PDA

View Full Version : The New BlackBerry 7270 WiFi

ScOObydoo
10-18-2004, 09:32 AM
WOW... this i going to be a very exciting device. Can't wait to try one.

Skive
10-18-2004, 10:02 AM
It'll be interesting for the sake of trying a new toy, but it won't get really interesting till a later gen product that supports wifi and gprs. I wonder if it will use the 7290 or 7230 form factor.

ScOObydoo
10-18-2004, 11:08 AM
It'll be interesting for the sake of trying a new toy, but it won't get really interesting till a later gen product that supports wifi and gprs. I wonder if it will use the 7290 or 7230 form factor.

Do you know if RIM will be providing their own phone infrastructure for this, or will you still need a third party SIP compliant switch?

bb_tech
10-18-2004, 04:42 PM

Do you know if RIM will be providing their own phone infrastructure for this, or will you still need a third party SIP compliant switch?

The company will need their own WLAN and VOIP infrastructure. The 7270 will integrated with the companies network.

bperkins
10-19-2004, 08:08 AM
Would this phone be able to use my home Wifi connection for voice and data when not on a cellular network?

canesfins
10-19-2004, 09:08 AM
From what I gather, and correct me if I am wrong, but this product is for the purpose of integrating a staff of a company when on company grounds correct? It is not a device for blackberry usage as we know it now.

bfrye
10-19-2004, 09:29 AM
That's a good question.

It would be nice to integrate both corporate email, and our Audix systems into blackberry and have it work remotely.

bb_tech
10-19-2004, 09:30 AM
It will not work on home or public WLAN networks. It'll only work on a company campus.

bperkins
10-19-2004, 08:41 PM
Thanks Guys. It would be nice for it to work that way, but since Rim is renowned with its security I can understand why.

bfrye
10-19-2004, 10:43 PM
So it seems that while at work, you could integrate this into pretty much having your desk at your hip (as far as email and phone goes)... but while away email still works, but desk phone is gone?

bb_tech
10-20-2004, 09:02 AM
So it seems that while at work, you could integrate this into pretty much having your desk at your hip (as far as email and phone goes)... but while away email still works, but desk phone is gone?

Nothing will work while away from from campus. You would have to switch to a GPRS/CDMA/iDEN device before you go home (if you wanted email while not at work)

bfrye
10-20-2004, 09:06 AM
Seems kind of silly though. I would think it would take the WLAN connection first, and if none is available switch to your carrier... Then again that would probably be a good bit of hardware to pack into the same form factor device...

bb_tech
10-20-2004, 03:47 PM
This device is geared more towards large companies with wlan networks already. With this device you have NO monthly fee because it doesn't connect to a carrier network. Also, it is a good device for health care as GPRS, etc. devices aren't allowed in hospitals.

Skive
10-20-2004, 04:05 PM
Seems kind of silly though. I would think it would take the WLAN connection first, and if none is available switch to your carrier... Then again that would probably be a good bit of hardware to pack into the same form factor device...

In all liklihood, future devices will work like this one, but the 7270 is wifi only and thus doesn't have another network to fall back onto.

bfrye
10-20-2004, 08:57 PM

In all liklihood, future devices will work like this one, but the 7270 is wifi only and thus doesn't have another network to fall back onto.

Agreed that would be awesome in the health care field and other orgs where the same rules would be applicable..

...but it would be awesome if future devices would incorporate both options as a way to connect. Theoretically, you could be cross-country from your desk, and no one would be able to really tell a different by phone or email that you weren't there...

I can dream right? ;)

Inphektion
10-21-2004, 12:04 PM
If it's VOIP works with cisco callmanager I'd love to try it out... but if it is wifi ONLY then its usefullness would be extremely minimal.

azteco
11-04-2004, 01:50 PM

Jagga
11-23-2004, 02:20 AM

jefferyds
11-30-2004, 01:45 PM

NJBlackBerry
11-30-2004, 01:54 PM

tDotBB
01-04-2005, 12:54 PM
This device is geared more towards large companies with wlan networks already. With this device you have NO monthly fee because it doesn't connect to a carrier network. Also, it is a good device for health care as GPRS, etc. devices aren't allowed in hospitals.

bb_tech's got it right. From what I gather, RIM's intention is to sell more devices to corporates that don't want to pay a carrier for phone/email access for mobile employees ON CAMPUS. Medical's probably a target too as bb_tech suggests. Palms are the device of choice for the medical profession right now, and RIM probably wants a piece of that.

Imagine the guy (or gal) that works on the factory floor whom you want to get a quick response from. The guy's rarely at his desk, but always needs to be in contact. Why pay a carrier $60/month/employee when you can just buy the device (and probably capitalize the cost) and he's good to go for years? Pretty good security too, since the device only works 'on campus'.

Why even bother giving the guy the option to use it off campus? He's not a mobile worker in the true sense of the word, as he only works on campus. No sense paying monthly bills for this guy, but you want him to be able to communicate wherever he's at work.

bophasa
02-13-2005, 11:15 PM
So this will be Wi/Fi only?

NJBlackBerry
02-14-2005, 06:42 AM
Yes. WiFi only.

WirelessGuy
02-14-2005, 01:56 PM
Can't say a word about them right now. :( But expect some comments once they go public. :wink: Sorry to tease you all.

