PDA

View Full Version : OS: 8820 4.5.0.108 / 4.5.0.81 (English + East Asian Languages)

penpower
09-25-2008, 01:27 AM
Software For BlackBerry® 8820 smartphone

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.108 (EastAsia)

Package Version: 4.5.0.108
Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.5.0.81
* Software Platform: 2.7.0.78
* File name: 8820EastAsia_PBr4.5.0_rel108_PL2.7.0.78_A4.5.0.81_Voda_Australia.exe
* File size: 73.83MB
Download Link: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=B86E8D03FE992D1B0E19656875EE557C

Instructions for installing on ANY 8820 (regardless of carrier)

1. Download the above OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a white screen with an hourglass for up to 20 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."
If, for some reason, you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to the PC again and run Loader.exe again and it should load the OS to the device.

Prev. version of OS: http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/149543-latest-os-8820-4-5-0-92-4-5-0-69-multilanguage.html

John Clark
09-25-2008, 01:53 AM
Nice

Stuck thread.

mdlissner
09-25-2008, 05:52 AM
8800 Version is there also.

bluejacket
09-25-2008, 06:10 AM
Cheers,

Anything to report?

I still find it bizarre and amusing how these releases come out in dribs and drabs. Do other handset manufacturers release their updates like this? Anyone know when over-the-air updates will be available, and how they will be coordinated (centrally or through carriers)?

bluejacket
09-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Oh for goodness sake. Handset borked during install yet again (I blame parallels). I'm trying to downgrade the OS, but I don't think it's able to connect. Is there a way to force the handset to receive instructions from the desktop without resetting and having to reinstall my apps for the zillionth time?

The screen right now is all text, and says Blackberry platform 2.7.0.78 across the top... and has a list of applications and things below...

(I got fed up and am resetting it, although I have realised that if you connect it to the desktop with the battery out, it goes straight for the rom, and ignores the possibly messed up OS...)

Cory Scheuer
09-25-2008, 05:22 PM
upgrade looks good... the only thing is the status screen is messed... see:

Other then that, everything looks good... solved the issue with the UMA and Bluetooth... which makes me happy... other then that it runs as it should without any issues

bluejacket
09-25-2008, 06:05 PM
Blackberry Maps is back, and the mail setup icon is called prov.bwc.G707707...

Also since all my apps got deleted int he crash I reinstaled Google apps and they're all shiny and new... multiple mail accounts in one mail program...

aviatorltba
09-28-2008, 06:45 AM
I have a dual line sim card provided by my operator. I can switch from one line to the other by means of a java applet and I used to have Line 1 or Line 2 (i.e active line) instead of operator name on the home screen when I am in home service coverage. After I upgraded to 4.5.0.108 it is not available. When I reset the device it shows the active line number until i switch to other line. When switched it does not show the line number anymore, it shows the operator name till next re-boot. Anyone observed the same issue?

spyder8800
09-30-2008, 09:38 AM
my phone does not vibrate when set to vibrate....anyone else seeing this?

bluejacket
10-01-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm getting hourglasses every two seconds, which is not really ideal...

bluejacket
10-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Seems like that might have been down to the new Google app.

bluejacket
10-01-2008, 03:08 PM
I don't know what happened, but by my E-mail Settings icon is called 'E-mail Settings' again.

kdrweez
10-01-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm getting hourglasses every two seconds, which is not really ideal...

Me too, but it's like every 2 hours, and lasts for 2 minutes.

Cory Scheuer
10-01-2008, 11:46 PM
i have not had that issue... but then again i'm not running that google app, just google maps

bluejacket
10-02-2008, 01:15 AM
This thread might help: http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/152483-hour-glass.html

I haven't yet reinstalled the google app.

djhobbes
10-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Okay, I feel silly for even thinking this question much less asking, but I cannot resist (nor find the answer)...

This update doesn't have any ill effects on an english unit, does it?

Griffog
10-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Installed without issues on mine (UK T-Mobile)

Kida
10-06-2008, 11:41 AM
I have the BB 8820 ( unlocked) which I bought recently. I use in Mozambique and tried top upgrade to OS to 4.5. In the process what I get is the white blanck screen with small icon and 507. I can't even get work this phone as it was orignally. Any help.

Thanks

Kida

Dawgfan
10-06-2008, 06:19 PM
I have an 8820 that was running 4.2 and I installed 4.5 via Desktop Software today and now when I try to do a soft reset it just stays off and a red LED flashes in a weird pattern.

Anyone know what this is and how to fix it?

taajo
10-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Has anybody upgraded a T-mobile 8820 to this version? If yes, does the UMA work OK? Any issues with UMA and bluetooth together? Any special instructions to follow to upgrade the T-mobile 8820?

Thanks.

ULTRON
10-08-2008, 11:38 PM
I upgraded and it works flawlessly. Thanks.

ULTRON

KaSt72
10-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Hi,
although I generally read this forum I've never posted before.
Mostly because I always find the answer to a problem people here already had, other people helped solving, so thanks for that.

Now, the reason to post here is also that since I updated my 8820 to this release, can't connect to my BES anymore.

To be sincere, there are two things:
I was switching provider and while waiting for the next one to activate the BB service, I did the ONE thing not to do, updated my phone.

Now, does any of you use this release on a BES?

When I try to do the Enterprise activation, my phone just timeouts and goes to a cycle of "Retrying", till I have to remove battery and start over because it won't accept to cancel the activation anymore.

Could it be that my new provider doesn't send Service Books for BES when you subscribe for BIS (my previous provider provisioned both).
I asked my new provider but wasn't really satisfied by the answer, the guy was very nice but probably didn't get my question and there is no way to talk to a tech guy.

