PDA

View Full Version : bypass It policy

barbaro
09-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Hi, I know that there is a big thread for this, but it is so long that I wonder if someone will answer if I post there. If here is the wrong place, I will go there. Thx anyway!

- I work for mutinacional company, strict rules
- I have to set up my password every 20min, cannot change to longer, and cannot download maps, apps, etc...
- so I am the usual guy who received a BB from the company and wants to have google maps, other intersting stuff, etc.
- I will continue to work here hopefully later on, usually I don't connect to my laptop/desktop manager, I only recharge at home in the energy outlet
- I know very much all the problems, and ethics issues and the risk of being fired. I may be willling to take risks just to download some stuff and forget about passwords all the time (please don't be rude on that, just asking)

I read the receipt (policy.bin, etc...), but I have lots of questions:

- I have a pearl 8100, don't know how to see OS, etc.
- how do I know if my desktop manager program is BES or BIS (it was installed by my company IT). if I unistall, which one should I install later on (Windows XP)
- I have firewall on laptop, normal one I guess
- if I wipe everything from BB (after I backed-up all) would I loose what? All e-mails/address book/calendar? Or also I will loose all the configurations to continue to receive e-mails/invitations from my companies address? I will not surely be able to set up, all POP/SMTP, whatever the BB have, I will not be able alone to set up the BB again to receive emails!
- what does people mean when by the time I connect to BES I will loose everything? Connect by calbe? Or wireless?

Of course my idea is: to somehow bypass my IT policy, download a few stuff, and go back to "business as usual". Is it possible?

I know the risks, I will considere them later on, after these answers.

Thx a lot for all help

penguin3107
09-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Of course my idea is: to somehow bypass my IT policy, download a few stuff, and go back to "business as usual". Is it possible?

Nope.

My advice to you is to find another forum to discuss this any further. You won't get any help here with trying to circumvent your IT Policy.

juwaack68
09-24-2008, 11:32 AM
I love these threads.

You cannot bypass the IT Policy. You could remove the IT Policy on the device, but as soon as your device connects to the company server again, the IT Policy will be pushed back to the device.

If you want to be able to do your own thing, get your own device and don't connect it to the company server.

juwaack68
09-24-2008, 11:35 AM
- I have a pearl 8100, don't know how to see OS, etc.
Click on Options -> About to find the OS version.

- how do I know if my desktop manager program is BES or BIS (it was installed by my company IT). if I unistall, which one should I install later on (Windows XP)
It's BES. If you uninstall and reinstall it incorrectly, you'll mess up your device and the IT department will know.

- I have firewall on laptop, normal one I guess
Uh, ok.

- if I wipe everything from BB (after I backed-up all) would I loose what? All e-mails/address book/calendar? Or also I will loose all the configurations to continue to receive e-mails/invitations from my companies address? I will not surely be able to set up, all POP/SMTP, whatever the BB have, I will not be able alone to set up the BB again to receive emails!
You will lose all data and all connection to your email.

- what does people mean when by the time I connect to BES I will loose everything? Connect by calbe? Or wireless?
See my answer in the post above

StarKnight83
09-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Wirelessly posted

Or you could just ask the admin to see if he'll allow you to load any of the software

CO_BBTechie
09-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Your IT department will know exactly when your device stopped communicating with the BES, which would be the time that you made the decision to wipe it. That breaks your BES connection and the only way to get it back is to re-enterprise activate. Depending on their software policies, your device may well render useless, any software you chose to install during the period of time you were off the BES. Additionally, they will probably want to know what you did to cause your device to drop off like that. So think about the risks you'd be taking, and the uncertainty of any potential rewards.

kjjb0204
09-24-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm certainly not going to help you circumvent your IT policy, but if you do, report back. Curious to know how that works out for you.

RogersBTSC
09-24-2008, 03:58 PM
IT Policies are set in place to make sure you do your job.

barbaro
09-25-2008, 05:56 AM
Thanks for all answers, besides the ones that tried to patronize me (I only wanted a straight tech answer).

I only wanted to have google maps, and some other small stuff. I guess my company is too strict, ven in lots of others stuff.

Thanks anyway.

Ps.: I got to a conclusion that wil not work out (at least in the way I wanted, download and get back to business as usual). I will not do (unless a new crack comes up).

juwaack68
09-25-2008, 06:01 AM
IT Policies are set in place to make sure you do your job.

I disagree with that. They are put in place to protect the company in some way. Whether it be for security, or to avoid having to support users' mistakes.

takeshi
09-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Hi, I know that there is a big thread for this, but it is so long that I wonder if someone will answer if I post there.
I don't really understand why the IT policy threads end up being so long but they always boil down to this answer:
If you want to be able to do your own thing, get your own device and don't connect it to the company server.

Fletchi18
09-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Being a BES admin myself, our policies are definitely in place to protect, in my case, the firm, it's clients, etc. They're not there to annoy you in the case of a 20 minute password lock window. Or frustrate you, in the case of closing the device to additional apps. They're there for what they were designed for: security. And that is what the BB is all about.

If you want a device that you can screw around on, buy your own. Don't make your Computer Support's life more difficult by either going against their policies, or doing things to your device that you know you shouldn't.

Frank Castle
09-25-2008, 08:04 PM
BES admin here to and most of the obvious reason have already been explained. If the IT policy was so easily "removed" or circumvented RIM would be in the same boat as Apple and be viewed as a not so secure mobile device.

Seeing you don't seem to know your companies BES admin / team start with your help desk and ask if your BES has any software configurations. I have 20 or so of the more useful business slanted ones packaged and push as requested. I would think you could write up a business justification on how Google Maps would be beneficial / allow you to work more efficiently.

Good Luck.