PDA

View Full Version : Secure chat method

jmj1
09-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Hey guys, I've got a question. I wanted to know some methods of secure communication with others...

I've got a 8820 from work that is on a corporate BES Server. We are not allowed to use SMS texting. I was told that PIN-2-PIN messages can be audited on the BES Server...including BB Messenger.

So, what other options do I have to communicate with my friends that the company cannot find about?

Yahoo messenger? What about sending emails from att.blackberry.net account? Just don't want corporate to be able to get access to my communications. Any help is greatly appreciated.

penguin3107
09-19-2008, 12:54 PM
So, what other options do I have to communicate with my friends that the company cannot find about?

Get your own BlackBerry, and don't activate it on your company BES.
You likely won't get very much help trying to circumvent your company policies here.

RogersBTSC
09-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Get your own BlackBerry, and don't activate it on it your company BES.
You likely won't get very much help trying to circumvent your company policies here.

Agreed, they have you on the BES to prevent you from doing such non business related activities. Get your own BB not on BES and problem solved@<hidden>

I talk to lots of customers who have two BB's because of being on a BES

jmj1
09-19-2008, 05:36 PM
I don't get it...all I wanted to know is what method is more secure to communicate...you make it seem like I'm selling crack on the side

BB Jim
09-19-2008, 05:52 PM
You may not be "selling crack", but it was in the way you asked the question.

"So, what other options do I have to communicate with my friends that the company cannot find about?"

This hits along the same lines as another thread going on right now. It might be easier (not necessarily cheaper) to get a personal line that is not associated with work and use that to chat with friends. Companies don't need much to get rid of you these days and this might just be giving them the reason they need.

penguin3107
09-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Breaking Ball)

I don't get it...all I wanted to know is what method is more secure to communicate...you make it seem like I'm selling crack on the side

Grow up.

TroyDBrown
09-19-2008, 06:02 PM
If you don't want them to have access you need to not use your company phone. All data goes through the corporate server. You do have one option and that is only if they will allow you to install third party applications and that would be to use email with PGP. This will not mask who you are talking to but will mask the content. The big draw back with any secure messaging solution is that all parties must be running the software.

kjjb0204
09-19-2008, 07:16 PM

How about old style communication - use the phone.

TroyDBrown
09-19-2008, 07:20 PM
^^^ The NSA is on to that watch out!

djm2
09-19-2008, 07:45 PM
When you are at work are you supposed to be working or talking to your friends? Do your job with corporate equipment; live your life with personal equipment.

ackers
10-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Wirelessly posted (Breaking Ball)

Grow up.

It's a pity we can't rate post's because this reply captures what most people will be thinking.