PDA

View Full Version : Too many returns from Lookup

aldriam
09-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Has anyone came up with a solution for identifying entries in an address lookup on the handheld? We use Lotus Notes and have a naddress book of 50,000+ users. If a user perform a lookup for a common name, Like Smith, David the return results are quite numerous. With only the first and last name displayed, the user is force to open each entries to determine which user is the desired one.

Any tips or techniquest to make the task easier for the user?

Thanks

WNO
09-12-2005, 08:01 PM
With that many similar entries, I'm wondering how you manage to find the right entry even when using your desktop computer!

In any event, the best solution I can think of is to search for the company name along with the addressee's name, whenever you're searching for someone with a common name. For example, if you're trying to find the David Smith that works at Boeing, you could type "boe" [space] "dav", using additional letters as may be necessary to distinguish Boeing from the BOE, or David from Davina, etc. You could even add another space and "sm" to exclude David Jones, Wally Davidson, etc., and possible another space and an "a" to exclude David M. Smith. That strategy should help narrow down the returns except where there are multiple people with the same name at the same company. In such an event, there's not much you can do other than adding distinguishing info to the company and/or name fields for easier lookup.

aldriam
09-12-2005, 10:56 PM
Within Notes, we have been the results of a search making it a little less difficult to identify a user.

Will mapping additional fields to the handheld address book allow a more advanced search?

joginder
09-12-2005, 11:02 PM
BTW.. is there any way to search for a partial phone number in the address book. I have address book and need to find if there is a # ending with 8765

WNO
09-13-2005, 11:25 PM
aldriam, I didn't understand the part about how you're making the searches easier in Notes. In any event, as far as I know, you can only lookup-filter the address book using the name and company name. I suppose you could map the company field to a different field in Notes, but then you'd lose the ability to lookup-filter by company. If your note field in Notes is mapped to a different field in the address book, you could use the BB search app to look for the distinguishing info in non-name, non-company fields, but I would suspect that such searches would take a long time for a database that big.

joginder, I haven't found a way to do it on the BB. I would imagine that, if possible, it would be through the search app and not the address book itself. If this is a one-time thing, and you're not looking for a mobile solution you can use all the time in the field, I would suggest synching/exporting the address book to a PC format that will allow for a more thorough search. (I was going to say that if you're looking for a number that STARTS with 8675, it would probably be Jenny at 867-5309...but you actually typed "8765." Darn dyslexia.)