PDA

View Full Version : Odd question regarding cell sites

jmwking
09-25-2008, 10:55 AM
I live in the DC metro area and use VZW. Where I live, there are a half dozen or so cell sites nearby (within a mile or two) as shown by google maps' "my location". (Well "my location" and the lack of gps on VZW phones, but that's a different discussion long since beaten to death, but useful here.)

There is a particular site that consistently gives me data connectivity problems. When google maps shows me there, data is very slow and inconsistent (even though I typically get -85ish and 1XEV from it). I suspect it's oversubscribed - there's a new high rise right next door to the site. (I think calls go directly to voice mail more often, too, but that's harder to measure.)

If I wander around a bit and get my BB to hop to a different site (even one that might show -95ish and 1XEV or even 1X) I get much better data throughput. If I go more than a few miles away from here, all my problems disappear.

VZW claims to be putting a new site nearby sometime. I have no reason to believe or disbelieve them but I'd like a resolution sooner rather than later.

So is there any way to keep my BB from attaching to that one site? Or any other ideas? It drives me batty!

-jk

akosnitzky
09-25-2008, 11:32 AM
On your phone dial *228 and you should get the latest update.

jmwking
09-25-2008, 01:11 PM
On your phone dial *228 and you should get the latest update.

That I regularly do, but it doesn't let me ignore the certain site. I'm hoping to stay away from a cell site that's trouble.

I rather suspect I'm doomed.

-jk