog46
09-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Wirelessly posted (BB 8330)

What's the benefit to IE emulation.

daphne
09-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Most websites are designed to work well with IE because it's the most used browser. So more sites seem to work in the BB in IE emulation mode. At least that's been my experience. I haven't tried Opera Mini.. keep forgetting to do that.

Edit... when you visit a website on your PC or on your BB, the browser sends information to the site, which sometimes affects how the content is returned to you via the browser. It's called User Agent...

User agent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_agent)

Partial quote:
At various points in its history, use of the Web has been dominated by one browser to the extent that many websites are designed to work only with that particular browser,

Also:
User agent sniffing
The term user agent sniffing refers to the practice of websites showing different content when viewed with a certain user agent. On the Internet, this will result in a different site being shown when browsing the page with a specific browser (e.g. Microsoft Internet Explorer). An infamous example of this is Microsoft's Outlook 2003 Web Access. When viewed with IE, much more functionality is displayed compared to the same page in any other browser. User agent sniffing is mostly considered poor practice for Web 2.0 web sites, since it encourages browser specific design. Many webmasters are recommended to create an HTML markup that is as standardised as possible, to allow correct rendering in as many browsers as possible

zerog46
09-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Ya I just changed it and when I went to Engadget it satyed on the regular site and when I changed it back to BB in directed me to the mobile site.

daphne
09-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Hmm... when I go to engadget with emulation set to IE, it goes to the mobile site.

zerog46
09-18-2008, 10:56 PM
I had it bookmarked as engadgetmobile.com Just checked again in IE regular site, BB mobile site. And I'm no one for the regular site I like the mobile sites, fast and easy to read.

daphne
09-18-2008, 11:15 PM
engadgetmobile.com goes to the mobile site for me using IE emulation.

zerog46
09-18-2008, 11:29 PM
That's weird, I have tried it several times and does the same thing. I just typed it in for both a it did the same thing. I wonder if it's the 4.5 OS.

daphne
09-18-2008, 11:42 PM
That could be it.

zerog46
09-18-2008, 11:45 PM
I tried it with some other sites and it's only this one.