PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the right phone.

misterdanny
09-21-2008, 10:01 PM
I currently have a treo 680, I have had it for the past 2 years. I bought it for work reasons (needing constant access to my email), however I no longer need the constant access to my email (so I closed my data connect plan, $40/month is a steep price to pay for something you never use)

The problem is I got a new laptop, and you can't get new laptops with XP on them (has to be vista now, arg). And of course palm doesnt support software for vista 64 bit (I can sync my phone using some crazy work around method, but its a big pain in the ass, so I never do it anymore).

I think I am looking to get a blackberry next (In feburary I am renewing my contract with at&t, so i'd be getting my new phone then). T

he stuff I am looking to do is to sync with my mozilla thunderbird calendar (the lightning plugin), and have wifi built in to use it on my wireless network. (I still am not planning to purchase the data connect plan again). Seeing that some of the blackberrries have built in GPS hardware, I'm thinking I might go for one that has wifi and gps. However if you need a data connect plan for the GPS to work, I'm not going to narrow down my phone selection to one with GPS. (Preferabbly I'd like to preload the maps at home instead of downloading them on the fly)

If I can do the GPS without a dataconnect plan, I think I am choosing between the 8820 and the 9000. However if there is no way to use the GPS without a dataconnect plan, I might consider the curve (8320) instead as it seems to have a slimmer form factor.

Assuming the GPS works, and I am choosing between the 8820 and 9000, are there any real differences between these phones? To me to looks like the 9000 is just meant to be the same as the 8000 series phones but they tried to "vamp" up the interface to compete with the iphone. (I know the 9000 isnt released yet, but from what I've read; it will be before february).

any advice would be appreciated, as I've never had or used a blackberry before.

raja_3012
09-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Given your considerations and the timing of your buy, I think it would be better to get the 9000 or The Bold. Software required to use the GPS hardware built in the phone will surely require a data plan. Bold is a 3G phone with a faster processor and expected to work like a charm.

I am not sure whether pre-loading maps using a WiFi connection is possible. Generally mapping software would determine the route at the start and would require a data plan for it. AmazeGPS is a good example for the same.

At the end of the day, what matters is your actual requirement? If you need a smart phone which can give email, web at a reasonable speed, NO sync up issues and substantial multimedia features then Curve is a good bet. BUT if you are a gizmo freak and you require all the features available in a phone even if you do not require them then Bold is a good one.

If I were you, I would buy the latest phone in BlackBerry suite, of course every new device with it's own share of problems.

JSanders
09-21-2008, 10:37 PM
The BB Desktop Manager won't sync with Thunderbird.

misterdanny
09-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Oh, I already knew BB doesn't natively support thunderbird, but I found solutions on google that work by using a blackberry applcation called GCalSync and a thunderbird plugin to sync your calendar to gmail. which sounds like something I can just set up and forget about; so I don't have a problem with doing that.

I was hoping there was a blackberry application in that would work with predownloaded maps. My treo has an application that does that. If it's simply not an option; it's not a big deal. But I figured if I'm buying a new phone might as well go for the extra fancy stuff.

If I could use the GPS without a data connect plan; I may consider the 9000; but I really don't use my phone for a lot of gadgety stuff. I was really satisfied with my plain and basic phone I had before; just I've had my treo so long I don't think I can just stop having a smart phone.

I work self employed; do a lot of server administration stuff. The reason I've needed a smartphone before was during critical times of the year when a client needs me to basically hold their hand; during those times I would purchase the dataconnect plan. But outside of work; I don't do any web based things on my phone; it's just too unpleasant of an experience; so I don't want to shell out 40/month on it (thats more than I pay for my regular cable internet!). I really just find it useful for having a more indepth contact list than regular cell phones, and for a day organizer / take notes on it.

I'm thinking right now I am learning towards the blackberry curve 8320 since it has the smallest form factor and does everything I need; and the better it fits into my pocket the better.

Ricky-Ray
09-22-2008, 02:36 AM
Just get the data service and you wouldn't have to worry about any of this. You can write it off on your taxes since your self employed.

Just my 2 cents.

JSanders
09-22-2008, 06:28 AM
there are two apps that work with downloaded maps.

Look at my list in the GPS section Sticky Notes, "All Known GPS Applications."

misterdanny
09-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Just get the data service and you wouldn't have to worry about any of this. You can write it off on your taxes since your self employed.

I could do that, or I could spend 500/year on something for my business that will help it grow, rather than a useless expense. I may use the dataconnect plan like a month out of the year; and otherwise never use it. I'd much rather pay for the dataconnect plan for that month than the whole year.

I really don't need the GPS thing either (rather it's just for fun); just I figure if I'm going to be buying a new phone that could have built in GPS; I might go for the model with the GPS.

there are two apps that work with downloaded maps.

Look at my list in the GPS section Sticky Notes, "All Known GPS Applications."

Thanks for the info; I think I might be going with the 9000 (despite it seems to be the 8820+new interface) just for the sake of getting the newest available model. I've got time to think about it though.