T-Roy
02-17-2005, 11:05 AM
http://www.blackberry.com/products/blackberry7200/blackberry7270.shtml

Tom
02-21-2005, 07:27 PM
http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=29279#29279

zygut
03-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Did anyone get one of these 7270's? I can't find anywhere online where the price of the unit is disclosed, you have to enter a form on the RIM site to get a sales rep to call you. My guess is that they only do bulk orders.

d_fisher
03-12-2006, 11:13 PM
I dont think you have to do bulk orders, but you do have to purchase it directly from RIM. Your using a cellular network, so none of the carriers are going to see it.

zygut
03-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Any ideas what they cost? It would be a nice wifi device, if it were outrageously expensive.

wakko
03-15-2006, 11:42 PM
Any ideas what they cost? It would be a nice wifi device, if it were outrageously expensive.

I've been evaling two units from rim for about four months now. At the time they were shipped to me they were listed at $499 "with modest discounts at 10 and 100 units per order"

There is a bit more upfront cost, but by not having a monthly data charge, you save in the long run. Of course, provided that the use case of a wifi blackberry works for your users

Postalrecon
03-22-2006, 08:51 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7520/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

This may be a weird question, but what's the point of having a blackberry on a wi-fi network in your office if you're there to receive your emails?

Postalrecon
03-22-2006, 08:53 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7520/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

This may be a weird question, but what's the point of having a blackberry on a wi-fi network in your office if you're there to receive your emails?

tomryan
03-22-2006, 10:05 AM

Lets say you work on a large campus that his VOIP and WIFI available. Anywhere you go, you can access your email and the pbx.

Postalrecon
03-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Lets say you work on a large campus that his VOIP and WIFI available. Anywhere you go, you can access your email and the pbx.
but what about once you leave, i see the purpose of that, now could you get on someone elses network and make calls?

wakko
03-27-2006, 11:56 PM
but what about once you leave, i see the purpose of that, now could you get on someone elses network and make calls?

Similar to your laptop, it can be set up to associate with multiple wifi networks. The only restriction right now is it doesn't support gateway access (ie starbucks, t-mobile; where you have to log in) Also it supports a handlful of vpn concentrators, it has the client built in. So, if you hop on to your friend's wi-fi network, you can enable the vpn and you're connected to your bes and sip server.

SkyPilot
03-28-2006, 10:23 AM
This is not 7270 related just wanted to say hello to a fellow tom ryan
SkyPilot
telus 7520

Trugoy
03-28-2006, 01:54 PM
I just got my hands on an eval 7270 unit, but haven't been able to get Wireless Enterprise Activation to work, it doesn't show up in Options. Any ideas if this is possible?

phrider
03-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Similar to your laptop, it can be set up to associate with multiple wifi networks. The only restriction right now is it doesn't support gateway access (ie starbucks, t-mobile; where you have to log in) Also it supports a handlful of vpn concentrators, it has the client built in. So, if you hop on to your friend's wi-fi network, you can enable the vpn and you're connected to your bes and sip server.T-Mobile Hotspots WiFi will do WAP/TKIP/TTLS/PAP authentication (with a server crtificate from domain t-mobile.com) on some WiFi cards. It wouldn't work for my Intel card/ software, however. Can the 7270 do WAP authentication?

wakko
03-29-2006, 10:29 PM
I just got my hands on an eval 7270 unit, but haven't been able to get Wireless Enterprise Activation to work, it doesn't show up in Options. Any ideas if this is possible?

As far as I can tell the 7270's must be activated directly against the bes

wakko
03-29-2006, 10:34 PM
T-Mobile Hotspots WiFi will do WAP/TKIP/TTLS/PAP authentication (with a server crtificate from domain t-mobile.com) on some WiFi cards. It wouldn't work for my Intel card/ software, however. Can the 7270 do WAP authentication?

I don't know specifically about wap authentication, but I don't believe it currently supports it. This was a limitation at the time I had my discussion with rim. I asked specifically if there were any wifi restrictions, and the response was it needed to be an open or wep secure (no wpa support yet) access point. Starbucks type hotspots where the user must authenticate would not work. So certificate auth would not work in this case. I think they mentioned future plans to support this, but I haven't been following the latest updates with this device.

wolfsong
04-21-2006, 08:29 PM
I don't know specifically about wap authentication, but I don't believe it currently supports it. This was a limitation at the time I had my discussion with rim. I asked specifically if there were any wifi restrictions, and the response was it needed to be an open or wep secure (no wpa support yet) access point. Starbucks type hotspots where the user must authenticate would not work. So certificate auth would not work in this case. I think they mentioned future plans to support this, but I haven't been following the latest updates with this device.
I'm actually a T-Mobile HotSpot employee. You don't have to use WPA at any of our locations. All locations have either WPA or open auth options.

garagemusic
05-08-2006, 12:52 PM
does this with work the nortel mcs5100???

thanks

billy hutchison
05-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Just to clarify something for some people here...

WiFi is the transport mechanism, but the LANGUAGE of the call will likely be SIP, although IAX or H.323 would be possible as well. Having the device as a SIP client will allow the greatest compatibility with corporate PBX systems. Won't matter if you have a Cisco, Nortel, Teltronics or something else - as long as the SIP stack and supported RFC are the same.

stufried
05-31-2006, 08:33 AM
It will not work on home or public WLAN networks. It'll only work on a company campus.

Too bad. I'm sitting here my blackberry which is internationally roaming which is tethered to my notebook which is in turn connected to a free internet connection. Something is wrong with this picture.

santorop
06-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Has anyone used a 7270 with Asterisk yet?

jeremy
06-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Yes. It works great.

Has anyone used a 7270 with Asterisk yet?

jwinters
06-22-2006, 01:57 PM

wakko
08-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Too bad. I'm sitting here my blackberry which is internationally roaming which is tethered to my notebook which is in turn connected to a free internet connection. Something is wrong with this picture.

It does support a few vpn clients so you can use it to connect back to your corp network.