Could it be that this release has issues with BES with wireless activation? It's a hosted BES, can't do USB activation.

Any clue?

Thanks,
Ka.

John Clark
10-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

Your IT must set you a new password foir activation. Its not the same as your email password. You'll have to give them a call.

KaSt72
10-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks, but the password has been given me by the system, I do know it.

Must be something else...

Ka.

John Clark
10-11-2008, 05:37 PM

Its only valid one time so if you've used it you'll need to get another.

KaSt72
10-11-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm using an hosted BES with activation time out set to 72 hours and a password mailed to me every time I reset the service via the web control panel.

I did manage to setup a 8100 using the same hosted service. Their system works.

Now my 8820 and the new os won't get past the Activating/retry part.

Just tried to type a "non BES" email address and bogus password (as somebody suggested in another thread) to see if the EPT message (or whatever its called) was dropped in my mailbox and it did, but being another email which is not "BES", nobody picked up the message.

Then tried again with the one that is on BES and was constantly refreshing my Outlook web access to see if the message was appearing.
No message.
Checked my spam filters, all disabled.

Is the server so quick that the message is dropped and picked up so fast I don't get a chance to see it?
Is it that the email address is wicked and won't receive EPT messages but others do?

Any idea?
Thanks,
Ka.

John Clark
10-11-2008, 05:50 PM

I'm not familiar with how you get your password. I usually just start EA via USB from DM with an online connection to my email account.

KaSt72
10-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Well, thanks anyway.

In case somebody has other ideas, I take!

Ka.

John Clark
10-11-2008, 05:59 PM

Did it send you any [Desktop] service books?

If it were me, I'd cancel the activation, delete any service books, reboot the device, get a NEW password and start the EA again. There are no issues with the OS.

KaSt72
10-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Well, thanks, that cleared my question on "is this release giving hard times to BES".

Must be something in my config then, either MX records not being BB friendly, either my phone not being provisioned correctly for BES (only for BIS) or the aliens.

One stupid question, if you try to activate a phone who has not been provisioned for BES, will you have ETP.DAT message generated or not at all?

Thanks again,
Ka.

John Clark
10-11-2008, 06:09 PM

Not sure. It does have to be on a BES plan. Was it activated on BES before or is a first time EA?

KaSt72
10-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Was on a different carrier working on my own BES and BIS.
Changed carrier and before getting the BB service on the new carrier, switched my own BES to an hosted one (two BBs in total).

Before getting back on the BB network with the new carrier, updated my phone to this release, wiped, cleaned, removed previous policy on my BB.

Tried activation on a 8100 with previous carrier, works fine on new hosted BES.

Tried activation on 8820, keeps retrying, no ETP seen. With another email not on BES, the ETP message is received in the "other email" inbox.

Can't see the ETP message on the hosted BES email. Or I'm too slow between message arriving and BES picking it up.

That's to summarise my thing.

Thanks,
Ka.

OmaniMan
10-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Is arabic langauge avaliable?

m0unds
10-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Gah. I updated the firmware on my device and lost access to the BB browser and hotspot browser. I resent the service books but it didn't help. Oh well, I guess I'll just use Opera Mini for now. Anyone else have this problem with AT&T & this version of the OS?

acohen
10-22-2008, 02:16 PM
I too upgraded to this newest OS and found that I lost my internet browser. I have the 8800 (no wifi) and am on BES with AT&T as my service provider. The company provisioned WAP browser is present and I have loaded Opera Mini as an alternative to the BB internet browser.

I have tried everything to rectify the browser issue (service books, hosting tables, battery pull, etc.). Nothing seems to be working but having the HTML email and other enhancements that come with this OS is worth it to me for the time being.

AC

jfkeith
11-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Ok, I've been having a lot of problems with this OS. I have posted about some of the problems in other threads, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas. The problems are:

hourglass at random times, which can last up to 5 minutes
blackberry messenger will randomly close and/or close all conversations
was having browser issues, but better now
programs are really slow to startup and run

The main problem is the lag with the hourglass, because I will need to get into my BB and the hourglass stops me from unlocking the screen. This has become a serious problem because I will need to make a call really quick and it can take minutes before it will open.

I've tried to do everything, and I see that some people have had similar problems. I'm thinking about downgrading to an older version, does anyone know what is the best OS before 4.5.0.181?

Thanks

m0unds
11-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Do you happen to have any google apps installed? There was a release of the gmail app that caused the hourglass condition on my BB (before i upgraded to this OS) after i removed it and installed the newest version (of the gmail app) it stopped doing it.

nemesis1979
11-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Hi there Lads,
New into the whole BB experience(and I looovvveee it to be honest:))),so forigive me if I'll repeat somebodys question.
Got 8820 on ebay (previously locked to Orange UK but unlocked now)
Is it possible to keep the themes that are included and upgrade the soft?
Thanx in advance.

Xion901
11-07-2008, 11:54 AM
What are the improvements with this new OS?

jfkeith
11-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Do you happen to have any google apps installed? There was a release of the gmail app that caused the hourglass condition on my BB (before i upgraded to this OS) after i removed it and installed the newest version (of the gmail app) it stopped doing it.

Yea I did actually, that was a good find thanks for the help. I actually found the link up above that had another thread talking about it, google needs to fix that asap cause it almost makes the phone unusable at some points.

hjacker
11-20-2008, 08:58 PM
When will be the multilang one available?

SocialScope
11-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Works better than 4.5.0.92 for me