PDA

View Full Version : Any recommended GPS enabled Gas station finders

varocketry
09-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Are there any recommended Blackberry GPS enabled mobile phone apps that one can search for nearby gas stations based on GPS location info?

Also, It'd be interesting to work with someone to build an app/script for the Blackberry that would store GPS location and gas prices observed for uploading via email/sms to GasBuddy.com .

Jim

Stinsonddog
09-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Telenav is the best but it does have a subscription cost of $10 a month. You save that in gas tho. Go get it and make life easy.

FF2
09-28-2008, 09:48 AM
You are not on Verizon but their Navigator does that. Last night while driving home from Eastern WA, on I-90, I decided to check for Gas Stations (rest rooms, actually) and it located a number of stations and also had the price of gas at those stations. I don't know how accurate the pricing was.

The Tank
09-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Wirelessly posted

Google Maps is free and works with the device's GPS. In the Search window just type "gas stations" and it will plot them and can further provide you driving directions if you want.

UncleMike
09-28-2008, 02:38 PM
If you're actually on the move, something like Telenav should also have the ability to locate stations along your current route, possibly even the lowest price along your current route. If you're stationary, or don't particularly mind a detour, and aren't concerned with price, something like Google Maps should work well.

spbbp
09-28-2008, 03:33 PM
For those of us who do not want to pay for Telenav (rebranded or not), application space of 1MB onwards is not justifiable just to search for cheapest gas within a radius of current location. Google maps finds the nearest gas stations; but does not present the price information.

A standalone small application that would search for the cheapest specified type of gas (regular, supreme, diesel, etc.) within a radius of current location would be ideal. Sometime I have found a price difference of upto 10 cents within 10 mile radius...

Shaun
09-28-2008, 07:07 PM
I had gone back and forth with a dev at GasBuddy.com several months ago about this topic. At that point I was told that they were beginning work on an app that would incorporate GasBuddy data with GPS enabled phones.

MBW
09-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Get the Where.com application from WHERE™ &raquo: loading... (http://where.com) and choose the GasBuddy widget; it has a ton of location-aware application widgets you can also load.

Shaun
09-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Get the Where.com application from WHERE™ &raquo: loading... (http://where.com) and choose the GasBuddy widget; it has a ton of location-aware application widgets you can also load.

I have tried this service , well attempted to try, and I never receive the SMS message on my phone.

spbbp
09-29-2008, 09:48 PM
I have tried this service , well attempted to try, and I never receive the SMS message on my phone.

Same here; I never receive the SMS either...

spbbp
10-14-2008, 12:22 PM

You can now download this (Where) application from mobile.blackberry.com. Go to "Applications->Travel & Mapping" and you will see "Where". I was able to download and install it on my BB. Gasbuddy widget was included by default.

Renegade4x4
10-14-2008, 01:14 PM
i have mapquest and it works great a year subscription is only 50 bucks like 4 something a month. the gas prices feature works well and is fairly accurate.

Chris

dbltap
10-16-2008, 07:26 AM
The new Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry will do this. When you choose My Favorites, fuel is one of the options. You can then choose to search by fuel grade and it will show you the closest stations and the price for that grade. Works very well.

spbbp
10-16-2008, 10:39 PM
But "Where" is free, whereas both mapquest and garmin are NOT.

It worked really well for me today; I had to take a 1.5 miles diversion from my normal route to get the gas at 20 cents cheaper than other gas stations. ;o)

Redflea
10-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Though I wish I didn't have to type in "gas station" (Google Maps should have some common built-in searches!) GMaps is great at this...you'll get a map w/the virtual pins showing all the nearby gas stations based on your current GPS (if you have that) or cell-tower triangulated position.

Free, accurate, fast. And now w/Street View as well. Hard to beat that, unless you add prices.

spbbp
10-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Though I wish I didn't have to type in "gas station" (Google Maps should have some common built-in searches!) GMaps is great at this...you'll get a map w/the virtual pins showing all the nearby gas stations based on your current GPS (if you have that) or cell-tower triangulated position.

Free, accurate, fast. And now w/Street View as well. Hard to beat that, unless you add prices.

But does Gmaps show current price of gas at these nearby gas stations?

dbltap
10-17-2008, 10:58 AM
But "Where" is free, whereas both mapquest and garmin are NOT.

PROVIDED you can get Where to work. I've loaded it several times and it always failes with an error on startup and seays it is sending the rror back to Where.

Shrugs. Must not be Bold ready.

Redflea
10-17-2008, 11:08 AM
But does Gmaps show current price of gas at these nearby gas stations?

As I said in my post "Hard to beat that, unless you add prices." :)

So no - GMaps doesn't have prices at this time.

spbbp
10-17-2008, 11:12 AM
As I said in my post "Hard to beat that, unless you add prices." :)

So no - GMaps doesn't have prices at this time.

My bad; did not read attentively...